Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new crank shaft.It is supposed to use standard bearings.
But when I torque them to 36 ft lbs it is to tight can not roll engine over by hand.
I have had several different people tell me different settings.
From 36 to 39 ft lbs which is to tight.Now a different dealer tells me to torque the rod caps between 11.6 to 14.5 ft lbs.
I really need help and the truth.
Thanks
PJC

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
MAJOR FAIL HERE ---

1 - You have not completed profile to display in box at left under your username tell us what year Tiburon, which engine, and a location... I do not know what we playing with

2 - Text of post does not indicate what exactly we playing with,, no year, no engine size... I do not know what we playing with

Help us help you

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I don't have a manual, but 36-39 sounds right...what does the Plastic-gage say? Are you using moly lube?

ps I'm a weekend mechanic.

Yah, listen to what he says!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get the plasti gage. Find out the proper torque. 11 lbs doesn't sound right at all for the stresses a con rod would put on caps unless they are made of aluminum, in which case they would have stripped out when you tightened them to over 30 ft pounds. And are the bolts stretched? Some con and main bearing bolts have to be replaced after being tightened, even if they are new because hey stretch when tightened. And I don't think over tightening con rod caps would lock up an engine, unless they are WAY overtightened. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Get the plasti gage. Find out the proper torque. 11 lbs doesn't sound right at all for the stresses a con rod would put on caps unless they are made of aluminum, in which case they would have stripped out when you tightened them to over 30 ft pounds. And are the bolts stretched? Some con and main bearing bolts have to be replaced after being tightened, even if they are new because hey stretch when tightened. And I don't think over tightening con rod caps would lock up an engine, unless they are WAY overtightened. Just my .02.
often a 2 step procedure, 11 lbs may be the initial torque, followed by another step, but whatever it does need to be done according to hoyle or the results may be less than satisfactory.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
The rods are matched during the build and need to go back in the proper hole. Did you mark them while doing the tear down? They may be marked on the rods themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts