Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been the very proud owner of a new Terracan since the beginning of January. Today whilst commuting to work the electrical systems died one after the other. First the fuel filter warning light came on, then the stereo died, then the clock. I made it to work, stopped the car, took the keys out of the ignition and shut the door, at which point the starter motor began to turn over by itself. I quickly disconected the battery and phoned the RAC. My car now sits in a dealership with an engineer who cannot understand what has gone wrong. Has anybody else ever suffered from a similar situation with their Terracan and is there a light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, it is the firt time that read this kind of catastrofic failure.
In fact this is the first electrical problem I read in the forums.
Bad luck. Be confident that your dealer will solve your problem quickly and sastisfactory.
No exorcists needed.

junav

www.clubterracan.net

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems as though your electronic control/ body control system micro chip has been over exposed to static or some form of electro-static discharge that is causing a complete malfunction. A new electronic unit should solve your major problem.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've got the car back now. The highly undetailed report stated that the failure was due to a wiring fault. On driving the car home I've noticed two things. Firstly they have left a big scratch on the lens of the dashboard instruments, (dissapointing) and secondly the front wiper blades do not have an intermittent mode. So it looks like the car is going to have to go back in to the garage.

I have requested a letter of explanation from Hyundai UK as to the source of this fault. I still remain disturbed that the starter motor could turn itself over without any human intervention.

I'll update again once I have recieved a response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guess what, the electrics burnt our again tonight. Lovely smell of burning wires and a dead car. So it's back to the garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by sumpo69@Mar 2 2005, 07:14 AM
Well guess what, the electrics burnt our again tonight.  Lovely smell of burning wires and a dead car.  So it's back to the garage tomorrow.
[snapback]7977[/snapback]​

Wow sumpo69, you are having a bad run :crying: ......is your Terracan a diesel or petrol?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a diesel. Hyundai UK customer services were contacted after the first event. They replied by letter stating that the original fault was due to loose wiring behind the dashboard rubbing and causing a short circuit. When the second event occurred we discovered that as part of the repair, a seperate new wire (non standard) had been connected between the battery and something else. Hyundai UK are very concerned and will be keeping in touch with the dealership where it is now being repaired for a second time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well three weeks later and I've finally got the car back. It took the chief engineer of Hyundai, a new starter motor, wiring loom, ECU and varkous other parts, but the finally got it all up and running again. I am now waiting for Hyundai UK to send me a full report on the whole mess, ut at least I'm driving again.

Let's hope thats the end of these problems...............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts