Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard various rumors about the top speed in the Sonata so I went out today to test it. I have a manual GLS, the car pulled good up to around 122mph where I had to shift into 5th gear, the gearing does not exactly lend itself for top speed. One you hit 5th gear the rpms drop too low for it to pull good since it makes all its power up high. But it slowly crept up to a little over 130mph (looked like 131-132) where it hit and obvious governor. I think uncapped the car could do at least 135-140, maybe even a bit better. It felt really smooth at those speeds, smoother than my z06 corvette even. Sonata is a great car..

I wonder if the automatic is any different, anyone know?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I typically record with one hand and drive and shift and everything else with the other. Since my wife was in the car she objected and said she'd record. She said you could see the speedo in the video but you clearly can't. But you can see a little bit of the needle position. If anyone really cares I can make another proper video. I start the video from a street start in 1st gear... I'll post it in a moment.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ May 9 2010, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321309
I've heard various rumors about the top speed in the Sonata so I went out today to test it. I have a manual GLS, the car pulled good up to around 122mph where I had to shift into 5th gear, the gearing does not exactly lend itself for top speed. One you hit 5th gear the rpms drop too low for it to pull good since it makes all its power up high. But it slowly crept up to a little over 130mph (looked like 131-132) where it hit and obvious governor. I think uncapped the car could do at least 135-140, maybe even a bit better. It felt really smooth at those speeds, smoother than my z06 corvette even. Sonata is a great car..

We need a BS flag on this board. no way the Sonata felt better at 130 than a Z06. Just no way. The vette is built for that speed, the Sonata is not. Above 100 the steering is way to sensitive in this car because of the electric assisted crap. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of the steering?) :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ive pulled 128 with an automatic no problem other than the car does not feel planted. I am gonna work on the alignment and switch to the Conti DWS tires. The way it pulled to 128 I am sure that 140 is attainable. My car seems to be very suseptable to cross winds. Does anyone else have this problem...Great post..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 10 2010, 08:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321378
We need a BS flag on this board. no way the Sonata felt better at 130 than a Z06. Just no way. The vette is built for that speed, the Sonata is not. Above 100 the steering is way to sensitive in this car because of the electric assisted crap. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of the steering?) :)
I wouldn't go that far.

I had a 5cyl VW Quantum that had a so-so feel at normal highway speed. When I kicked it up to 100-110mph,
it felt solid as a rock. I had an Audi that felt great below 80mph, but felt very vague above 80mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 10 2010, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321398
I wouldn't go that far.

I had a 5cyl VW Quantum that had a so-so feel at normal highway speed. When I kicked it up to 100-110mph,
it felt solid as a rock. I had an Audi that felt great below 80mph, but felt very vague above 80mph.
You are talking about a car that is built to go 190MPH+ though. It wouldn't not hug the ground at just a mere 130. I've driven a Z06 up to 150 before and that thing felt like you were going 60. Had my BMW up to 140 when I did euro delivery on it in 2007. Handled like a dream at that speed. Even had my '00 Z28 with a removed limiter up to almost 170 (had a laptop hooked up to determine speed since it was beyond speedo) That car was a little scary at that speed.

I just don't see that a car that isn't built for speed would handle better than a car that's meant to go 50% faster. (the Z06)

Based on the way my Sonata feels above 80 it feels like if you move the steering wheel a 1/4" you'd drive off the road. I just don't see where it could be great at 130. I'll take it to my "closed" road to test though and let you guys know. ;)

That VW should have felt great above 100, I'm honestly surprised the Audi didn't. Most german cars are meant to handle autobahn speeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 10 2010, 08:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321378
Lol, If you've ever driven a sports-car on the level of a z06 the ride is really harsh, wind noise is pretty intense (high drag than sonata), and in the z06 as I sailed past 130 the acceleration upsets the car more than a a car which very slowly reaches the speed. Don't get me wrong, I clearly couldn't even touch the wheel at those speeds in the Sonata without losing control of the car, anything but straight and you are on shaky ground, the corvette is low and hard so although it feels harsh it's capable of actually turning and handling those speeds but the feel isn't nearly as nice. So maybe poor choice of words on my part to make it sound like a Sonata has more stability than a z06 at 130. It doesn't, but it does feel nicer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 10 2010, 09:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321399
You are talking about a car that is built to go 190MPH+ though. It wouldn't not hug the ground at just a mere 130. I've driven a Z06 up to 150 before and that thing felt like you were going 60. Had my BMW up to 140 when I did euro delivery on it in 2007. Handled like a dream at that speed. Even had my '00 Z28 with a removed limiter up to almost 170 (had a laptop hooked up to determine speed since it was beyond speedo) That car was a little scary at that speed.

I just don't see that a car that isn't built for speed would handle better than a car that's meant to go 50% faster. (the Z06)

Based on the way my Sonata feels above 80 it feels like if you move the steering wheel a 1/4" you'd drive off the road. I just don't see where it could be great at 130. I'll take it to my "closed" road to test though and let you guys know. ;)

That VW should have felt great above 100, I'm honestly surprised the Audi didn't. Most german cars are meant to handle autobahn speeds.
I guess the 'feel' of stability varies from car to car. Of course 'feeling' stable has zero to do with actually being stable. I've driven that same z06 up to 170mph, and I can tell you it felt like the car was going to float away and I was going to die. The front end was very lose, it seems to not be well planted on the ground, and the noise was insane. I've also driven my 240SX up to 185mph and I'm surprised I actually made it out of that thing alive. Yes, the steering is overly sensitive at those speeds. I'm used to that so it does not bother me at all (didn't even notice), what gets me scared and nervous is how 'smooth' a car goes across the ground and wind noise. Otherwise you are just going in a straight line.

I've gone top speed in every car I've ever owned so I can tell you the Sonata was very smooth my GLS has full thick tires (not low profile) and very good aerodynamics which makes it feel very nice at high speeds. Of course any thought of turning (maybe even just changing lanes) and you are in huge trouble.

My 240SX had a 2JZ and did 10 second 1/4 with over 600hp before anyone calls BS on the 185mph 240SX.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Confirmed with GPS ??

Rest is what the PWC people call the "Dream Meter"...

Pics or it didn't happen :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 10 2010, 11:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321442
Confirmed with GPS ??

Rest is what the PWC people call the "Dream Meter"...

Pics or it didn't happen :thumbsup:
What would you like pix of? The Sonata's cluster at 130? I'm a little confused. What would that prove anyway you can put it on jack stands and take a pic at 130.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (Spookpur @ May 10 2010, 07:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321402
Closed course in Mexico? :460: Looked like plenty of other cars going by and road sign, landscaping............lol
Maybe Mexico is a closed course...?

But yeah, the cluster's not gonna be very accurate at those speeds, although I guess the governor will cut you off at when it thinks you're at 130.

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ May 9 2010, 11:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321309

You hit the maximum speed in the 5-th gear? What happened to the 6-th gear? I think in Mexico they have only 5 speeds allowed on close courses..

·
Registered
932 Posts
At what speed did the ECO light go off? Or does the manual even have an ECO light?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts