Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car will be at the dealer to trouble shoot why the windshield wipers stay on when the engine is running. Will not shut off! Obvious parts replaced to no avail. Will post update later....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess one solution would be figuring out how to make it rain every time you start the car too....but that might not be too practical ;)

I sure hope they figure it out for you!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
wait....2 weeks to troubleshoot wipers? TWO WEEKS?? am i reading this right? i really hope not.

the answers are 3 maybe 4. the switch in the control stalk is stuck on, a relay is stuck on, wire is broken and wipers receiving power from another source, or if you have the auto water sensing wipers the sensor is gone.

this is not rocket science.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wait....2 weeks to troubleshoot wipers? TWO WEEKS?? am i reading this right? i really hope not.

the answers are 3 maybe 4. the switch in the control stalk is stuck on, a relay is stuck on, wire is broken and wipers receiving power from another source, or if you have the auto water sensing wipers the sensor is gone.

this is not rocket science.
My guess is a broken wire getting power from another source. Had a similar issue with a broken wire in the trunk wiring loom earlier this year.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Crazy this would take 2 weeks. If my car had electrical gremlins like this I I would either extend warranty or consider trading when warranty runs out.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My (fake internet) money is on the multi switch...Had this with a Ford Ranger a few years back. I can't believe two weeks, unless the part is in a shortage, and someone is walking one over from Ulsan.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Two weeks is unreasonable in any book, short of no repair parts in stock. Wiper circuit should be relatively easy to troubleshoot. Have you contacted Hyundai's regional service guy?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Sadly it's not this simple, guys. The Elantra has no wiper circuits or relays; it's all in the main computer.

·
22,793 Posts
My (fake internet) money is on the multi switch...Had this with a Ford Ranger a few years back. I can't believe two weeks, unless the part is in a shortage, and someone is walking one over from Ulsan.
Your fake money probably has more value than our American dollar at the present time.

I thought these things could self-diagnose themselves. More or less. Getting so a guy can't even work on his own vehicle, anymore. Well, except for a few mods, here and there. I'd never be able to diagnose this wiper issue.

Whatever happened to just replacing parts until you get it fixed? It isn't expensive if you've got a warehouse full of factory parts at your fingertips. Well, the labor is.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wipers

Sadly it's not this simple, guys. The Elantra has no wiper circuits or relays; it's all in the main computer.
Right on!

They replaced the main computer already! They are now pulling parts from an unsold stock car now! My bet it is in the wiring system!

I have a third car, my 25 year old Mercedes 300E, that I can rely on for now. That runs perfectly! LOL!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I respectfully disagree. According the HMA website, there are 2 relays in the 2011 tech package wiring, the wiper realy and the rain sensor relay. It does get a bit complicated with the mist control but troubleshooting down to the main culprit, the one causing the wipers to run, should not take more than an hour. Swapping out parts like a computer before analyzing is usually done by an inexperienced tech, unless the experienced tech knows history of a known bad component. Even then, swapping out a component without verifying, is bad form. I'd start at the running wiper motor and work backwards to find the root cause. It may be a component. It may be wiring. It may be more than a single item. My point is that it should not take 2 weeks of diagnostic work. My guess is that they have put the car to the side and are waiting for a specific Sr. Technician to have time to work on it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wipers

I respectfully disagree. According the HMA website, there are 2 relays in the 2011 tech package wiring, the wiper realy and the rain sensor relay. It does get a bit complicated with the mist control but troubleshooting down to the main culprit, the one causing the wipers to run, should not take more than an hour. Swapping out parts like a computer before analyzing is usually done by an inexperienced tech, unless the experienced tech knows history of a known bad component. Even then, swapping out a component without verifying, is bad form. I'd start at the running wiper motor and work backwards to find the root cause. It may be a component. It may be wiring. It may be more than a single item. My point is that it should not take 2 weeks of diagnostic work. My guess is that they have put the car to the side and are waiting for a specific Sr. Technician to have time to work on it.
You would think so!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Right on!

They replaced the main computer already! They are now pulling parts from an unsold stock car now! My bet it is in the wiring system!

I have a third car, my 25 year old Mercedes 300E, that I can rely on for now. That runs perfectly! LOL!
Older cars were simple. The more electronics the more trouble. there were times when a car had only a few components in the engine bay. there was enough space to fix it yourself. Today it's full of wires and tubes.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Sadly I can't access HMA tech drawings or anything like that because I have a Mac :( but I stand corrected. I'm curious what the rain sensor relay does as we don't have rain sensing wipers. :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, since you can't access it, here is a copy of that schematic. Fairly typical one with a few twists. Still should be fairly easy (he said from thousands of miles away:grin:) to troubleshoot. I think that the mist sensor, when selected, runs the wipers as required when the windshield gets wet rather than on a variable time delay. Just a guess though. I've got the dumb GLS model.

Attachments

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
California has pretty strong lemon laws. It might be time to contact a lemon law lawyer.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Crazy that it's taking this long for what should be a much simpler diagnosis, especially from the folks who should know these cars inside and out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts