Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today riding to work... the little TPMS light (looks like a tire with and ! in the middle) came on - Started blinking for a minute then went solid. so I pulled off the highway and checked my tire pressure.. all tires were 31 or above.. (S/B 33)
Topped off all tires w/ air and went back on the road - light didn't go out... then on the way home, it went off... and it wasn't the cold.. It was a 'balmy' 20 this morning...
Owner's manual says it was the TPMS system malfunctioning OR interference from outside...

Anyone else see this?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've only seen TPMS on my Sonata once so far, and it was a tire legitimately low on air. But I know from my Impala that frosty temperatures can cause a false positive with TPMS.

And my cousin's Dodge Journey has that light on all through winter because of crappy sensors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
622 Posts
Today riding to work... the little TPMS light (looks like a tire with and ! in the middle) came on - Started blinking for a minute then went solid. so I pulled off the highway and checked my tire pressure.. all tires were 31 or above.. (S/B 33)
Topped off all tires w/ air and went back on the road - light didn't go out... then on the way home, it went off... and it wasn't the cold.. It was a 'balmy' 20 this morning...
Owner's manual says it was the TPMS system malfunctioning OR interference from outside...

Anyone else see this?? :confused:
When the light blinks, that means there's a fault in the TPMS system. Take it to a Hyundai dealer and have them scan it/repair

·
Registered
159 Posts
When the light blinks, that means there's a fault in the TPMS system. Take it to a Hyundai dealer and have them scan it/repair
The blinking is just an indicator of possible low tire pressure. It is not faulty. TPMS sensors do give false readings sometimes during colder weather. Very common thing. Dont worry about it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have had a similar problem on my 12 Sonata GLS over the past 6 months. I'd likely not get a response from my dealer as it hasn't come back on in several weeks now. I will probably wait til the tires are ready to change then replace the monitors as they aren't that expensive to replace the innards.

Walt

·
Registered
622 Posts
The blinking is just an indicator of possible low tire pressure. It is not faulty. TPMS sensors do give false readings sometimes during colder weather. Very common thing. Dont worry about it.
When the tire pressure light blinks, there IS a fault code or codes in the TPMS system! When you first start the vehicle, the light will blink for the first 30sec, then stay on solid. If it's JUST tire pressure, the light will ONLY be solid the entire time. RTFM

·
Registered
301 Posts
I thought sensors are ~$80 a piece?

I have had a similar problem on my 12 Sonata GLS over the past 6 months. I'd likely not get a response from my dealer as it hasn't come back on in several weeks now. I will probably wait til the tires are ready to change then replace the monitors as they aren't that expensive to replace the innards.

Walt

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
The colder weather causes the pressure to drop and once it goes below 30 you'll get a light. Pressure will increase as you start driving and once above 30, the light should go out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The colder weather causes the pressure to drop and once it goes below 30 you'll get a light. Pressure will increase as you start driving and once above 30, the light should go out.
Correct! Unless the light is blinking, then there's a fault code.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Mine's done it from day one, every 4-6 weeks. Interestingly, it never does it when I have my 2nd set of wheels/snow tires on (they have TPMS sensors also). Mentioned to the dealer when I was there. Of course it wasn't blinking when I was there. They told me it could happen by driving past a bank or some other kind of interference, lol. It's never happened once on my previous car that has TPMS.

Searching on this forum, I see a fair amount of people have the same issue. I think it's a flaw, and a nuisance that won't ever be fixed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Mine's done it from day one, every 4-6 weeks. Interestingly, it never does it when I have my 2nd set of wheels/snow tires on (they have TPMS sensors also). Mentioned to the dealer when I was there. Of course it wasn't blinking when I was there. They told me it could happen by driving past a bank or some other kind of interference, lol. It's never happened once on my previous car that has TPMS.

Searching on this forum, I see a fair amount of people have the same issue. I think it's a flaw, and a nuisance that won't ever be fixed.
Driving by something like an airport, police station, ect COULD cause electromagnetic interference like the dealer says. It would store a code in the TPMS system though. For some reason, a lot of techs misdiagnose TPMS problems. It's really not that difficult.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When the tire pressure light blinks, there IS a fault code or codes in the TPMS system! When you first start the vehicle, the light will blink for the first 30sec, then stay on solid. If it's JUST tire pressure, the light will ONLY be solid the entire time. RTFM
RTFM? Not necessary, as I deal with tpms sensors all day long sir. The "blinking" is an indication that your tire is getting low, the solid is letting you know it IS low. It doesnt blink when you start the car either. Unless, the pressure is low. It happens all the time in colder weather. In this vehicle, and many other vehicles also. So the "blinking" does not indicate necessarily there is something wrong with the tpms or the sensor itself.

·
Registered
884 Posts
RTFM? Not necessary, as I deal with tpms sensors all day long sir. The "blinking" is an indication that your tire is getting low, the solid is letting you know it IS low. It doesnt blink when you start the car either. Unless, the pressure is low. It happens all the time in colder weather. In this vehicle, and many other vehicles also. So the "blinking" does not indicate necessarily there is something wrong with the tpms or the sensor itself.
This may be so, but the issue I am talking about is a blinking even about once every 4-6 weeks, and it's not because the tire pressure is off. Mine's usually around 33 psi across all four wheels and I still have this issue regularly.

And I read my entire manual. :p

·
Registered
159 Posts

The tpms and sensors are proximity readers, meaning they have to be within a certain distance to read eachother. Driving by a bank or airport will not be within the proximity to cause interference. Depending on the vehicle, when you change out wheels and sensors, you also have to reprogram the vehicle to recognize the changed out sensors. Every vehicle manufacturer has issues with false low pressure readings due to many factors, mostly colder weather. Also the metal valve stems themselves can be an issue in places where salted roads are for winter time. I tell alot of customers if that becomes and issue, just use the sensor on the inside of the wheel with a sensor strap, and use a standard rubber valve stem. Alot of times that helps too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This may be so, but the issue I am talking about is a blinking even about once every 4-6 weeks, and it's not because the tire pressure is off. Mine's usually around 33 psi across all four wheels and I still have this issue regularly.

And I read my entire manual. :p
tire pressure changes in weather, during driving, going over speed bumps, etc. Since you cannot check the pressure as you are driving, it is difficult to say when or why the pressure may or may not have gone down. Not saying that there isnt a bad sensor, but to diagnose it is not just "well the light comes on once in a while so it must be a bad sensor". There is a reason when you look on your door jam, and it says "cold tire pressure", and recommends 35psi or more. So 33 psi is a little low to begin with. On vehicles where you have to reset the vehicle tpms with new sensors, then you should set your tire PSI to the factory specs. Then once they are set, raise the PSI about 5. On vehicles that do not require a reset, like the Sonata, just keep your PSI about 5 above the minimum OE requirements, and you should be ok. Just keep in mind it will go up and down, depending on driving conditions and weather.

·
Registered
884 Posts
tire pressure changes in weather, during driving, going over speed bumps, etc. Since you cannot check the pressure as you are driving, it is difficult to say when or why the pressure may or may not have gone down. Not saying that there isnt a bad sensor, but to diagnose it is not just "well the light comes on once in a while so it must be a bad sensor". There is a reason when you look on your door jam, and it says "cold tire pressure", and recommends 35psi or more. So 33 psi is a little low to begin with. On vehicles where you have to reset the vehicle tpms with new sensors, then you should set your tire PSI to the factory specs. Then once they are set, raise the PSI about 5. On vehicles that do not require a reset, like the Sonata, just keep your PSI about 5 above the minimum OE requirements, and you should be ok. Just keep in mind it will go up and down, depending on driving conditions and weather.
I understand all of this. It is my belief that the TPMS on the Sonata is a bit quirky. In my case, I happen to think it's related to one of the sensors, because I don't have the issue with my winter set, two years running. Hitting a bump may make a split second change in pressure, but this certainly should not set off the TPMS light. I understand electronics interference, but I don't believe that's my issue either. I drive the same trip to and from work every day, and there's no consistency to where I am when it happens. I live in the country, and the light has gone off when I'm out in the open, not near anything electronic.

I suppose we can hash this all day. I have decades of car repair experience, and I work in tech...I only mention this because I am not a novice with cars/electronics.

FWIW, I loved the TPMS implementation on my '08 Pontiac Grand Prix. It showed the readings on all 4 tires, and never bothered me unless there was a legitimate reason to do so.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
My experience with the (rather stupid) TPMS on our cars is that it is very picky.

Just for background, my car is an SE with the factory 18 rims.

Any drop in pressure more than 1PSI and I get a TPMS light. Have never had any issues passing by an airport, bank, or radio tower/cell tower.

However, if you have a very a big temp swing (like we had recently) you are going to get TPMS errors no matter how diligent you are with the air.

Nitrogen is a bust as well---seems to affect my sensors more than regular air.

Also, I have never had my stems rebuilt at tire time. Many of these tire places hound you to buy their rebuild kits that consist of an o-ring, new valve, and some grease. I always decline and do the lubrication myself (small dab of vaseline in the caps).

Your mileage my vary.

And yes, GM rules when it comes to TPMS systems. I hate playing "guess the low tire" in -20 degree weather!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I understand all of this. It is my belief that the TPMS on the Sonata is a bit quirky. In my case, I happen to think it's related to one of the sensors, because I don't have the issue with my winter set, two years running. Hitting a bump may make a split second change in pressure, but this certainly should not set off the TPMS light. I understand electronics interference, but I don't believe that's my issue either. I drive the same trip to and from work every day, and there's no consistency to where I am when it happens. I live in the country, and the light has gone off when I'm out in the open, not near anything electronic.

I suppose we can hash this all day. I have decades of car repair experience, and I work in tech...I only mention this because I am not a novice with cars/electronics.

FWIW, I loved the TPMS implementation on my '08 Pontiac Grand Prix. It showed the readings on all 4 tires, and never bothered me unless there was a legitimate reason to do so.
There is also a delay when the light turns off. It takes sometimes a few minutes for the system to read the new tire pressure. So even if the tire pressure went down for a second, and the system read it, and the pressure went back up fairly quick, it will take a little time for it to read the pressure again. They are not entirely acurate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts