Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tow my Harley with a small trailer with a total towing weight of around 1000 lbs. Tows Very smoothly but because of the tongue weight, my rear end is much lower that I want it to be. Can't find either heavy duty rear struts or HD assist coils. Any suggestions or products available. By the way, after 5000 mile of towing, I averaged 23.9 mpg. I'm happy.
Thanks
Doc Bo
Orlando

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi, sounds like you have a lot of tongue weight. What is the distance from the center of your rear wheels to the center of the trailer wheels, compared to the wheel base of your car. The two should be approx. the same.

If most of your motorcycle is located more forward of the trailer wheels, this would increase your tongue weight which put most of the weight on the rear of the car.
Go to a trailer hitch center, they can help out a lot.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Put a scale under the trailer's hitch. It should weigh between 100 and 150 pounds (10-15% of total trailer weight). Any less and you'll have stability problems, any more and you definitely need to shift some of it backwards. Before going to a weight distribution hitch, or any other system which adds weight to an already maxed-out vehicle, I'd experiment with the way you load the bike.

PS: Most Hyundai suspensions err on the soft side. Even my Santa Fe sags noticeably under moderate tongue loads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try this again....Can't find either heavy duty rear struts or HD assist coils. Any suggestions or products available.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The lack of suggestions might be related to the fact that you ignored the first two. Nobody wants to waste their time on an abandoned thread.

Either that or people are just reluctant to say what's really on their minds... that throwing money at a Hyundai Elantra will not turn it into a Ford F-150. :57:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts