Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the 2019 Ultimate 2.0T AWD. My 2013 SF Sport 2.0T AWD came with the trailer prep package and will tow 3500# (with a brake system). I'm having a hard time finding a listed spec on the new model and a couple of dealers I've called have no clue. Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
505 Posts
What are planning in pulling or carrying? Go to U-haul site and you will find the list of trailers they are willing to rent to you for your car. Don't think they will let you pull a full car carrier. Maybe a car dolly. But they will let you pull most of their trailers. Most midsize suv have a tongue weight limit of 350 lbs. This is with 2 inch hitch. Are you sure it has the brake system connection or just the brake lights? I would expect it will to be very similar to what you already have.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm considering the 2019 Ultimate 2.0T AWD. My 2013 SF Sport 2.0T AWD came with the trailer prep package and will tow 3500# (with a brake system). I'm having a hard time finding a listed spec on the new model and a couple of dealers I've called have no clue. Anyone know the answer?
Yes, 3500 lb is the number. You can download a brochure on the hyundaiusa.com site and on sheet 7 it lists 3500 lb for the 2.0T.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked up a brochure and it does list a towing capacity of 3500#. I managed to get more detailed information from a district rep and here is what I learned. ONLY the 2.0T Limited and 2.0T Ultimate models come with the factory trailer package. 3501# with a brake system. 1653# without a brake system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hitch on Sante Fe

Can anyone tell me if the hitch (receiver) that comes equipped from the factory is now completely below the bumper itself or if it comes out through a cutout on the bumper like on the 2018 Sante Fe? A picture would help as I can't find one anywhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the hitch (receiver) that comes equipped from the factory is now completely below the bumper itself or if it comes out through a cutout on the bumper like on the 2018 Sante Fe? A picture would help as I can't find one anywhere. Thanks!
Take a look at etrailer.com, they now have a few pictures being posted for 2019 santa fe's: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Hyundai/Santa+Fe/2019/C13195.html?vehicleid=201976677

it's the same hitch as the Kia sorento. Looks like it will hang a bit down just like the 2013-18 sport version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can’t find a picture of the factory trailer hitch because it doesn’t exist. I bought a 2.0T Ultimate and my dealer was clueless on if they even offer a hitch. The Sante Fe website lists “trailering package” and nowhere does it state that not only do you not get a hitch, but there is no custom wiring harness for the 2019 models. (See etrailer.com you have to run a wire from the battery which is stupid)

The lack of transparency on the whole “trailering package” which I still don’t know includes, is my only gripe with this vehicle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In 2013 some stock at the dealers had factory installed hitches, some didn't. From what I could tell at the time it appeared to be made by Curt. I opted to skip the $350+ they wanted and purchased a Curt online for less than half of that. Etrailer now carries a plug and play wiring kit made by Tekonsha - I would give you the part number but their website is having issues right now. I don't know if Hyundai will begin stocking some models with a hitch or not in the future.

·
Registered
276 Posts
In 2013 some stock at the dealers had factory installed hitches, some didn't. From what I could tell at the time it appeared to be made by Curt. I opted to skip the $350+ they wanted and purchased a Curt online for less than half of that. Etrailer now carries a plug and play wiring kit made by Tekonsha - I would give you the part number but their website is having issues right now. I don't know if Hyundai will begin stocking some models with a hitch or not in the future.
Yes. I have both the Curt hitch and Tekonsha harness. Around $190. Less than half of what the dealer would charge and I know it's done right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did they happen to tell you what, EXACTLY, is included with the "factory trailer package"?

The sales person said there is no such thing. The service department said they don't know what is included. Hyundai's "Consumer Affairs" contact line is just as clueless. They either tell me to contact my service department, or evade the question by pointing to the online specs, which say nothing at all about it.

There is only one sentence in the user manual about it, and only says that it exists, along with a chart showing the towing capacity.

I want to know what is installed on my vehicle! How hard can that be???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did they happen to tell you what, EXACTLY, is included with the "factory trailer package"?

The sales person said there is no such thing. The service department said they don't know what is included. Hyundai's "Consumer Affairs" contact line is just as clueless. They either tell me to contact my service department, or evade the question by pointing to the online specs, which say nothing at all about it.

There is only one sentence in the user manual about it, and only says that it exists, along with a chart showing the towing capacity.

I want to know what is installed on my vehicle! How hard can that be???
I understand your frustration. I was in the same boat when ordering mine.
The trailering package is included as part of the turbo as are the goofy looking 19" wheels (my opinion) which you are forced to accept.

My interpretation was that it included wiring to the back of the vehicle, a harness and a hitch.

Nope.

All it includes is a wiring to the back of the vehicle where you plug in a harness.

I'm not sure how they call that a "Trailering Package" when it's not a package but just wires running to the back.

I'm not sure there is anything extra as far as cooling or heavy duty shocks, brakes etc. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure there is anything extra as far as cooling or heavy duty shocks, brakes etc. I could be wrong.
There is no additional transmission cooling, heavy shocks, brakes etc. All of that is up to the owner to add if wanted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All it includes is a wiring to the back of the vehicle where you plug in a harness.
After many requests, I FINALLY got a response from their Consumer Affairs department:
"The trailer package is prewired for the electrical trailer braking attachment. The rear shocks are also optimized for towing, which allows specific model trims to carry up to 1,500 more weight."

I asked them for more info on "prewired for the electrical trailer braking attachment". Does that mean that I don't need to buy an electric brake controller?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After many requests, I FINALLY got a response from their Consumer Affairs department:
"The trailer package is prewired for the electrical trailer braking attachment. The rear shocks are also optimized for towing, which allows specific model trims to carry up to 1,500 more weight."

I asked them for more info on "prewired for the electrical trailer braking attachment". Does that mean that I don't need to buy an electric brake controller?

You'll need the electric brake controller to meet the 3501# tow rating. There may be a wiring adapter available. Research on Etrailer for options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll need the electric brake controller to meet the 3501# tow rating.
My question to Hyundai: "Does that include the electric brake controller?"
Hyundai's response: "Yes, that is what it is the controller."

So, apparently not.
Frankly, Hyundai's team seems clueless and evasive, so I am skeptical. Still researching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll need the electric brake controller to meet the 3501# tow rating. There may be a wiring adapter available. Research on Etrailer for options.
I pressed Hyundai about the controller. They reversed their previous response, and said I would have to get one installed by a dealer. Installing a 3rd party controller would void the warranty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would personally get something a little beefier to pull 3500lbs. It technically is rated to pull that much but you are pushing the envelope IMO. I’d get something that’s rated a little more. Maybe find something rated for 5000 pounds. Just my 2cents. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts