Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend tell me they were based on the ABS sensors but this doesn't sound right. Anybody know if they've got the RF-based sensors or not?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 4 2010, 05:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361060
I had a friend tell me they were based on the ABS sensors but this doesn't sound right. Anybody know if they've got the RF-based sensors or not?
Yes, they absolutely do, and my left front is beginning to annoy me. Door sill claims 30 lbs pressure. If I forget to tell the shop to run me up to my standard 33, they set at 30. Drop that bugger just 1 pound to 29psi and off it goes. Doesn't have the margin that the others have. I'm more accustomed to them going off at 25psi or so. The ones in my 300M are rock solid and reliable enough to give me true psi readings on all 4 corners (not just idiot lights). Saved my butt once when I left a shop with one tire at 45psi after rotation. They forgot to relieve the pressure after the mount!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So yes they are RF based?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 4 2010, 07:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361112
So yes they are RF based?
Yes - they are individual RF transponders on the stems on each tire. The Hyundai system (at least thru '09) is kind of pain in the neck in that the "computer" for the TPMS can't remember 8 different sensors, so swapping a set of winter rims kinda blows up the idea of a TPMS equipped winter set. The dealer has to initiate a reprogram if you want to do that.

Again, in some ways, I much prefer the Chrysler approach on my 300M. It will pick up whatever sensors are installed (including the one on the spare!) and you program where they're located on the car yourself by initiating the process on the trip computer, then tossing a donut on each one in sequence to identify where each one lives (the donut kills the signal to the transponder of the stem it's on, so that particular one ceases to respond and is hence identified). It could be simpler than that yet, but at least it doesn't require a trip to the dealer. Then again, it's necessary to perform that exercise when you rotate tires, so there's yet another downside to the Chrysler arrangement. I still can't understand why the auto manufacturers can't manage to pick these up completely automatically and register them.

I think the OP alludes to another (old) system where the vehicle measured the speed of the ABS sensor "fins" to detect a tire that was moving too slowly and assumed low pressure from that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts