Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all over for the towing capacity for my Santa Fe, I cannot get a straight answer from my dealer even! I want to tow 3500 lbs. maximum. Does anyone know if that is possible? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I logged onto this website hoping also to find some answers about how well the SF can tow. I understand that the 2.4 petrol engine can tow 1400kg but the 2.7 and the diesal can both tow over 2000kg. I'm afaid that I don't know how these convert into llbs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Towing capacity (or at least the Santa Fe’s rated towing capacity) depends on the year, model and whether the trailer has brakes.

Here is the range for 2003 from newcars.com. For 2004 all the ranges are around 100 lbs more and for 2001/2002 it’s less.

Without trailer brakes:
2.4 litre, front wheel drive – 1,000 lbs
2.7 litre, front wheel drive – 1,200 lbs
2.7 litre, four wheel drive – 1,200 lbs

With ABS, without trailer brake
2.4 litre, front wheel drive – 1,200 lbs
2.7 litre, front wheel drive – 1,500 lbs
2.7 litre, four wheel drive – 1,500 lbs

With trailer brake
2.4 litre, front wheel drive – 1,200 lbs
2.7 litre, front wheel drive – 2,700 lbs
2.7 litre, four wheel drive – 2,200 lbs

All of these numbers may seem on the low side compared to some of the truck-based SUV’s – like the Explorer, which has more than twice this much towing capacity.

That’s because the Santa Fe uses unibody construction just like a passenger vehicle. There are no solid frame members that run the whole length of the vehicle to tie the drive train directly to the trailer hitch.

With the Santa Fe you get comfort and safety but not the kind of heavy towing capability as you would with a truck or truck-based SUV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts