Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size torque wrench do I need to take the lugs on and off my Accent? I know I can find the torque information on HMA, but I'm a wrench-noob. Would anyone be so kind as to post a couple links to torque wrenches that would do the job?
I want to rotate my own tires from now on, so any help you could give regarding that would be great too...

I own a pair of car ramps and a pair of 4 ton jack stands. What else should I get to rotate my tires?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Save the torque wrench for installation/tightening of wheel nuts.

Use a 1/2 drive breaker bar for loosening the nuts, or run them off with gun.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You can't change tires with ramps ;)

There are two kinds of torque wrenches, click and beam.

Click types are popular because they are easy to use. Set the torque you need and it clicks when you reach it. The big downside is that they need to be calibrated once in a while and need to be handled carefully.

Beam types are simpler in design, cheaper and also don't require calibration. You stop tightening when the needle is where you want it.

If you get a beam type, get one on which you can put the socket on each side. It sucks when you can't see the needle :whistling:

Don't use a torque wrench to remove bolts, use a breaker bar or standard wrench.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Sep 25 2010, 05:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358736
You can't change tires with ramps ;)
teehee! :)

Yeah blood, you will need a way to get both ends of the car off the ground. 

Great write-up on the torque wrenches. :thumbsup:  I need to get me one of the fancy clicky clicky ones but haven't wanted to part with the cash.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i thought that a click type torque wrench, when compared to a comparably rated beam type is usually shorter/ more compact?

when I was comparing the 2 types at sears, when I bought my 1/2" torque wrench, the beam types were just way to long to be useful, since i dont own a lift. I have a hard enough time trying to get my click torque wrench in spaces under cars to torque suspension bolts of various types.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Sep 25 2010, 08:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358777
teehee! :)

Yeah blood, you will need a way to get both ends of the car off the ground. 

Great write-up on the torque wrenches. :thumbsup:  I need to get me one of the fancy clicky clicky ones but haven't wanted to part with the cash.
I know this is a dumb thing to ask, but is there a way to rotate your tires without a lift?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then that is what I shall buy. How do I get the other side up? Front side up first, jack stands, back side up, jack stands, rotate?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about the other part? The Torque wrench SIZE? 1/2"? What size torque wrench would I need for the lugs on these cars?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Sep 26 2010, 08:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358995
How about the other part? The Torque wrench SIZE? 1/2"? What size torque wrench would I need for the lugs on these cars?
Do you have a toolkit with sockets and basic tools? I would go with a 3/8" and get a 1/2" adapter if needed.

Truth be told, you don't really need a torque wrench. A good tightening with the stock lug wrench is enough for me.

If you don't have any tools, there are good bottom of the line tools out there. In Canada you can buy Mastercraft tools. They are good and really cheap when on sale. In the US, Craftsman is pretty equivalent. Their kits contain the basic tools you'll need to get a lot done on an Accent.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i use a 1/2" torque wrench. i believe setting is 65-80 ft/lbs? I do mine at 75. I just use a small 1/2" extension and the right size socket and it's golden. i tend to over tighten so I need the wrench.

;-)

Also, to rotate i use 1 2.5 ton floor jack and jack up one side and swap front to rear, then use jackstand to hold that side up and jack other side up then do other side then swap the fronts....

its cool to see the whole side get jacked up just by the one jack in the middle of the frame rail. :)

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (silverflash @ Sep 28 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359444
i use a 1/2" torque wrench. i believe setting is 65-80 ft/lbs? I do mine at 75. I just use a small 1/2" extension and the right size socket and it's golden. i tend to over tighten so I need the wrench.

;-)

Also, to rotate i use 1 2.5 ton floor jack and jack up one side and swap front to rear, then use jackstand to hold that side up and jack other side up then do other side then swap the fronts....

its cool to see the whole side get jacked up just by the one jack in the middle of the frame rail. :)
Brand/model of wrench? I went to Sears and they're all HUGE. Like 2.5' long torque wrenches. Is that typically the size?

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
They're generally not very compact tools. :grin:  All I've seen were on the long side.

Sears has some nice ones. I recently looked at their selection and drooled over the fancy electronic one they have for a couple hundred bucks. pfft, I have a cheap beam-type from Harbor Freight!

·
Registered
339 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Sep 28 2010, 05:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359451
Brand/model of wrench? I went to Sears and they're all HUGE. Like 2.5' long torque wrenches. Is that typically the size?

i have 2. one if the big one, maybe 18 inches long to like 200 some ft/lbs- bought at advance auto. the other is a much smaller one that goes from 5ft/lbs to like 100. I can use either. Both advance auto.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts