Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Im in process of purchasing mid sized suv.. I'm 99.9% convinced of the santa fe.
What is the towing capacity of it ?
cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (hotboost @ Jan 15 2010, 07:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290653
Hi all Im in process of purchasing mid sized suv.. I'm 99.9% convinced of the santa fe.
cheers
Hi hotboost,

If you are getting the 2.2 CRTD, then I would expect the limit will be the same as the UK model, for the auto it is 2000kg and nose weight 80kg. I will add that I really enjoy the ownership of this suv, no problems at all, although it is only 2.5 months old. Please consider that 2000kg is heavier than the kerb weight of the suv. In the UK the recommended idea is not to tow anything that is more than 85% of the kerb weight. This will ensure that the trailer does not take charge of the tow vehicle.

You should find it on the Oz Hyundai web site?

Old_salt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi again hotboost,

I checked out the Oz spec for the Santa Fe diesel automatic. I was right about the weight 2000kg braked trailer / 750kg unbraked trailer. The maximum towball weight is 150kg.

Hope this will help with your decision?

Old_salt

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I would be careful not to exceed any of those limits.

As old_salt points out, that 2000 kg braked limit is more than the vehicle itself weighs. Here in North America the top rating is only 1587 kg. As for the 750 kg unbraked rating, my camper is right at the limit and I feel it when trying to stop on a downhill slope. It takes a careful driving style, and lots of manual downshifting. Tongue weight is another touchy point, as the rear end sags noticeably under load.

Overall the Santa Fe is a very capable hauler, but one must keep in mind the limitations of a midsize unit body vehicle.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Towing limits cannot be compared between North America and Europe despite often identical mechanicals - North America has a totally different culture and attitude to towing than Europe, I suspect mainly due to the greater number of vehicles per household and availability of large pickups but also the higher noseweight (tongue weight) in North America. It's fairly common to tow double the trailer weight in Europe compared to North America.

Australia and New Zealand generally have the same alignment on towing weights as Europe.

Manufacturers towing limits in RoW are based on the minimum of a number of technical tests, including hill restart ability, cooling system performance, braking performance and warranty claim expectation. For virtually all vehicles with good practical towing abilities, the manufacturers' limit exceeds 100% of the vehicle's kerbweight, also known as the towing ratio.

Towing up to the manufacturers' limit, in this case 2000kg, is quite normal for goods and car trailers even if this exceeds the car's kerbweight - there's no issue exceeding 100% towing ratio (apart from driving licences and speed limits) with well-balanced trailers where the mass is concentrated centrally.

For trailers where the mass is concentrated around the periphery, specifically caravans, there is a much higher yaw moment as well as a much greater "sail" area which can cause instability from sudden steering movements or passing vehicles - for such trailers there's a Europe-wide recommendation not to exceed 100%.

The UK, alone, has a recommendation not to exceed 85% towing ratio for newcomers to towing caravans.

I've yet to decide if I'm going to buy a Santa Fe (getting close) but wouldn't have any qualms about towing a caravan up to 100% - or indeed a car trailer up to 2000kg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (hotboost @ Jan 15 2010, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290653
cheers
All good points mentioned in previous posts. Our diesel 2.2 has towed unbraked around the 700kg and does the job, but you wouldn't want to stop in a real hurry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use my 2.7 petrol auto SF for towing. I would expect the diesel engine version to be better in that respect.

Loads up to about 1000kgs you hardly notice when driving. Heavier loads between 1500 to 2000kgs are more noticeable, particularly when climbing hills. Of course, the fuel consumption goes up.

Keep in mind that most state laws require brakes for trailers over 750kgs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts