Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a touch up paint from my dealer,
the colour of the car is Alpine Blue metallic,the paint supplied also says Alpine blue BUT the colour is a COMPLETELY different,It's a very dark blue!
Has anybody else had this problem as I suspect the wrong paint has been put in the wrong pot.
BTW I did shake the pot well before applying,I will return pots to the dealer asap for their opp ion,but it nowhere near matches

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi ITEN,
I have a small stone chip on the bonnet of my Alpine Blue i10. Halfords do not stock this colour,if you don't mind me asking, could you tell me how much this ' touch up ' paint cost from your dealer and did it come with clearcoat lacquer.

Jez.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
if you by touch up paint, even from a main dealer, is very likely going to be a different shade from the colour of your car. if you ask around your local accident repair/re-spay garages there are many of them that can match your car colour up pretty much exactly and will make a small tin up for you. not all establishments will do this but some will so ask around, you can then use an artist paint brush to touch in any chips and keep the rest of the tin for any latter problems

·
Registered
196 Posts
QUOTE (ITEN @ May 4 2010, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319471
the colour of the car is Alpine Blue metallic,the paint supplied also says Alpine blue BUT the colour is a COMPLETELY different,It's a very dark blue!
Has anybody else had this problem as I suspect the wrong paint has been put in the wrong pot.
BTW I did shake the pot well before applying,I will return pots to the dealer asap for their opp ion,but it nowhere near matches
Metallic paint looks quite dull until the lacquer is applied. Did you get a small container of lacquer as well?

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is the problem with metallic paints. They usually look darker as the colour is also made by metal flakes. Try mix it for long time and then pick more flakes when applying. If not try to get lighter metallic blue colour for other model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to my local Hyundai dealer in Warrington to order a touch up paint,
they check at the colour code and went straight to their paint shop and mixed me a bottle,
FREE OF CHARGE, which is very kind and courteous of them.

So it shows, not only we got a excellent value car, we also got excellent service too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hi guys!also need touch up myself for some stonechips,I only noticed them when rust started to appear,whats the best thing to get rid of the rust first? :puzzled: does anyone think the paint job seems a bit thin as i cant see any primer layer between the paint and the rust?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You must clear the rust first. The problem is it may be a little bigger job as you must remove rust and paint/primer around with sand paper or rust remover. Then put the primer (as many layers as required) and then paint in layers. I am bit surprised that you have rust already. Even if the stone goes trough paint and primer the bodywork should not rust that fast. I have seen Seats, Nissans and Toyotas with with deep scratches (pain and primer removed) but no rust even after 2 years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a stone chip which had gone rusty. Took it to the dealer to get squeaky seatbelts fixed, asked about the rust spot and a small scratch and they repaired the lot under warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE (danburgerz @ May 25 2010, 11:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326293
hi guys!also need touch up myself for some stonechips,I only noticed them when rust started to appear,whats the best thing to get rid of the rust first? :puzzled: does anyone think the paint job seems a bit thin as i cant see any primer layer between the paint and the rust?
My i10 hasn't had an easy life. We had a bad winter and it's had a fair share of bumps and scrapes...

Just serviced and valeted for £98+vat.

Looks like new. It had some deep scratches before. The base red is strong!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Limited.. surf blue
11 Posts
Yes! I purchased a Surf Blue touch-up pen from my dealer for my 2020 Kona and the color is WAY off! It's a much darker blue and now the chip on the front fender looks like a much worse flaw than it did when it was just the chip! My vehicle is only 3 months old so I'm pretty pissed about it. I double checked the part number to make sure they didn't give me the wrong one, but the part number is correct. I myself am wondering if they put the incorrect pen in the container. I filed a complaint with them but have yet to get an answer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts