Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Hyundai! We just picked up a super clean 2015 Santa Fe XL (AWD) to replace our aging 2007 odyssey van. LOVE the Hyundai so far!
I'll be adding a Curt hitch (class III) soon. On the odyssey I had added airbags in the rear springs which were awesome for towing, but I hear the airbags on the XL by Firestone are garbage.
Our jayco popup trailer has an actual tongue weight of 275#, plus whatever cargo we have behind the rear axle (we keep this to a minimum by putting coolers right behind the middle row, or above the trailer axle in the popup itself).
What kind of sag should I expect in the rear of the Santa fe? What can I do to alleviate it if it's bad?
I'm unable to use a weight distributing hitch due to the way the frame on the popup is constructed.
Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Eric. Funny how we have/had similar rides with my 2016 LWB (with a Curt hitch to tow an aluminum boat) and still driving our great 2006 Odyssey.
A forum search here and on the SFS forum will answer most of your questions above on hitches, towing and suspension.
Lots of us have upgraded to the beefier Veracruz rear springs as an affordable fix for the weaker stock SF ones.
It'd be good to know where you are and what trim you have, but from your describing your XL, I'm guessing it's Canada?
Enjoy your new to you ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 2015 Xl Limited (pana roof etc etc). And yes, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
I recognize a name or two from odyclub such as DINO2K as well!
I read a long post about the Veracruz springs but am still uncertain if they're beefier than the 2015 AWD springs - that was a confusing thread.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Watch out for your brethren DINO, he's trouble... :) Just kidding, but hang on to your wallet... Lol !
I can vouch for the Veracruz springs as being beefier/stiffer taking on speed bumps and pot holes better than the stock ones, and helps for smoother towing not bottoming out as easily.
Some threads were confusing due to different springs available for SWB and LWB models, as well as 2WD v AWD. Get the ones specific for LWB AWD (yellow/blue paint dots on them) and you'll be happy! They're listed in the most recent thread. Let me know (PM) if you want more on that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I pulled a 1995 Jayco tent trailer for a couple of years with a stock 2013 XL limited. With the Santa fe 'lightly' loaded, it was fine but add both kids, suitcases, etc.. we were bottoming out regularly.. Car still towed fine, no highbeam flashes from oncoming cars, etc.. so I think the SF pulled level..

Rob

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I pulled a 1995 Jayco tent trailer for a couple of years with a stock 2013 XL limited. With the Santa fe 'lightly' loaded, it was fine but add both kids, suitcases, etc.. we were bottoming out regularly.. Car still towed fine, no highbeam flashes from oncoming cars, etc.. so I think the SF pulled level..

Rob
Since you live in CA I will assume you had a "pop-up" which is considerably more heavy than a "tent trailer"...just to clarify for the uninitiated. :nerd:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 16 Limited with the dealer installed towing package and aftermarket brake controller; no other changes from stock. No issues for me towing this rig from Maple Ridge, BC to Calgary, AB and back last summer. No bottoming out (fully loaded with kids and stuff, and the trailer, too), seemed to travel at level, very little sag, pulled great with lots of power for passing if needed. This pic is also fully loaded, although not on level ground.

I suspect my tongue weight is a little on the high side with the bikes where they are, but I try to load the heaviest stuff in the trailer behind the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
Watch out for your brethren DINO, he's trouble... :) Just kidding, but hang on to your wallet... Lol !

I can vouch for the Veracruz springs as being beefier/stiffer taking on speed bumps and pot holes better than the stock ones, and helps for smoother towing not bottoming out as easily.

Some threads were confusing due to different springs available for SWB and LWB models, as well as 2WD v AWD. Get the ones specific for LWB AWD (yellow/blue paint dots on them) and you'll be happy! They're listed in the most recent thread. Let me know (PM) if you want more on that.

Did someone rang my name? Didn’t know I’m famous for pushing people to mod their rides . Yep I’ll say Basshound Veracruz springs were nicely done by him and he did a great job to his ride all around!! Hope to see you pimp your ride soon Eric !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 16 Limited with the dealer installed towing package and aftermarket brake controller; no other changes from stock. No issues for me towing this rig from Maple Ridge, BC to Calgary, AB and back last summer. No bottoming out (fully loaded with kids and stuff, and the trailer, too), seemed to travel at level, very little sag, pulled great with lots of power for passing if needed. This pic is also fully loaded, although not on level ground.

I suspect my tongue weight is a little on the high side with the bikes where they are, but I try to load the heaviest stuff in the trailer behind the axle.
Looks great! With less tongue weight than you (most likely), I think it'll be fine w/o Veracruz springs. The only way to tell for sure will be to try, I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts