Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Toyota has halted sales on some of there 2013 and 14 models because of fires if the cars have heated seats. Just another reason to purchase a Hyundai Azera. Even the Avalon has the this problem. Sure would hate to pay $39,000 for a Avalon and be driving down the road and the seat catches on fire.

Just shows again that Toyota at one time rarely had issues with their automobiles. Lately they been have one recall after another. The quality they always have been known for over the years has been compromised and soon or later consumers are going to look at other car manufactures such as Hyundai who produces a good quality car for the money.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah it's funny how the safety regulators in South Korea found the heated seat problem on Toyota's. Toyota needs to get their act together, it's been one thing after another for at least 5 yrs. They are definitely going downhill fast, it's a shame.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
654 Posts
Seats catching on fire, unintended acceleration, you gotta hand it to Toyota; when they cause a recall they do it in dramatic fashion!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The Toyota recall gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "This really burns my a**."

The only thing my car suffers from is intended acceleration.

·
22,788 Posts
Toyota needs to get their act together, it's been one thing after another for at least 5 yrs. They are definitely going downhill fast, it's a shame.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Maybe the U.S. Congress can offer them a bailout? Just saying... :rolleyes:

What was that statement Yosemite Sam used to say in those Bugs Bunny cartoons? "My biscuits are burning...my biscuits are burning!"

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The problem today is subcontracting, Toyota is probably not making the fabric for their seats, they have them done by a subcontractor which may be the culprit. It's part of the game now in manufacturing.

·
22,788 Posts
Vendor out-sourcing, yes? It's great when it works like it was designed. However... And remember, the lowest bidder oftentimes is the winner. Not that this is primarily bad. But the OEM specs had better be followed, a FEMA plan worked out, and good quality sampling procedures in place. Otherwise..."my biscuits are burning..." Did Toyota not spec-in flame retardant materials? Did they not do product quality testing on this portion of the production module and how each component interacted with the other? Prior tests? Auditing? Real world testing? Under load? Right now, there are quality managers, engineering managers, marketing people, sales guru's, and directors donning Teflon armor and priming their muskets.

Care to speculate on who they (Toyota) are going to throw under this bus for this one, ladies and gentlemen?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Vendor out-sourcing, yes? It's great when it works like it was designed. However... And remember, the lowest bidder oftentimes is the winner. Not that this is primarily bad. But the OEM specs had better be followed, a FEMA plan worked out, and good quality sampling procedures in place. Otherwise..."my biscuits are burning..." Did Toyota not spec-in flame retardant materials? Did they not do product quality testing on this portion of the production module and how each component interacted with the other? Prior tests? Auditing? Real world testing? Under load? Right now, there are quality managers, engineering managers, marketing people, sales guru's, and directors donning Teflon armor and priming their muskets.

Care to speculate on who they (Toyota) are going to throw under this bus for this one, ladies and gentlemen?
They are throwing their new fabric supplier who they acquired in 2012 under the bus but like you said who at Toyota is responsible for not testing the new material. South Korea safety regulators found the problem with some simple testing which Toyota obviously failed to do. Someone at Toyota needs to be in the unemployment line.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
472 Posts
At the end of the day this is Toyota's problem, not ours since we were smart enough to buy a Hyundai.

The truth is, we should not throw stones at another manufacturer and risk putting a jinx on us. The truth is, we haven't been clean also. I am sure that it is still fresh in everyone's mind the epa mileage claims that were untrue about our cars and probably one of the reasons that led Hyundai to not renew their CEO's contract.

In the end these kind of things happen across the board and that it not to say I condone any of it.

By the way, I am not a fan of Toyota by any stretch of the imagination. I believe that they have gotten way to much credit over the years and now all these incidents. Doesn't look to good for them moving forward.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
As you can tell by my screen name I'm no supporter of Toyota........

By the way I have no problem getting old EPA numbers any any of the 5 Hyunai's I have owned

·
Registered
472 Posts
As you can tell by my screen name I'm no supporter of Toyota........

By the way I have no problem getting old EPA numbers any any of the 5 Hyunai's I have owned
I'm not sure what you are saying here. You don't think that there was anything wrong in Hyundai giving false epa ratings. Let's call it what is, it's called lying to the customer. Believe it or not many people buy cars based on epa ratings. Especially in the case of the Elantra. If all things were equal maybe a consumer would have picked the other choice since epa mileage was there biggest buying point.

Another case in point. Back in 2011 I bought a Sonata limited and all the commercials and everything you read said a class leading 198 horsepower. I can't tell you how upset I was when after research, my own falt, should have done my homework before, not after the true H.P. was 190 because what they don't tell you is that the PZEV Sonata's have the lower H.P. The only Sonata with the 198 H.P. is the SE model.

Now , you will probably say, what's 8H.P. and that's not the point. Just tell it like it is. Little things like this can realy turn off a consumer. I start to ask what else are they not saying.

In the end I love my Azera and Hyundai and wouldn't trade it in for another car. All manufacturers play the game with numbers

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last year I took a trip down to Georgetown KY with my nephew on a three day motorcycle trip. We hit a few distilleries then went on the tour of the Toyota plant. It was amazing what was going on inside that building. They build the entire car there model the metal however the tires, and bumpers nobs and such all come from another source.

While we were there the new Avalon was being built but was not released for sale yet. They were inspecting each and every one coming off of the line. They were going under the car, taking some kind of gizmo looking at the paint, looking under the seats, in the trunk, at the engine compartment. It was amazing then they take the cars out the back of the building and put them on the track for a ten minute run. If there is a rattle, something just not in spec that car is put off to the side and then it goes back inside the assembly line for a closer look. So Toyota does take very good care of their inspections of each and every car.

Yet parts, fabric, heaters, things of this nature are either not up to code, or are poorly made and this is causing the issues that Toyota is having. Of late they are having issues with several of their automobiles. This is something that is pissing off the Japanese the ones that run that company. There was a interesting article a while back in the Wall Street about Toyota and the issues they are having. They do have subcontractors doing things that at one time Toyota did themselves. Now they want to keep the price of their cars down and to do that they need subcontractors yet they are getting poor materials for their automobiles thus now they have recalls more than ever before. It is hurting their image and their brand.

Hyundai has had its share of issues just like other brands. Hyundai has mislead consumers and it cost the company in sales. When the dust settles Toyota will be back on their game just another setback but the brand is solid all over the world. Hyundai is a game changer, they want to get in the mix yet I think they need to market their cars here in America much better than they currently do. They focus on the small cars, the Sonata, and the Genesis but what happen to the Coupe rarely do you hear anything about that car anymore. The Azera is out of the picture. You never see any advertisement on this car. It is all about the Accent, Elantra, Sonata, and the Genesis maybe a little of their top line car. They need to spread the advertising dollars around hit on all their lineup. I be willing to bet that only a small percentage of consumers ever even heard of the Azera. Not good!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
...Another case in point. Back in 2011 I bought a Sonata limited and all the commercials and everything you read said a class leading 198 horsepower. I can't tell you how upset I was when after research, my own falt, should have done my homework before, not after the true H.P. was 190 because what they don't tell you is that the PZEV Sonata's have the lower H.P. The only Sonata with the 198 H.P. is the SE model.....
In the end I love my Azera and Hyundai and wouldn't trade it in for another car. All manufacturers play the game with numbers
Actually, the standard ULEV models for the Limited and GLS did make 198 HP. SE ULEV models were 200HP.
You are correct that the PZEV's had slightly lower HP, but that is not the majority of their production. I would not consider that deceptive, just the nature of tighter emission controls in CA, and certain other areas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1990 Toyota interior

See the quality there?

Nowadays many of Toyota's products use outsourced components. Only a few JDM models are truly build from the ground up by Toyota.

Besides the car above has ;

It has more features than 2015 cars! GPS, TV (yes TV) touch screen interface, reverse camera, 9 speaker Nakamichi premium sound system, one touch signal stalks, 3 seat memory, electric seats with auto return, electric slide, lift and telescopic steering adjustment with auto mode, electric retractable mirrors, automatic mirror adjustment when reversing, electric headrest adjuster, electric seatbelt adjuster with auto memory, auto dipping mirrors, auto multi zone climate control with automatic air flow actuators.

Variable driving modes such as Power, Normal & Comfort

The 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 is a strong and a extremely silky smooth power plant and the automatic transmission is seamless in operation.

The car is amazing it has 4WS (four wheel steering) active suspension, one touch variable vehicle height adjustment and also has Air suspension.

The Soarer is built like a tank. Everything feels extremely substantial. The carpet is all thick and soft velour, the leather is rich & soft and the maple veneer is beautiful to the sight and touch and let's not forget the almost magical 3D instrument panel.

*Besides at least Toyota will admit and rectify faults. Unlike Hyundai who leaves any flaws and problems under the rug.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice but don't forget that when a consumer buys a 2014 Toyota Avalon or a 2014 Camry for over loaded for over $35,000 they expect a top car in all aspects. Toyota has been having problems with their automobiles and trucks for the past two years with recalls and mechanical issues.

Sure they are fessing up to their issues after many consumers have been complaining NTB has been on their case to recall some of their cars.

I don't see or hear of Hyundai covering up anything. If they have a issue they recall. Sure there was an issue over mileage on some of their cars but they came clean. I have owned two Toyota the one I had in 1992 was one of the best cars I have ever owned but the last one in 2005 was the worst. I found Hyundai produces a great car with a great warranty and the car is well made inside and out. I'm happy and I would buy another Hyundai in the future.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been a big fan of Toyota for a long time. My first one was a new 92 camry V6 XLE which was an absolutely flawless vehicle which i traded in for a new 2002 camry V6 XLE. I still own the 2002 and that also has been a perfect vehicle. In 2007 i purchased a new camry 4 cyl SE which i still own but i can tell it's not as well built as my previous camry's. Though i haven't had any major problems with it i can see the fit and finish seems kinda cheap and the ride is subpar. If i had to do it again i wouldn't of purchased the 2007. My feelings about my 2011 Sonata SE are probably equal to my 2007 camry. If i had to make a trip from Ohio to California I'd without a doubt be using my 2002 Camry, that's how much i trust that car.
Im very disappointed with what has happened with the quality of Toyota's the past 5 yrs.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've been a big fan of Toyota for a long time. My first one was a new 92 camry V6 XLE which was an absolutely flawless vehicle which i traded in for a new 2002 camry V6 XLE. I still own the 2002 and that also has been a perfect vehicle. In 2007 i purchased a new camry 4 cyl SE which i still own but i can tell it's not as well built as my previous camry's. Though i haven't had any major problems with it i can see the fit and finish seems kinda cheap and the ride is subpar. If i had to do it again i wouldn't of purchased the 2007. My feelings about my 2011 Sonata SE are probably equal to my 2007 camry. If i had to make a trip from Ohio to California I'd without a doubt be using my 2002 Camry, that's how much i trust that car.
Im very disappointed with what has happened with the quality of Toyota's the past 5 yrs.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Interesting observations on the changes in quality. I have a son in the auto business. He has observed the overall lowering Toyota quality from the late 90's to the current time, but he does see the trajectory reversing to improvement over the last couple of years.

Regarding the 2011 Sonatas: I had an early build 2011, and while I was happy with the car, it had a few glitches and issues, and the fit and finish was OK, but not great. I have also been exposed to newer Sonatas, and there has been steady improvement in fit and finish. The CEO of Hyundai has been slow to expand production, instead focusing on improving quality.

Quote from http://http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/12/us-hyundai-capacity-idUSBRE8AA0FA20121112

"The chairman is Chung Mong-koo, whose father Chung Ju-yung founded the Hyundai Group "chaebol", as South Korea's powerful conglomerates are known.

THE SAMSUNG MODEL

Hyundai, which, does not yet enjoy the same sort of name cachet as Toyota or Volkswagen, aims to emulate the success of compatriot electronics giant Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, which evolved from a maker of cheaper goods into a powerful global brand in its own right.

To that end, Chung has quietly shifted strategy in recent years to put capacity expansion in the backseat and instead focus on building Hyundai's brand and reputation for quality.

"In the past, pushed for building more factories, but executives said it would be difficult to sell cars because of quality issues," said the executive in Seoul.

"Now, there is a push from the bottom. Executives now say they can sell more cars."

The move is "motivated by the chairman's effort to keep Hyundai from making the mistake Toyota made", another source said, referring to a perception that the Japanese automaker lost control of engineering discipline and manufacturing quality during the 2000s, as it expanded too aggressively and its global capacity climbed well above 8 million vehicles a year.

Plans to build a factory in Indonesia, another emerging market with large growth potential, were scrapped due to Chung's decree, the source told Reuters."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts