Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this car has been my nightmare and continues to be. I had the dreaded issue of a failed engine at only 55k miles and was due to the excess wear and was replaced under warranty by the car dealership I bought it from. The dealership is a Hyundai certified dealer and service department. I have been driving on this new engine for almost 4k miles and had to take it back in because of mild shaking at high speeds and on acceleration. They found that the driver side upper cv axle boot was torn and the entire axle needs to be replaced. I am having a hard time believing that the tear did not come from the technicians when doing the engine replacement. I don't think they did it on purpose but accidents do happen and I think they made a mistake and aren't acknowledging it. I have never heard of an upper boot tear and specially on a car with only now 59k miles on it. The oil from inside the boot has leaked all over the NEW ENGINE!!! making me even more suspicious they caused it, if it was already torn why is there so much oil on the new engine (bright green color). The shaking is very mild and I just started noticing it so it is in the early stages of wear which is another concern pointing to the engine replacement as the cause.

Does anyone have any advice? The said it is not covered under warranty because the boot is torn (meaning it is still under the mileage requirement) so they aren't even trying to help me, they are simply sticking me with the bill. $750!!! Bill

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Does anyone have any advice? The said it is not covered under warranty because the boot is torn (meaning it is still under the mileage requirement) so they aren't even trying to help me, they are simply sticking me with the bill. $750!!! Bill
Small claims court. Let a judge determine - but you'll need some evidence that it more than likely caused by engine swap. Take pictures. Usually boots crack from age unless something on the roadway torn them.

Know how the old engine was removed and the new one installed. Were the axle shafts removed and replaced. How susceptible was the upper boot to road damage.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The shaking sounds like motor mounts, the CV joints would usually make noise while turning. And they are inner and outer (not upper and lower). An after market complete axle (not OEM) is probably 150 and you could take it to any competent garage.

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
221 Posts
The cv boot has happened to my car as well but it was outside the warranty so it was not covered, however they are a problem on these cars. I would try a different dealer and play stupid. Hey my car boot is torn. That's it, see what happens. Dealers will always try that stuff. Or you can call the service manager and ask them what can you do to fix this warrantable issue. Worse comes to worse try a case with Hyundai.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Torn CV boots are a problem with almost all FWD cars. Road hazards can tear them, and age/heat can make them crack, but that usually takes about 9 or 10 years to happen. Usually the way you can tell (when all the grease inside has dried up or been thrown out) is a clicking noise when turning at parking lot speeds. Even then, you can drive on them for a long time before anything catastrophic happens.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I went to a place (local garage) and they said I need both axles because one was spraying grease! Turns-out the mechanic sprayed grease on the boot and surrounding area, there was no hole in the boot...I wrote them up on their website, Google, and Yelp.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Could be a coincidence, however I'd venture to say they were the culprits due to engine replacement and the mileage to compromise the joint,
but would be difficult to prove, actually impossible to prove they were at fault, and the stealerships will lie through their teeth
to shed any responsibility. They were so incompetent when they replaced my engine, needed to speak with the owner, and with 27 dealerships under
their belt, problems were addressed. The inner CV when worn, will cause a vibration, and a CV joint that was compromised by a torn boot is not covered
under the powertrain warranty.
Having said that, as it was stated above, go with an aftermarket D/S axle, depending on the engine 2.4 >$60, 2.0T $95 and have someone do the install.

Maybe to ease your mind, 11 2.0T on the way to Florida a couple years ago, smelled burning grease when we pulled into a rest stop, took a look, and out of
nowhere, the P/S outer CV boot shredded and oil was slung all over. Drove to Florida and had a local mechanic install the axle for $90, but I purchased the part.

It happens, so just go with the flow and have it done, no sense beating a dead horse, and remember that stealership in the future. Over the last
13 years, dealt with 5 different Kia stealerships and 4 were problems. The only one that was top notch went out of business, maybe they were too honest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be a coincidence, however I'd venture to say they were the culprits due to engine replacement and the mileage to compromise the joint,
but would be difficult to prove, actually impossible to prove they were at fault, and the stealerships will lie through their teeth
to shed any responsibility. They were so incompetent when they replaced my engine, needed to speak with the owner, and with 27 dealerships under
their belt, problems were addressed. The inner CV when worn, will cause a vibration, and a CV joint that was compromised by a torn boot is not covered
under the powertrain warranty.
Having said that, as it was stated above, go with an aftermarket D/S axle, depending on the engine 2.4 >$60, 2.0T $95 and have someone do the install.

Maybe to ease your mind, 11 2.0T on the way to Florida a couple years ago, smelled burning grease when we pulled into a rest stop, took a look, and out of
nowhere, the P/S outer CV boot shredded and oil was slung all over. Drove to Florida and had a local mechanic install the axle for $90, but I purchased the part.

It happens, so just go with the flow and have it done, no sense beating a dead horse, and remember that stealership in the future. Over the last
13 years, dealt with 5 different Kia stealerships and 4 were problems. The only one that was top notch went out of business, maybe they were too honest.
I went under the car yesterday to look at it myself and there is a skid plate that runs the length of the car and the inner boots are both protected by it, so I find it very hard to believe something punctured it from driving. If this was the outer boot that connects to the wheel I wouldn't have any case as it is exposed but those inner boots are protected. I think I'll have to tell them hey this shouldn't have happened and should be covered. The dealership I deal with is pretty good, I mean they are still a dealership but if I bitch enough I think they should take care of me. Hoping anyways. We all know they could get the warranty to cover it, the technician is just being lazy. I don't like dealerships or mechanics honestly it's so hard to find one that is honest anymore. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I went under the car yesterday to look at it myself and there is a skid plate that runs the length of the car and the inner boots are both protected by it, so I find it very hard to believe something punctured it from driving. If this was the outer boot that connects to the wheel I wouldn't have any case as it is exposed but those inner boots are protected. I think I'll have to tell them hey this shouldn't have happened and should be covered. The dealership I deal with is pretty good, I mean they are still a dealership but if I bitch enough I think they should take care of me. Hoping anyways. We all know they could get the warranty to cover it, the technician is just being lazy. I don't like dealerships or mechanics honestly it's so hard to find one that is honest anymore. Thanks for the advice
First, warranty does NOT cover a worn CV joint if the boot is damaged. Many have been rejected as they use the example poor maintenance.

In my above example the engine under-covers were in place, 3 months prior I removed the knuckles to replace hub bearings and when reinstalled, all CV boots, inner and outer were 100%, no damage. I changed the oil maybe a week prior to leaving for Florida and there was no evidence of damage. At the first rest stop, maybe 250 miles on the road, grease smell,, and CV grease all over. No explanation as to why, except possibly a defect in the factory boot, and the boot doesn't need to be damaged to rip.

As I stated early on, probably done by the dealer, but it's a no win situation. Sometimes they give an inspection report when they replace the engine, so take a look to see if an inspection was done and what the report indicates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts