Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota wants to change the world with Mirai, its new hydrogen car | WIRED UK

Is the link, ha, Las Vegas tried the Prius for taxi cabs, taxi cab drivers do not drive a hybrid like a hybrid has to be driven, so fuel economy was terrible, plus no place to store a passengers luggage.

Now talking about a hydrogen powered fuel cell vehicle, very expensive with an ongoing debate as it is just cheaper and far more reliable just to burn it.

Other problems with a fuel cell, should be fed with 100% oxygen, using air, only 20%, when it combines with oxygen, forms water that must drip out, will colder climates, will freeze, needs a heater.

Biggest battle will be changing the infrastructure, sure was killed back by our oil controlled congress back in 1975.

Ha, the mention Tesla, all they do is move the source of pollution someplace else, namely outside of that state of California.

Industry started off with external combustion engines. should go back to these using technology unheard of over a hundred years ago. Just a question of doing it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
According to Autotrader, march 2017:
"We'll start with the numbers. According to the list, there are 13,619 different yellow taxis currently operating in New York City. Of that number, exactly 4,100 are Fords -- mostly Crown Victorias, Escape Hybrids and Transit Connects. There are 855 Nissans, primarily Altima Hybrids and NV200 vans (the "Taxi of Tomorrow"). And there are 8,641 Toyotas, split between the Prius v, the Highlander Hybrid, the Camry Hybrid, the Sienna and a few more. Those three brands account for 13,596 of the 13,619 taxis in New York City, for a total of 99.8 percent."
So there were 8641 Toyota hybrids and 855 Nissan hybrids (reading between the lines) out of 13,619 taxis in NYC.
That's 69% hybrids, I wouldn't call that insignificant. Not suitable as taxis? Did they all make a mistake?
Numbers are hard.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would work if on a nice summer day, and driven like a hybrid, have to take your foot off the gas and use electrical braking to put a charge in those batteries, not slam on the brakes.

In cold weather the efficiency of that charging system drops to nearly nothing, ha, haven't made the comment, would be far better off to wind up a clock spring.

Ha, give us a compact spare to save ten pounds that makes ABS and traction control worthless, but add a couple of hundred pounds for batteries.

Would get better fuel economy on hilly roads by holding your foot steady on the accelerator pedal. Pick up velocity downhill than use the kinetic energy to make it up the next one. Worked fine until they invented radar.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Actually quite contrary, mpg-wise, hybrid is best in heavy congested traffic.
You said you were an engineer, so lets talk efficiency.
A hybrid braking will regenerate electricity to recharge the battery. Never 100% of course.
But compare that to a gas engine, when you hit the brake, no recapture energy. Just create heat.
When you make a short burst to the crawling traffic, hybrid uses battery power, no gas.
When climate is cold, it is not as good for hybrid/EV. But the energy recapture is still working.
It is actually sustained high speed driving when a hybrid does little to help mpg.
The gas engine is doing all the work when the battery is depleted and the whole EV battery/powertrain is a dead weight.
In fact one of the reason we bought a Prius 5 years ago was that Prius taxis were reaching 300,000 miles without failing.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
There's only one thing I think of when I envision travel by hydrogen...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's only one thing I think of when I envision travel by hydrogen...

That's exactly what congress said back then, bags were made out of cow intestines, and the skin was highly inflammable, just watch how quick those flames are moving forward.

The flames from hydrogen burn straight up, reason why 67 out of 97 survived. With liquid, spills all over the place, key reason my sister-in-law was burned to death when she was alive, witnesses vomited.

Also witness a 1000 gallon propane tank ignite, could have gone within ten feet of it, flames went straight up, but a hundred feet was close enough, difference between a gas and a liquid.

Burning hydrogen anyway, major source of energy, the carbon in HC's has far less heating value and doing a great job of killing people with CO plus polluting the atmosphere. Key reason why we have to change our engine oil every five minutes, fouls spark plugs and carbons up fuel injectors.

Far safer than any liquid, but don't tell congress this, Nova had a special on this with proof.

Can just the hydrogen be extracted from fossil fuels? Good question, don't know until you try. But the output is pure H2O. Should a vehicle store its own source of fuel, or get it indirectly. like carrying a ton of batteries.

And really should not carry hydrogen in cow intestines, bullet proof steel tank would be far safer.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
That's exactly what congress said back then, bags were made out of cow intestines, and the skin was highly inflammable, just watch how quick those flames are moving forward.

The flames from hydrogen burn straight up, reason why 67 out of 97 survived. With liquid, spills all over the place, key reason my sister-in-law was burned to death when she was alive, witnesses vomited.

Also witness a 1000 gallon propane tank ignite, could have gone within ten feet of it, flames went straight up, but a hundred feet was close enough, difference between a gas and a liquid.

Burning hydrogen anyway, major source of energy, the carbon in HC's has far less heating value and doing a great job of killing people with CO plus polluting the atmosphere. Key reason why we have to change our engine oil every five minutes, fouls spark plugs and carbons up fuel injectors.

Far safer than any liquid, but don't tell congress this, Nova had a special on this with proof.

Can just the hydrogen be extracted from fossil fuels? Good question, don't know until you try. But the output is pure H2O. Should a vehicle store its own source of fuel, or get it indirectly. like carrying a ton of batteries.

And really should not carry hydrogen in cow intestines, bullet proof steel tank would be far safer.
Yeah, there sure are a lot of positives to it, that's for sure.

M-B and BMW were working on it back in the 70's but abandoned it, in part because of the energy it took to get the hydrogen. Unless there is a new method of extracting hydrogen, it take more energy to get the hydrogen, and that has to come from somewhere. So, somewhere along the line you're still going to be adding to the problem. Same issue as using corn squeezin's as fuel; it take more energy to get it than you get out of it. Besides, it tastes so good when refinement is only half way...;)

It's like people who drive the Prius: they think they're 100% "green", but you have to get the electricity somewhere, and a lot of places still rely on coal...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sure, just like coal/nuclear powered electric cars and plug-ins, hydrogen cars just move the pollution source somewhere else too.

The majority of hydrogen (∼95%) is produced from fossil fuels by steam reforming or partial oxidation of methane and coal gasification with only a small quantity by other routes such as biomass gasification or electrolysis of water.

Hydrogen has amount as much common sense as strip mining for lithium and nickel for rechargeable batteries along with the numerous toxic chemicals used and dumped manufacturing those batteries.

We need nuclear powered cars. This way, there is a Fukushima/Chernobyl/3mileIsland incident after every car accident. Darwin works well for sheeple. Marketing for the brain dead masses is amazing. Tesla is a farce. Hydrogen is a joke. And, solar/wind have been boondoggle failures. Pet rocks anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't researched. Just curious. Would hydrogen generated via solar electrolysis be viable?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Haven't researched. Just curious. Would hydrogen generated via solar electrolysis be viable?
Solar panels cause global warming. Heat from the sun that would normally bounce off of earth are now absorbed. So, its viable if you want to live on a desert planet covered in solar panels. I still like trees and grass. Wind turbines reduce normal wind flow movement choking off areas of proper air exchange and causes a butterfly effect, like the cold spell now and previous fires across that state that refuses to collapse into the ocean.

Like strip mining for battery material, you should see the pollution and destruction required to make solar panels and wind turbines. Its hidden. The disposal of failed panels filling landfills or poisons released during panel 'burning' is also hidden.

Nothing is viable. All sources of energy create destruction. The planet will heal itself when the human race extincts itself. Subsidizing ANY forms of energy is foolish, as is picking one farce over another.

Reduce your dependence on all energy and we won't need solar/battery/wind/hydrogen/ethanol... get rich subsidy scheme for companies with lobbyists. Enjoying the fat bloated lifestyle of disposable consumerism can't be fixed EVER!

I like drinking water. Don't want to see the rivers, lakes, oceans, aquifers... sucked dry for hydrogen production.

The issue we have in the USA is that we offshored almost all of our manufacturing jobs along with the skills that go with them. Because of this, most consumers are completely STUPID when it comes down to ANYTHING mechanical, mathematical, common sense, or science related. Most have no reasoning or critical thinking skills, or even researching skills. All that these US consumers want to do is rub their belly and feel good because someone told them its good, or take pills to make them feel better. Dream world and reality are different. Look at my hybrid... i feel better... look at my solar panel... I feel better... look at my Iphone, Android.... feel better? Look at my hydrogen car that uses hydrogen produced by coal oil nuclear. Feels good, eh? I guess if I majored in nothingness, protested often, life indebted for that 4 year useless indoctrination degree, I'd believe anything to feel good to justify my miserable burger flipping or coffee making career. But, I didn't. Offshoring manufacturing means we offshored much pollution created by it.

Does "its ok as long as its not in my backyard" work for you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow. Good response. If it were viable I would live in a one room log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Just wondering of there was a better way than fossil fuels. Got a good answer.

That said, out of all current options besides wiping the human race, which do you feel would be the least destructive?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nothing is least destructive. Don't be foolish with energy and find something else to worry about... family, health, friends, career, pets...

Too many get trapped in their single purpose lifestyle. Don't get trapped. If you do something to be cool, you're already trapped. Smoke dope? Covered in tattoos? hair bun? shitty looking beard? very specific and typical clothing? one sided thinking? protest often? try to force a lifestyle on someone else? judge someone that is difference? name call? Then, you're already brainwashed and controlled by someone else.

If you want a hybrid, buy one. But, it won't save the world. If you want a solar roof, go for it. But, it won't save the world. Hydrogen car? no different!

Most green technologies exist for story telling bragging rights and are all but useless.

I support ethanol because it takes away food crop acreage for fuel. Fat Americans don't need anymore food. Kinda sux because I was hoping that America would get skinnier because of ethanol. Must increase ethanol production while reducing food production... We need mandatory E99 to solve the obesity problem.

Solar is cool as a hobby. I sure prefer my solar 12v battery chargers because I don't want to run extension cords everywhere. Solar hot water was pretty cool too. Too bad it was a PITA to maintain. Solar is also great for the smaller microhouses, hunting cabins.....

I like my solar panels, heat pump hot water heater that cools an overly hot garage in the summer, 4cyl better MPG and diesel/TDI vehicles, LED/CFL lighting... but NONE are least destructive. I even tried a couple wind turbines that were noise polluters..... glad the wind fad allowed quick resale. I pity anyone that can't get rid of the geewhiz abominations that were pushed on them.... tax breaks, false promises, saving the planet...

Obviously, if you don't buy a hydrogen or electric car in the future, or cover your roof in solar panels, you don't like kittens, bunnies, and puppies. Hater!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rare to see an SUV, pickup, or van in Italy, maybe because a US gallon of diesel fuel there sells for the equivalent of $9.75.

Sure popular around here, dealers are loaded with these things, have to chase around to find a compact car. Does it really take a 4 ton SUV to haul a 90 pound woman? And practically all of them just have the driver, no passengers.

Ha, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but can be changed from one form to another. But with each conversion, comes with a drastic loss, so the new law now is:

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but sure can bankrupt you.

Did not take longer after the atomic bomb was developed to develop the nuclear fission reactor. Nor did it take long to develop a fusion bomb with not nearly the radiation hazard of fission. But sure taking time to develop a fusion reactor, combining two deuterium atoms together to form helium. Why? No money is spent developing it. Enough deuterium in a gallon of sea water to run a vehicle for years

Walter Cronkite claimed that wind powered generators spoiled his view, was the most trusted newscaster, also claimed to kill birds. Can't say much about his view, but nothing kills birds more than glass windows, ha, should outlaw these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Solar panels cause global warming. Heat from the sun that would normally bounce off of earth are now absorbed. "

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys. I have a Toyota, but I want to give this car to his wife, and to buy a more powerful car jeep compass. It seems to me that this is a decent men's car for trips out of town with the whole family. I am impressed that this car will be able to leave any dirt. What say you?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Hi guys. I have a Toyota, but I want to give this car to his wife, and to buy a more powerful car jeep compass. It seems to me that this is a decent men's car for trips out of town with the whole family. I am impressed that this car will be able to leave any dirt. What say you?
I say. . . start a new thread when your question is completely irrelevant to the subject in which you're posting. Cars, BTW, are gender neutral. They have no genitalia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts