Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best tires for our Azera cars? I live in New York where we have a lot of snow and ice. I know the General Altimaxs are mentioned here in this forum, but supposely they're not good in the snow. Any suggestions??
GrayKnight

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am very pleased with my recently-mounted Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires (avail at TireRack.com; they were the best reviewed tire in that size, and sell for just north of $100/tire).

Previously I had Continental Touring Contacts, which were under-rated for the car's max speed*, squealed more when cornering, and made more road noise. The Touring Contacts weren't terrible mind you, but weren't overly good either.

I just took a 2100+ mile trip with the Extreme Contact DWS set, through everything from 8-mile no-other-cars-in-sight straightaways to mountains with steep grades and tight curves. The DWSs were quiet even at extreme speeds. They do not back down at all when cornering... they provided a steady grip with no chirping. Lastly, overinflating them to ~36psi helped offset the Azera's body roll somewhat.

PS - * yes, I was nearly able to hit it. :D

QUOTE (grayknight @ Jun 29 2010, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337240
What are the best tires for our Azera cars? I live in New York where we have a lot of snow and ice. I know the General Altimaxs are mentioned here in this forum, but supposely they're not good in the snow. Any suggestions??
GrayKnight

·
Registered
32 Posts
2006 Azera Limited. After getting 74,450 miles on my OEM Michelin's (rotated all 5 every 7k miles), I installed 5 Continental Pro Contact with Eco Plus at a total cost of $865 (including balance and 4 wheel alignment ). I never truly had a complaint with the Michelin's until now; WOW they were noisy and hard as compared with the Eco Plus. Additionally, for the entire 74,450 miles I got 26 MPG as indicated on the MPG gauge within the car (never reset the gauge). After 2,750 miles on the Eco Plus (I reset the MPG gauge with the new tires) I am getting 28.4 MPG! I decided on these tires because I drive a lot and rotate often and the Eco Plus are not "Directional" tires, so that allows me the ability to rotate all 5 tires extending my investment. I strongly recommend you consider these tires, oh yes they have an 80,000 tread life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on my 2007 Azera after reading here. Thanks guys..
I have a brand new car. The road noise and bumps that used to constantly annoy me with the Original Michelins are gone. I drove through rain and it was like the car is glued to the road. Love them love them love them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Input - Update Requested,

I have the original OEM Michelin's on my 2009 Limited. I have about 25,000 miles on them. I live in Wiscnsin, so traction in wet icy snowy conditions is important. The Michelins are cuped and the road noise is horrific.

The rest of the car has performed very well. I have religiously serviced it and hasd tries checked and rotated as service recommends.

So what is my question? I have been reading the posts on both ContinentalTires (Extreme Contact DWS's and Pro Contact with Eco Plus). to those owners, can you give me an update since you put them on?

I have read some of the otheer threads (Tirerack.com and others) - Consumer reports.com and the ratings are very mixed on both of them. I really want to make an informed decision when I replace them this fall.

In advance, thanks for your input!

:liebe011:

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (grayknight @ Jun 29 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337240
GrayKnight
Got all 4 tires from tirerack.com I bought the kumho tires and the ride is very smooth, performance is excellent and great tires for all weather.Make sure you rotate your tires and balance them regularly.Reason for me to replace all 4 tires was because the previous owner did not rotate regularly which caused the tires to make this weird thumping sound when you drive it so do yourself a favor and rotate regularly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got 48,000 out of my original Michelin's on my 2007.

Just replaced them (needed to long ago due to the cupping and loud noise, but refused to until they were treadbare) with the Bridgestone Serenity tires.

O.M.G. what an incredible difference! I love my Azera once again! (except for the exterior door handles and incredibly bad AM radio reception)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire recommendation

I'll mention the Sumitomo A/S PO-1s on my 2008 LTD. At 8,000 miles here in Charlotte they're doing fine. Like others here, rotation is very critical for any tires on our Azeras. I've also increased air pressure 3-4psi due to my 70% hwy use, better fuel efficiency and to overcome the handling issues from front end.
Tire Rack also sells them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another shout-out for the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, as I put a set on my 2006 about 12,000 miles back and am very satisfied. I'm getting the distinct impression that nearly anything that will fit the wheel will be better than the OEM Michelins, and that's kind of disappointing because I had Michelins on both of my Accords (1977, 1990) for over 500,000 satisfactory miles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
A tire is a ring-formed masking that suits all over a wheel side to secure it.The first tires were bands of iron located on wood wheels, utilized on carts and wagons.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Put Kuhmo ECSTA LX Platinums on my 2008 Limited 3K ago and counld't be more pleased. Much more quiet than General Altimax HPs that had over 30K on them. Best price was from TireBuyer at $126 apiece. Had tires force balanced and four wheel alignment by local tire shop and found alignment out of wack from alignment done by Hyundai dealer only two months ago.

·
Registered
313 Posts
GrayKnight

I replaced my Michelins with General Altimax's and the ride was incredible, great traction wet, dry and even in snow. Ride was very quiet and I believe I got a good 45K miles out of them before replacing. Probably would have lasted longer if my alignment wasn't off. I think it's universally agreed that the OEM Michelins leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS tire will reduce your rough ride by 90% and the noise by almost the same. The tire is true to the road even at 85 mph. No more bouncing around! Great tires!!1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jan 2013. I replaced my original equipment Michelins with Continental Extreme Contact DWS's 35K miles back. They were 100% better than the Michelins in terms of road noise, but they didn't last the 50K they were supposed to. Now looking to change. I am not sure which to go with

G

·
I've had a number of tires on both my NF and TG and my preference would go to Bridgestone Turanza GR90.

They're quiet, work well in the rain instilling confidence and don't squeal much when pushed hard in corners. The only down side is they cost a lot, easily double that of Hankook and Kumho.

Some of the others I've tried:

1) Yokohama db Decibel - Compound is a tad too soft, sustained a lot of cuts when I spin the front tires. Decent grip in the dry but I can feel a loss of grip when the road gets wet and can feel the car sliding at high speeds. Squealed a fair bit only when pushed hard into the corners. Otherwise a good tire although it cost around the same as the Turanza.

2) Micheline Primacy / Energy - This is one **** of a squealer when pushed hard but has decent grip wet or dry. Noisy too.

3) Kumho Solus & Hankook Optimo - IMHO, I'll only go for them if I'm on a budget and provided I'm not one who'll drive fast and brake hard. The tires do not have as good a grip as the Turanza and db Decibel, they squeal when pushed, there is very prominent under-steer with these tires up to 2m difference in the corner exit, they provide decent grip in the rain, but don't give very good traction feedback and if you're braking hard, your ABS will kick in fairly early. They're not bad tires, just not suited for my driving style.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts