Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a CPO 2011 Limited and am learning all the ins-and-outs. Can someone verify what all should be in the tool tray in the back? I have:

1. scissor jack
2. lug wrench
3. wrench-to-jack adapter rod
4. cargo net
5. front license plate adapter

There is a spot for what looks like a fire extinguisher and first aid kit, but they are empty. Are they accessories or standard with the car?

The only reason I ask is, I have a background in BMWs. Older models (and maybe some new ones) have toolkits mounted in the trunk and are famous for mysteriously vanishing tools. Kind of like how socks slowly vanish in the laundry over the years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It may vary by market, but UK models also get a 10/12mm open-ended spanner, a flat/crosshead screwdriver, USB/MP3 cable and locking wheel key.

On vanishing tools, I did my apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce Motors in the 1960s - we used to sell about 2,500 Rolls-Royce and Bentley models each year but had to make 4,000 toolkits/year to ensure every car went out with one!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may vary by market, but UK models also get a 10/12mm open-ended spanner, a flat/crosshead screwdriver, USB/MP3 cable and locking wheel key.

On vanishing tools, I did my apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce Motors in the 1960s - we used to sell about 2,500 Rolls-Royce and Bentley models each year but had to make 4,000 toolkits/year to ensure every car went out with one!
No screwdriver or spanner/wrench in our Hyundai. No locking lug nuts, so no key. My BMW came fully prepared in the trunk and toolkit - "widowmaker" emergency jack, metal wheel chock, full-size spare with matching alloy wheel and summer tire, spark plug socket, reversible screwdriver, 2 open-ended wrenches, wheel mounting pin, adjustable wrench, lug wrench, towing eye, allen key for the sunroof and a slot for the locking wheel key. Whew! You can do almost any basic maintenance with those tools.

Funny, the first thing we tried as we drove off the lot was our standard iPhone USB cable into the USB outlet in the center console. It would charge for a split second then stop. This cycle would continue for about a minute until it finally gave up. Turned right around and went to the salesman. "Ohhh yeah, you need the special Hyundai cord to connect your iPhone. I'll get one for you...it's on me." Ha, 'It's on me', what BS. He wasn't doing us a favor, it should be included with the car!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I forgot to mention the towing eye - the UK models also get full-size alloy spare and tyre to match the roadwheels as standard.

Many BMWs now get no spare, just an emergency inflation kit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
get a 2.5 pound ABC multi-purpose or BC rated dry chemical fire extinguisher. It will fit nicely in the compartment tray. If you have lots of extra money buy a Halitron fire extinguisher instead. Halitron replaced Halon as a "clean agent." No mess to clean up verses a big mess with dry chem. I once saw a Lamborghini burn up while all the driver has on hand was a bottle of water.

Shop First Alert 2.5 Lb. 1-A:10-B:C Fire Extinguisher - Rechargeable at Lowes.com

Be Safe, Mark V.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendation Mark, although in my entire life I can't remember ever needing a fire extinguisher in my car or any other car. I guess if the price is right it can't hurt to have anyway. Besides, it would be cool to "save the day" and stop some exotic from completely burning to the ground!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My limited came with the iPod cord. Otherwise just the jack and lug wrench. I typically buy a cheapo tool kit at Walmart and throw that in with some basic survival supplies in every car. You probably aren't worried down in GA, but here in PA some have been stranded on the Turnpike in winter for a day due to backups and closing from snow...not a great reflection on State government here when thousands were stuck a couple of years ago. Doesn't cost much to have a little preparation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts