Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dash on my 06 LX has a TPMS indicator, but when I called around to get quotes for new tires they all stated I didn't have TPMS. I searched the forums and the user manual and couldn't find anything confirming that I did have TPMS. If I don't, why is the TPMS symbol on the dash? Could someone else with an 2006 LX confirm that there is or is not TPMS?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like I found my answer. The 2006 does NOT have TPMS. Still don't understand why the dash has the symbol. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure you have TPMS. Unless I'm mistaking, there was some rule that all cars after a certain point were required to have TPMS as standard equipment in the US. I was thinking all 2006+ Sonata's were past this date and had TPMS's installed. Though, there are some ways to test it out. First off, I'm pretty certain if you don't have TPMS, the lights would not function when you switch the ignition on. Second, if you let enough air out of a tire, you should get the dummy light on your dash :p

-edit-

OK, I was a bit off with my date, but I was still thinking the 06 Sonata's had it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pressure_monitoring_system
This act mandates the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) sold after September 1, 2007

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would go a little further on the issue.

You don't have it and you should be grateful you don't have it.

It's another add-on for people too lazy to maintain their car.

Get a digital tire gauge - use it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it the "TPMS" or the ! is lighting up then its on your car. if its just the "!" then you have a low tire. If the "TPMS" is on, there is an issue that needs attention. If your valve stems are metal/silver looking then yes you have it. It does NOT affect the replacement tires. But I would take it to a shop that is familiar with working on cars with TPMS. We get plenty of them in with a light on and new tires. The shop replaces the sensor and think that the system will auto learn it, it wont.

I think its a good system actually. Wife has it on her 07 tib. Her tire was a little low, but didnt show visually due to the low profile stuff. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes....but over all I like it.

Not ALL cars needed to have this system, but a certain # of them were required to have it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In the US, the 06 and early 07 NF Sonata's did not have tpms. You can tell if you have an early 07 by the xm antenna. If there is no antenna, it is an early 07. my 07 SE was made in sept of 06 and it does not have the xm antenna or the tpms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts