Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
The manual of my car states that it is not recommended for towing, anybody know why this is so?
What would happen if I attach a hitch to it? Cracked subframe?

Thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
Towing a car with another car is dangerous because of a lack of communication/coordination. Think the towed car smacking into the towing car.

The car does have as hook front and back for towing.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
You can attach a hitch for bike holder or other small things but its not recommended to tow. You could cause power train damage if you tow too much weight.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a trailer for a motorcycle. Around 1000lbs of towing
I'm also going to be looking into this. I have a 230 lb. Honda CRF and I figure the trailer will be around 250-300 lb. for a combined towing weight of under 600 lb. I figure this shouldn't be much stress based on a GVWR of 3792 lb. for ~2900 lb. vehicle weight which leaves ~892 lb. for carrying capacity. I weigh about 160 so even on the outside it's maybe 760 lb. of carrying and towing weight. Plus it would mostly be local (non highway speeds), short trips to riding locations.

Did you obtain a trailer and if so which did you choose?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you have powertrain issues after towing when it is not recommended I'd bet the warranty goes out the window. Any signs of a hitch being installed would probably be all the proof they would need to deny a claim.

Front wheel drive economy cars are really not designed for towing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Warrantys and owner's manuals use certain legal words. The ones used in the Elantra manual is "not recommended". They do not say "prohibited" or some other absolute words. In fact in the same section, after the "not recommended" statement is the attached paragraph:

So, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's why I said "IF" and "PROBABLY".

Agreed on it being taking a chance, and probably (that word again) not a wise one.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Don't anticipate problems plus if some moron can haul 700 lb. of dope in one of these then it shouldn't be an issue. Plus I can just say the hitch is for a hitch-mounted bike carrier (which I have).

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Warrantys and owner's manuals use certain legal words. The ones used in the Elantra manual is "not recommended". They do not say "prohibited" or some other absolute words.
What's the difference? Both words mean the same thing: You break it, you pay for it :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also going to be looking into this. I have a 230 lb. Honda CRF and I figure the trailer will be around 250-300 lb. for a combined towing weight of under 600 lb. I figure this shouldn't be much stress based on a GVWR of 3792 lb. for ~2900 lb. vehicle weight which leaves ~892 lb. for carrying capacity. I weigh about 160 so even on the outside it's maybe 760 lb. of carrying and towing weight. Plus it would mostly be local (non highway speeds), short trips to riding locations.

Did you obtain a trailer and if so which did you choose?

Thinking of hauling my sport bike. I did the calculatuons & it shouldn't be more than the recommended weight of 4 adults in the vehicle.

I'm thinking of also getting the foldable trailers from Harbor Freight. Light weight

If you have powertrain issues after towing when it is not recommended I'd bet the warranty goes out the window. Any signs of a hitch being installed would probably be all the proof they would need to deny a claim.

Front wheel drive economy cars are really not designed for towing.
If you look closely at European model cars they do have towing in their manual. I highly doubt they have an entirely different chassis

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts