Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to lunch today and found my TPM warning on. None of the tires appeared low so I drove off to get lunch. When I got around to checking my tire pressures I found all were about 5lbs low so I summed it up to cold temps as it is just about 1 year since tires have been checked. A heads up, my hsh came with the chrome valve caps that corroded themselves to the stem, had to use a wrench to remove 3 of them while setting pressures so be advised.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You "should" be inspecting tire pressure monthly..

They told us at school to toss them metal caps. Got to be carefull wrenching them caps, you can break the stem. If you put them metal caps on, apply some sort of lube to the threads on the stem, and just snug the caps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that would ruin your day to break one of those stems, I did apply some lube and plan to check tire pressures more frequently, was relying on TPM for LP warning. Wasn't sure how to reset TPM after resetting pressures but after driving a bit the warning went away so im happy with that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost always lower air pressure due to falling temperatures.
My first thought as well. Got lucky with the corroded stems, used 10mm socket to slowly loosen and tighten till they came off. They look good but will ruin your day if you have no tools and need to check tires.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I thought they all changed to non metallic caps now. I broke two of the TPMS off of a 2007 Sonata because they were stuck... Most places won't even touch it because the TPMS is so expensive and metal caps always gets stuck.
I think this whole generation of Sonata's reset TPMS automatically. I think the 2006-2010 generation needed a dealer reset... very annoying unless you have a friend at the dealership if you use winter wheels/tires.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought 24 silver colored plastic stem caps off eBay for $3 w/no shipping but if you like the metal valves then I would suggest anti seize and there should not be anymore problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.0 터보;1704305 said:
I bought 24 silver colored plastic stem caps off eBay for $3 w/no shipping but if you like the metal valves then I would suggest anti seize and there should not be anymore problems.
Thanks but these caps I had were factory installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts