Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here in the Northeast, we are under a deep freeze. This morning I came out (4 degrees) and my "warning low tire pressure" light was on. I got out and the tires looked fine. I have no gage. I stopped and put a little air in anyway and still was on. I also was having new tires put on today and I picked the car up and thel ight is still on. I drove away from Mavis without realizing this. But, the tires are all inflated and I am sure they inflated to factory specs. Maybe the TPMS needs to be reset? Is there a way to reset the light? I didnt see it in the manual on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Seem a common issue lately, with multiple threads. My wife had hers come on from the cold depressurizing her tires, and after adding air, the sensor went off right away, but we're not in the Frozen CT Tundra. Buy a gauge, as everyone should have one. The light should go off on it's own in time if all is well. Your guys may have filled to 32PSI, and in the cold that drops enough to set it off, based on my experience.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Does the GT Spare tire have a TPMS too? There is TPMS on Chevy Silverado spares. The peeps at our work and I inflated all 4 tires.. the TPMS light was still on. The dealer inflated the spare and the TPMS went off.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
It usually takes a mile or so to get the light to go off. You might consider nitrogen to reduce a recurrence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was just gonna start a thread on this aswell. I am also in CT and this morning my low tire pressure sensor came on. Funny cause yesterday was just as cold and it was fine. I didnt have time before work to check each tire, but did the kick test..haha...and they all seem fine. My question is, when i leave work today i am gonna check with a gauage. What is the correct tire pressure for the GT? I have the stock tires, will it be on the side door panel?

·
22,793 Posts
Not sure about the GT, but sedan is 32 on the door sticker. The temp can be the same for 5 to 6 days and no TPMS sensor alerts. But on day 7, they activate. That's because on the previous days, the pressures were dropping, just hadn't reached the "activation point" for the TPMS to engage. Then, on day 7, WHAMMO!

Tires should be checked frequently. If owners would check their pressures as often as they find themselves going to a fast food drive-thru window, there would hardly ever be any TPMS alerts. Especially in Winter. I do mine every weekend. Takes all of 3-4 minutes to walk around and monitor the readings on the gauge.

Biggest hassle and most labor-intensive job to overcome is the removing/installing of the caps. That's how some view this process: "It's such a pain to..." Yeah, sure it is! Go back to your leather Lazy-Boy recliner. The TPMS will alert you when its time. On a dark road, no stations nearby, no gauge in the car. Just an immediate sense of panic! No need for someone to be pro-active and show some love to their tires.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I usually run about 38 psi, but I think the recommended is about 34 psi.Geoff
With the max psi on the sidewall being 44 psi cold on mine I run around 40-41 year round as this gives me much better front tire wear but a slightly harsher ride. If I do the factory specs I get front wear on both outside edges. The factory specs are a compromise between better ride and wear.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That pressure is really pushing it......... Big danger of a blow out during hot summer driving at highway speeds (it does get hot in Chattanooga)

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
If it says max pressure is 44 lbs there is no more danger of them blowing out then if under inflated. The pressure rating is more for load carrying capacity. If you ever take a car out on a road track then you will see 50 lb pressures on those 44 lb rated tires and they take it without blowing out.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Thank you, it is and I have for years.

In fact if you research tire pressures you can find some recommendations that when running at or over the load ratings, inflating beyond the factory pressure is the answer. Tire heat buildup happens from too low of pressure. Certainly any tire with a 44 lb rating on it will not fail from over pressure when inflated to 44 lbs.

My current winter tires have a 51 lb rating. I run them at about 40-45 lbs.

Air Pressure/Load Adjustment for High Speed Driving
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to see other GT owners from CT. I thought I was the only one here!

As far as TPMS, I noticed my pressure (in the winter) needs constant attention, at least once a month or so. I have a feeling this is due to the nitrogen wearing out and regular oxygen taking over.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the TPMS starts flashing. This could be a major problem with the TPMS module.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ya....I ended up going to Town Fair Tire. They were super cool. They checked all the tires, they were all at 28! Def lower cause of that cold spell we had. He topped them off all to 32 and havent had an issue since. I need to invest in a digital TP gauge!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ya....I ended up going to Town Fair Tire. They were super cool. They checked all the tires, they were all at 28! Def lower cause of that cold spell we had. He topped them off all to 32 and havent had an issue since. I need to invest in a digital TP gauge!
Buy a good analog checker ...... I have tried several digital unit and they were not accurate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts