Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the forum and haven't found the answer I'm looking for, so my apologies if this has been covered.

I have a 2014 Sonata and just installed wheels from a 2014 Veloster Turbo. The wheels didn't have any TPMS sensors in them, so I put in Schrader 28505 sensors which are made for the Veloster. The 28505 is a rubber snap-in style that's 315 MHz.These are supposedly already programmed out of the box.

The Sonata is not recognizing the sensors. My low tire light flashes and then stays on.

The original Sonata sensors were aluminum clamp-in style and 315 MHz.

Did I make a mistake here? Everything I found in my online searches of forums seemed to point to this being pretty painless.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
417 Posts
You need to buy the same OEM sensors that were on your original stock wheels. I bought mine on eBay. I installed 19" Veloster N wheels on my 2014 Sonata and I purchased the OEM TPMS sensors with the same Model/Item# as the stock sensors. No programming was needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to buy the same OEM sensors that were on your original stock wheels. I bought mine on eBay. I installed 19" Veloster N wheels on my 2014 Sonata and I purchased the OEM TPMS sensors with the same Model/Item# as the stock sensors. No programming was needed.
I read your thread. Your wheels are off a 2019 Veloster with 433 MHz sensors, right?

I used the 2014 Veloster 315 MHz sensors to match the frequency for the Sonata.

Everything else I've read suggests that all the Hyundai sensors play well together if they are the same frequency and in the same year ranges. Maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
417 Posts
Well, I didn't use the Veloster TPMS sensors because they were not compatible with the Sonata. The sensors can come off the same year, but they also have to be from the same model (Sonata). I also purchased a set of 16" 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid wheels (for winter) and those TPMS sensors worked with my car because they came off of a Sonata. So, unless your TPMS sensors came from a Sonata, they won't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know that not all vehicles automatically recognize new wheels. Some have to be “told” that new wheels are one.

I had a Colorado some years back that was that way. I had to put it in a learn mode and then lower the air in the appropriate wheel until the vehicle picked up the change in pressure. Then move onto the next one. Had to do this when switching between summer and winter wheels (or back again) even though all the sensors were compatible.

I know that many newer vehicles will pick up the new wheels as you drive, maybe the Sonata is the same way. Just thought I’d mention it in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts