Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-3 times a month the yellow TPMS light with exclamation point comes on, blinks about 10 times, and stays on steady. It's been doing this pretty consistently since I got the car, with one exception. I have a separate set of wheels & snow tires for winter and those have their own sensors. When I had those on the car for 2 months, I never saw the TPMS light. As soon as I put the OEM wheels back on, it lit again.

So finally I went to the dealer today. I figured it was a bad sensor. Naturally the light wasn't on when I got there. They scanned it and saw in the history a communication failure with all four wheels. They called Hyundai, then came back and told me that electronic equipment that I'm driving past can set it off. They mentioned banks & cell towers, among other things.

I don't think this is my issue. I travel the same route every day. The light comes on intermittently, sometimes when I'm on a rural highway away from any electronics. And I drive by plenty of banks and cell towers without it coming on.

So they didn't do anything for me. I'm at 43K. My concern is once I hit 60K and the warranty is done, if the TPMS brain croaks, I'll be on the hook for it.

Reading through this forum, I see a number of people with the same issue. I haven't read of any remedies though.

For now, I plan to write down the date, time and location every time the light comes on, and maybe after a couple months of history I can get them to do something.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
they told me the same thing.

"They called Hyundai, then came back and told me that electronic equipment that I'm driving past can set it off. They mentioned banks & cell towers, among other things."

i told them...the first time it happened....there wasn't a fence post within miles of me...let alone a cell tower. i did the same as you are wanting..i started documenting it on paper as well as a cell phone pic (they have the date/time embedded). when i took it in right before i turned 60k, i mentioned this to them again..and showed the documentation i had. they said if it ever breaks and throws a code..they will repair it - and they put it on a service ticket for me.

all my records/reciepts i had with the car went with the car when traded. otherwise, i would have shown you the ticket they printed for me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate that feedback. I hope it doesn't come to that in my case, but I guess I'll keep the records and press them on it. I just don't want to get stuck holding the bag on a total failure.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Isnt the TPMS system on our cars part of the main ECM? Or BCM? Either way, I wonder how you are getting the intermittent failure without seeing something else wrong. And weird that the car is not storing any codes for the dealer to pull...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds like BS to me, their way of getting out of having to diagnose a problem that isn't an easy fix. If it's happening with one set of sensors but not the other, then common sense dictates there is something wrong with those sensors.
Modern vehicle electronics are highly developed and are engineered to be very resistant to sources of RF and EMI. They won't put them in the cars until they are satisfied that they are going to work as intended without constant customer complaints or worse, liability issues. Chances are that while on a call with your phone, you could hold it right up to the wheels and not see the TPMS light come on (I'd try this at home first before doing it in front of the dealer though, just in case ;) ).
The field strength from a cell tower or equipment in a building is far too low to cause any interference problems to the electronics of your car driving by, if they seriously think otherwise they are clueless. But then they are dealer people and not RF engineers. The real engineers in Korea who design these systems know what they are doing.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I think TPMS issues are tricky when something goes wrong. My daughter's Jetta was back to the dealer three times for the same issue. They finally got it right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My parents have a 2006 BMW 325i, it has TPMS and the light to my knowledge never came on when I drove it for about 6 months. My Sonata, however, keeps blinking. One time my radio said possible TPMS condition and the other said possible TPMS malfunction. I am going in for my 15k service soon so I'll have them take a look at it and report back.

I think it's cheapo TPMS sensors that don't do so well against interference.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My parents have a 2006 BMW 325i, it has TPMS and the light to my knowledge never came on when I drove it for about 6 months. My Sonata, however, keeps blinking. One time my radio said possible TPMS condition and the other said possible TPMS malfunction. I am going in for my 15k service soon so I'll have them take a look at it and report back.

My 2008 Grand Prix has 146K miles now, and TPMS has never come on, except when I got a flat. :D I don't understand the issue, but it sounds like a fair amount of Sonata's have issues with it.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

This would be like me saying I've had my Sonata 15 months and the TPMS light has never come on. Therefore, no Sonatas ever have a TPMS problem. Any part on any car can fail at any time. Even a NEW part because NEW means Never Ever Worked. I've not heard of any widespread problems with the sensors in our Hyundais. Can some go bad - sure can.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I will speculate that nitrogen might solve your problem. My Santa Fe never had the light come on in a year and it came from the dealer with it installed. Not affected by temperature. Regular air will vary especially in the winter. Very common to all vehicles.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I will speculate that nitrogen might solve your problem. My Santa Fe never had the light come on in a year and it came from the dealer with it installed. Not affected by temperature. Regular air will vary especially in the winter. Very common to all vehicles.
I doubt this if he is experiencing the issue constantly. All Nitrogen is is a bigger molecule that is more "resistant" to leaking. I am also assuming when the lights go off he checks the air pressure in all four tires and finds no real deviation in pressure.

I have had zero issues with three cars of different makes and not using Nitrogen. The simple fact that his winters don't reproduce the issue leads me to believe that he needs to pressure the dealership to figure out which sensor is bad.

My guess is the testing procedure is a pain in the butt and the tech gets virtually no pay for diagnosis (if any) and they don't want to warranty all four sensors.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In my case...it ALWAYS happened while traveling on longer trips. first time was a soccer tournament in Des Moines, IA. this was 2 weeks after buying the car (Sept '10). light started blinking for about a minute. Then solid for awhile. tire pressures were fine. didn't happen again until March the following year. went to Denver for volleyball, and it didn't go off on the way there...but did go off on the way home. Again, no pressure issues. This time, i took it in...and that is when they told me the 'interference with surroundings' line. They did say..next time it happens, bring it in so they can look at it immediately. daily driving around...it never came on. throughout the almost 3 years of ownership...i believe it happened about 7 times. All seven was when we were on long trips.

and for the first time...this past month, on our way from San Antonio to Port Aransas, my veracruz tpms light did the same thing. i checked the tires at the next stop...and all were fine. Never came back on the rest of that trip.

and, for the record...EVERY time i would stop and shut the car off, the light would remain off - both cars

1 - 13 of 13 Posts