Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealership I bought my Elantra GT from offered me an insurance plan called Titan Vehicle Protection that will basically give me unlimited dent and ding repair, headlight and taillight repair (or replacement, if need be) and tire and rim repair. Also, there's no deductible. Seems to good to be true but they assured me it's all legit. The price is $1325 which will cover me for 84 months. I can't find a whole lot of information on this insurance. What do you guys think? Has anyone here actually repaired a dent or ding with this policy? If so, what was the experience like?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
How many claims can you make with this "insurance"?

I thought it was illegal for dealer to sell "insurance"... They should be calling it "warranty" or the like. Well here in Quebec a dealer cannot sell so-called insurance because only financial institutions have the rights to sell insurance.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The dealership I bought my Elantra GT from offered me an insurance plan called Titan Vehicle Protection that will basically give me unlimited dent and ding repair, headlight and taillight repair (or replacement, if need be) and tire and rim repair. Also, there's no deductible. Seems to good to be true but they assured me it's all legit. The price is $1325 which will cover me for 84 months. I can't find a whole lot of information on this insurance. What do you guys think? Has anyone here actually repaired a dent or ding with this policy? If so, what was the experience like?
Typing Titan vehicle protection into google turns up a wealth of information that should help you determine if this is right for you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typing Titan vehicle protection into google turns up a wealth of information that should help you determine if this is right for you
I already Googled it. Virtually all the search results are just dealership pages trumpeting high-level information I already have. I asked for the policy document so I can look it over but in the meantime I'm mostly looking for some real-world feedback from people who used this insurance to fix something, or people who have read the fine print and their thoughts on it. Insurance companies will promise you the moon and then throw every possible hurdle your way to prevent you from claiming.

·
22,793 Posts
They wouldn't offer it if there wasn't a big profit margin in it for them. So, do you get a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop for a week getting a dent repaired? Plan on keeping the car that long? 84 months? Or, trading up in 266 moths or so? Then what?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Of course there's something in it for them. Think of the amount of times you go in to get your head/tail light repaired/replaced. VERY rarely, if ever. Dings they outsource to another company, probably dentwizard or something, and they would charge the dealership maybe $20-$50. Even if you went in with 10 small dents over the 7 yr period, even at $50/dent they'd still be making $850. Tire repair.. they'd probably go through the manufacturer to claim the rest of the tire warranty and get the money from that. Rim repair costs up to $200.

I bet the majority of people forget they even have the warranty, especially after the 1st yr of ownership. If you don't forget, good on you.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Small dings like that simply don't bother me and headlight damage is rare but entire units can be bought off eBay. If you buy this at least negotiate the price down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
22,793 Posts
Our area tire stores around here will fix our flats for free. Maybe not so fortunate up there. And the rotations at our store is free. So, that would be out of the picture. Discount tire will sell you a replacement warranty for about $18 a tire. Even if you didn't buy them there. Let's see...so far that is $72, total. What's left? Oh, ding repair (5cm) and a rim rash repair? You can buy a rim off Craigslist or eBay a lot cheaper.

After sleeping on this, I'd say take that $1,325 and invest it into something that will pay you back with some interest. And, it also adds to your car payment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. In the end I decided against it. Small dents and dings will probably bug me the first year or so but as someone else mentioned, after a while you get used to it. I think OkieRich's suggestion is sound ... put the money in savings. I tend to buy and hold when it comes to vehicles but if I want to sell the car someday I can always take that money and fix whatever dents and dings actually DID happen (if any). I don't put a lot of km's on my vehicles so issues with head/tail lights, tires and rims are rare for me, and probably covered by my regular insurance. Cheers!

·
22,793 Posts
^^^ That'll be $10 for the semi-professional, common-sense consultation fee, sir! :wink2:

Now, quit worrying about this mess and go "enjoy what you bought to enjoy!"

·
22,793 Posts
LMAO, that was a good read, Xsolara. And some right-thoughtful comments to consider if this topic ever rears up it's head, again..

·
Registered
254 Posts
My letter to the dealer

On Tuesday May 6, 2014 I brought my vehicle in for an appointment with a Titan technician to repair several dents that did not require painting.

Upon receipt of my vehicle, I did a walk around to inspect the work performed.
I was pleased that the dents the technician repaired were mostly invisible.

Unfortunately I also observed the following:

- what appeared to be a scratch 3" long along the top of the passenger door frame where it meets the corner of the windshield.
There was also a 2.5 " scratch on the front passenger window running from the top of the glass downwards.

- a small gouge the size of a stone chip right on the trunk lid. I applied touch up paint, but it is visible and has defaced my otherwise perfect paint job!

- 2 missing retainer clips on the trunk lid liner, as well as several that were loose. He had to work on 2 dents on my trunk lid. The interior of the trunk lid also exhibited some white residue.

- various suction cup marks along both sides of the vehicle.

I immediately went back into the dealership and brought this to the attention of Mr Hormuzd Engineer, the service attendant handling this matter. He came out with me to see the car. I showed him the long (what appeared to be) scratch at the top of the passenger door. His immediate response was " That was already there, sir".
I replied that it was not there when I brought the car in.
There was an existing stone chip on the windshield right next to the scratch. Hormuzd pointed to that and stated that was the cause of the scratch beside it. I informed him, again, that it was not there when I brought the car in.

Once I got home, I discovered that it was not a scratch per se, but a deep blue/black scuff mark, that I was able to buff out. The point is, the worker should be more careful with my 2011 Elantra, and clean up his mess he left for me to find! The scratch on the glass remains, I was not able to buff it out. I was able to remove the white residue on the trunk lid liner after considerable effort with a damp cloth.

I noticed on prior visits to you facility that when I got a 'loaner car' your staff do a detailed walk around the vehicle and note on a diagram all existing damage, to which I had to sign off on before getting the car. If this procedure was conducted on customer cars prior to your working on them, it would have given me more credibility. I could have taken pictures of my car before you started work, but I entrusted your staff to be more vigilant, and honest.

It was sloppy work, for which there is no excuse.

I would like my passenger window either replaced or restored, and my trunk lid repainted.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not worth it honestly. The amount you need it far outweighs the cost.

How often have you broken a headlight or taillight? I never have in 23 years.. As for dents and ding, most paint-less dent repair places can do them for $25-50. So not really worth it. A person will never own a dent free care their entire life. Is it worth $1300 probably not.

As for rims, same thing how many bent rims does a person get in their lifetime? I Never have, as for tires. All tires come with warranty so it's useless..Heck go to Walmart buy tires you have roadside assistance for free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts