Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like over the last few years they completely disappeared, come to think of it, so have front bumpers. Use to have a law where all vehicles needed to pass a 5 mph hit without damage, now just a plastic grille up front.

Wife wants me to get rid of my 88 Supra that not only has a 5 mph bumper, but tow hooks as well. Only reason for this, have a car top kayak carrier that can be securely tie down. I looked on the internet for car top carriers, all require a secure front tie down.

Also looked at many new vehicles, asked my why I was on my hands and knees, where is a place for anything except super thin plastic that would more than likely break off with a cross wind. Also could not find out the reason they got rid of towing hooks.

2016 Elantra had a towing bar, but only on one side, disappeared in the 2017, does have tiny tab in the rear, but only for a tie down, really need one in front.

Could by a large RAM pickup with a steel bumper, neighbor has one, but has to put a special rack on it and only gets 2 mpg.

Ha, if you want me to get rid of my Supra, would have to give up kayaking. Did look at kayak trailers, another PITA thing laying around, but never could find one for just one kayak, but we could pull a dozen.

Ha, more new problems that were never problems before. Also have a bike car top carrier for the Supra, but with this new stuff, can added a trailer hitch with up to a four bike carrier. Also works for my recumbent bike with the Supra, but not with this new stuff.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
No screw in toe hook for the front and rear?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Most newer vehicles (our Santa Fe included) have a small square or round spot in the front / rear bumper. There is a towing eye / hook that screws into a hole once that square or round plug is removed. I don't believe these are intended to be used as a tie down for items though.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2017 Elantra owners manual shows that eye hook, dealer did not notice this either, round plug in the right side of the bumper is missing, and that slot in that Styrofoam on top of the spare tire for holding the tools, is still there, but its empty.

Daughter did get that in her 2015 Kia Soul.

Without removing the front bumper, can't see if the right frame member is still threaded for this hook. 2016's have it.

One crazy story I heard, some guy was trying to pull his daughter our of a ditch, did not have that flashing amber light on his vehicle and was hit by a passing vehicle, this ended towing hooks.

More logical is that towing companies lobbied congress to get rid of towing hooks, was affecting their business, but can't find any proof of this.

What happened to that 5 mph bumper, better yet, what happened to the bumper?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts