Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has any one changed the OEM (NEXEN) tires before 40K ?

Elantra SE 2017 , Mileage : 33,000.

what replacements did you put on ? AZ weather :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Take a look over on the TireRack site as you can see various models, prices, wear, reviews, etc. They even list installers and installation prices so maybe you can find one in your area.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I replaced them with H rated General Altimax RT43 at 16k . My Nexen's were T rated and had small cracks. RT43s are quiet with good traction. Take turns much better. Not as soft as what came on the car so I feel the road more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
has anybody changed from 205 to 215? my Focus has 215 and it turns way better than the Elantra i also have them OEM tires on my 2017 with 32.000 Mi and started looking for a replacement the OEM tires have become way to loud on the highway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have around 41k on my 17 elantra SE. I'm thinking on replacing the tires with General AltiMax Rt43. A lot of good reviews for the price.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I hit the wear bars, even wear, all four tires, at 20K miles on a '14 Elantra GT. The Nexen's handled good, but wore like pencil erasers.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Why doesn't Hyundai and others give us a choice to give them a couple bucks more so we can get a decent set of tires on a brand new vehicle? Cheapest ones they can find.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cheap tires equal $$ savings. When car purchased just have them change the tires to something more desirable, more money so 99.9% don't. I didn't and the Kumho's were terrible, but rode them out for 27k miles then over to something "bigger" with more road feel and longer life.

has anybody changed from 205 to 215? my Focus has 215 and it turns way better than the Elantra i also have them OEM tires on my 2017 with 32.000 Mi and started looking for a replacement the OEM tires have become way to loud on the highway.
215 is standard size for the 17" so that shouldn't present a problem, in fact I always go at least one tire size wider. Speaking of wider, one needs to be vigilant about the tread width as a wider tire, let's say 215 can have a tread width that's narrower than the 205.
I know, hard to believe but it happens. With a quick check:
215/55-16 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept tread width 6.7"
205/55-16 Cooper Evolution Tour tread width 7.1"
Choose wisely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thought i was alone, felt like i am in a tin can and was wondering shocks were not doing its job. Asked a mechanic as well to check them and he said they were just fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran General AltiMax Rt43 T rated on my previous Elantra's with very good results. When replacing the OEM's on my 18, I got a good deal on Goodyear Max Life which seem to be wearing very well. I've got about 15k on them and still have 7/32 of tread left. The Kumho TA11's that come on it factory were already wore out at 15k. Our roads here are rough on tires. 2018 SEL 205-55/16

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheap tires equal $$ savings. When car purchased just have them change the tires to something more desirable, more money so 99.9% don't. I didn't and the Kumho's were terrible, but rode them out for 27k miles then over to something "bigger" with more road feel and longer life.

215 is standard size for the 17" so that shouldn't present a problem, in fact I always go at least one tire size wider. Speaking of wider, one needs to be vigilant about the tread width as a wider tire, let's say 215 can have a tread width that's narrower than the 205.
I know, hard to believe but it happens. With a quick check:
215/55-16 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept tread width 6.7"
205/55-16 Cooper Evolution Tour tread width 7.1"
Choose wisely
i found a nice chart (link below) a 205/55R16 has the same diameter as a 225/55R16 but i think the width is to much might go for a 215/55R16,does the diameter in this car affect the MPH? i know some cars measured it differently some with a wheel sensor others with the transmission, the later one is easier to program.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thought i was alone, felt like i am in a tin can and was wondering shocks were not doing its job. Asked a mechanic as well to check them and he said they were just fine.
I know the focus has an independent rear suspension but the different between the two is night and day, granted the Elantra is gear more to comfort.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've put two sets of General Altimax RT, on a Subaru and a Pontiac, and they are one of my favorite tire purchases.

Though not for the N-Line. It's getting Pilot 4S.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i found a nice chart (link below) a 205/55R16 has the same diameter as a 225/55R16 but i think the width is to much might go for a 215/55R16,does the diameter in this car affect the MPH? i know some cars measured it differently some with a wheel sensor others with the transmission, the later one is easier to program.

Didn't look at the chart, but a 205/55-16 can't have the same diameter as a 225/55/16.
Years ago had 205/60-16 on one of my cars and went with 215/55-16, while on the Optima 2.0T 215/55-17 changed to 225/55-17.
Many years ago a 215/55-16 tire was nonexistent, so the manufacturer went with 205/55-16, but I changed to 215/55-16 front, 235/50-16 rear. Actually still have the car after 30 years, but don't use the car very much, which is good as a 235/50-16 tire isn't manufactured anymore.

Many various combinations can be had, so just need to check the tire dimensions carefully.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The General RT43 H-rated are very good tire . Have used them for both cars for many years . Can be bought at low price along with a rebate of $50 .

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in Arizona and I had to replace the Nexen tires at 35k after the first year. I put on Bridgestone Turenza Serenity Plus from Discount Tire and got 51k out of them. I just put another set of the Serenity Plus on last week at Discount. I have never used these before, but they were recommended to me and I love them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Arizona and I had to replace the Nexen tires at 35k after the first year. I put on Bridgestone Turenza Serenity Plus from Discount Tire and got 51k out of them. I just put another set of the Serenity Plus on last week at Discount. I have never used these before, but they were recommended to me and I love them.
how is the road noise and handling compare to the stock tires?

·
Registered
79 Posts
how is the road noise and handling compare to the stock tires?
The cornering is excellent with minimal if any slip and the noise is far less than the Nexen's that came off the first time. It's been raining in Arizona today and they have handled the water very nicely as well, both for traction and cornering.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Really can't make any recommendations, tire manufacturers must be bored as they make changes every year. Always find deals like four tires for the price of three. Ha, what's on sale this week?

One year tried Dunlop tires, Dunlop did invent the air filled tire, they last over 100K miles. Some tires are real road noisy, others have far superior traction on snow covered roads.

Good honest tire dealer should know what's best if you tell them what you want. A $3,000.00 200 mph tire may only last 20 miles driving at 200 mph. I do look for thread wear warranty but its worthless, million reasons your tires can wear out fast and none of them can you prove.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Interesting in the quality of the tires, between models. The tires on my 2018 tucson, look great at 40,000. They are actually rated for 80,000 Miles

1 - 20 of 24 Posts