Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Have a 2004 hyundai accent and I think I am having problems with the torque converter locking up in a timely fashion. It typically takes 15 to 20 minutes when I am driving on the highway. Is this normal for it to take that long? My gas mileage is terrible (22 mpg last fillup) and I am thinking its related to this.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
how many miles on the car? whats the fluid condition and when was the last time it was changed? i always start with the simple things first. also, check the electrical wiring and connectors. i had a similar problem thought was the converter and was a broken wire. what is the vehicle doing or not doing?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
If it's really cold that may be the reason. And if you go directly out onto the highway that may be another. A couple of stops and starts helped me on my last car if it was really cold.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like something isn't right there...i agree with checking fluid, if it hasn't been done in a long time a full flush may be necessary - not the usual pan drain and refill nonsense. one thought is if the oil is getting very old in there, it may have absorbed some moisture - just as brake fluid will over time. it would change the viscosity of the fluid at colder temperatures easily.

also check for any ECU codes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check the fluid & ECU codes when I get home. It was last changed a few years ago and maybe driven 30,000 miles since it was changed. Car currently has 88,418 miles on the odo. The time to lockup doesn't seem to change in the summer. Still around 15 to 20 minutes on hot days.

This has been bugging me for a while now. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
-Luke

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The trans fluid temp sensor my have high resistance in the circuit or the sensor itself. This would make it read colder than what it really is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I checked the car tonight. No ECU codes when I hooked my scanner up. Took the car for a drive to warm it up, drove it until the converter locked. Took about 20 min again. Took it back home and checked the transmission fluid level while the engine was running. Looks like its down a little. I wiped the dip stick about 5 or 6 times just to be sure. I attached a photo of it. There is no "Full" mark, I am assuming it should top off at the top hole?
-Luke

https://www.dropbox.com/s/779uhlo030g3acs/IMG_20140122_194517_587.jpg

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you'll need to check that with the car fully warm if it wasn't...shift through all gears as well before checking.

if it was warm, you're likely low. should be between the two holes on either side of HOT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts