Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking at buying a Santa Fe XL, largely based on its 5,000 lb tow rating.

We looked at many similar sized SUV's, and the Santa Fe has the biggest capacity, which gives us some concern - is Hyundai overrating the unit?

We're looking at towing a 19' Hybrid trailer, with an empty weight of about 3,500 lbs. Past experience shows we usually carry about 800 lbs of "stuff".

Is there anyone out there with real-world experience with a combination close to this? How has it worked out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
No manufacturer "over-rates" their vehicles in North America - fear of legislation forces them to quote towing limits about half those used by identical vehicles in other parts of the world.
Although, the fine print for the 5,000lb rating assumes 200lb driver only and no passengers or cargo in the TV. You will want to factor that in when you calculate how much your trailer can weigh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I have. The 800 lbs includes my wife, my personal overweight, and all the stuff in both trailer and vehicle. The only time I might go higher is if I carry a full load of water in the trailer, but I rarely do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been there, done that. :)

My wife and I are looking at buying a Santa Fe XL, largely based on its 5,000 lb tow rating.

We looked at many similar sized SUV's, and the Santa Fe has the biggest capacity, which gives us some concern - is Hyundai overrating the unit?

We're looking at towing a 19' Hybrid trailer, with an empty weight of about 3,500 lbs. Past experience shows we usually carry about 800 lbs of "stuff".

Is there anyone out there with real-world experience with a combination close to this? How has it worked out?

I have the CDN Premium Santa Fe XL and and Antigua 195CK trailer. Dry weight is about 3400 lbs. I have completed two trips with it (300 kms return, and 525 kms return). I have it setup with an Equal-i-zer hitch system and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. This is my first trailer, so I am still getting to know what to expect from the experience.

Plenty of power to pull the trailer and tracks perfectly straight behind me. RPMs are much higher when towing and it never gets to 6th gear. It seems to prefer 4th around the 90 km/h mark, and uses 5th only on flat grade. This concerns me a bit. Fuel economy was 20+ litres/100 kms.

I am thinking about getting a scanner capable of monitoring transmission temperature before the spring, just to check it out, simply for piece of mind.

Overall, the Santa Fe LWB seems like it can handle it. I am just a bit concerned about frequent use or long trips. Overall longevity and stress on the powertrain is also a concern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks very much. Your rig seems very close to what we're contemplating, including the Equal-i-zer hitch.

I guess the only question would be durability in heavy use - We'll have to consider that.
Exactly. The Santa Fe XL was the right vehicle for us relating to all other aspects. While a pick-up would have been a better tow vehicle, it would have been far too much vehicle for the other 340ish days a year.

The maintenance schedule in Canada uses the extreme level as it is, so I am not sure I need to increase my frequencies. I expect I may look to perform a transmission flush every 2 years, just to be sure.

Once I can monitor the temperature, I will decide if it is necessary. Either way, it is not a huge expense every two years.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Santa Fe or ANY small SUV to haul travel trailers on a routine basis.... that's what trucks are for.

Flip through the Santa Fe brochure... and if you see several pictures of one hauling a travel trailer, then get one.... but I have a feeling they don't 'push' the trailering aspect of that unit, for that purpose for a reason.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Santa Fe or ANY small SUV to haul travel trailers on a routine basis.... that's what trucks are for.

Flip through the Santa Fe brochure... and if you see several pictures of one hauling a travel trailer, then get one.... but I have a feeling they don't 'push' the trailering aspect of that unit, for that purpose for a reason.
That's so 19th century in it's thinking - it makes North America look namby-pamby in the eyes of the rest of the world.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
lol...ok then; tow around a 5000 lb travel trailer for a few months and tell me how the SF holds up.
It's considered normal in Europe and Australia to tow caravans (travel trailers) up to 100% of the towcar's kerbweight and low centre of gravity trailers even heavier.

Europe doesn't buy what you would call full-size trucks, a very small number tow with Mitsubishi L200/Nissan Navara size trucks if that's their work vehicle but SUVs of Santa Fe SWB size are man enough to tow almost any caravan (travel trailer) available in Europe - the LWB Santa Fe isn't sold in RHD markets but is rated to tow the few exceptions too heavy for a SWB Santa Fe in LHD areas.

Across all brands of cars, North American towing limits are set very conservatively, due to fear of being sued, compared to the same vehicles in Europe and Australia - there's no engineering reason for the difference in towing limit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.