Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving cross country from east cost to west coast and I'm thinking to buy a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4L and load my stuff in a 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer (2 axle trailer). Trailer specs:
  • Max load: 2,480 lbs.
  • Gross vehicle weight: 4,400 lbs. max.
  • Empty weight: 1,920 lbs
Complete specs

Anybody has any experience towing similar trailers? Is it better to buy an AWD as opposed to FWD?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Moving cross country from east cost to west coast and I'm thinking to buy a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.4L and load my stuff in a 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer (2 axle trailer). Trailer specs:
Complete specs

Anybody has any experience towing similar trailers? Is it better to buy an AWD as opposed to FWD?
The 2.4 is not rated for 4,400 lbs. I believe the 2.0T is only rated for 3,500 lbs. You are going to need a bigger tow vehicle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Uhaul and they say the 2017 SFS is rated at 5000 lbs in their system, which is enough for the 6x10 cargo trailer. Their website shows the same 5000 lbs. Hyundai customer service says 2800 lbs for the 2.4L regardless if it's FWD or AWD which is kinda weird too considering that AWD has added weight and friction.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I called Uhaul and they say the 2017 SFS is rated at 5000 lbs in their system, which is enough for the 6x10 cargo trailer. Their website shows the same 5000 lbs. Hyundai customer service says 2800 lbs for the 2.4L regardless if it's FWD or AWD which is kinda weird too considering that AWD has added weight and friction.
You have been misinformed. The 2.4 towing capacity is only 2000lbs. Take your car to a different dealership lol. The 7 seater xl version tows 5000lbs and the 2.0T capacity is 3500lbs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Towing is listed in the owners manual and here is a snip from my previous '17 SFS 2.4. Disregard the highlights, they were for a previous post of mine. AWD vs. FWD doesn't matter.

With surge brakes, you get 2000lbs. Add a transmission cooler and tow 2800lbs.
Do you mind sharing where did you get these towing capacities from?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
You have been misinformed. The 2.4 towing capacity is only 2000lbs. Take your car to a different dealership lol. The 7 seater xl version tows 5000lbs and the 2.0T capacity is 3500lbs. Hope this helps.
This is correct, except that I believe you need AWD for these capacities.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Complete specs

That trailer would kill that Santa Fe Sport on a cross-country trip, even if the trailer was empty, and the Santa Fe only carried a driver and no cargo. Please don't even consider towing this trailer loaded. It would be a real danger on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been towing a 4x8 with my 2015 SFS AWD for a couple of years. Don't even know it's back there, but I do keep the loads under 1,000 lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts