Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Elantra with 215k miles on it and about 4-5 months ago I started getting the TPMS light coming on and flashing for 60 seconds. Once it started, it happened every morning like clockwork, about 20 mins into my commute. I took the car into a tire shop at first and then the dealer. Long story short, the only thing that fixed the issue was to replace the TPMS controller and all four sensors. This happened about 3 weeks ago. In the three weeks the light has come on twice, flashing for 60 seconds and then solid. The two times this happened, the light stayed solid for maybe 5-10 mins then went off.

Yesterday, on my way to work, at the 20 min mark the light started flashing and then stayed solid and now the light is on all the time. Every time I turn the car on it will flash for 60 seconds and then stays solid.

What more can be done to fix this issue after replacing every component in the system except the harnesses? Could it be the harnesses? Maybe a short somewhere?

This is extremely frustrating. Is there anything else that I can do or should try?

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the TPMS system and a theory of operation at all? I know it's a long shot, but I design vehicle electrical systems for ag machines, so I know I can work through the issues myself, if I have the schematics and specs.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,425 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a diagram or even info on your specific vehicle because the Elantra isn't sold here in the UK. But I doubt TPMS will be model specific, so what info I have might be useful. Doesn't look like there is very much wiring involved going by the module connector pinout...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Being a CAN based system, either the fault is occurring inside the TPMS controller and the fault is being communicated properly or there is a CAN issue. I would rule out a CAN issue simply because there would be other faults on the CAN bus if this were the case. Maybe I am wrong, but my experience says CAN issues are more widespread.

The issue is the only way to really track down the error is to look into the code as it's running on the TPMS controller and see what is throwing it into a fault state, given all four sensors are new and it's intermittent.

The dealer is just wanting to swap parts and not really get in an diagnose this one.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,425 Posts
I would rule out a CAN issue simply because there would be other faults on the CAN bus if this were the case. Maybe I am wrong, but my experience says CAN issues are more widespread.
Yes, I agree.
It would be worth checking the fault memories of all the other modules on the bus though to see if there are any trouble codes indicating that the TPMS CAN messages are missing. Missing messages from one module could point to a fault with that modules power supply/ground.

kgrigio said:
The dealer is just wanting to swap parts and not really get in an diagnose this one.
They seem reluctant to diagnose anything from what I read on these forums. The problem is they don't employ any AUTOSPARKs in the dealerships these days :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts