Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should need a new set by late fall and was looking for a quiet tire that gets decent mileage for my '18 Limited 2.0 Any advice is welcomed, thanks. We get very little snow and when we do I stay at home.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Michelin Premier A/S are a great tire but they last 20k-30k miles instead of the 60k miles they are rated. You may see them pop up during your search.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm going through the same quest currently with 36k miles on my factory Kumhos. If you want to spend $150 plus per tire, Michelin or Goodyear Assurance Confortred seem to be the best reviewed. But cheap ($65/tire) Nankang tires also get some great reviews at less than half the cost

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had some Firestones on my last Sonata. I'm not sure on the model, but it was the 60k mile one. I went up to a 225 width and it was night and day in comfort and noise compared to the stupid Kumho's they put on these cars.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Tires are really subjective, so take a look at the TireRack site for reviews/test and they even have listed installers in various areas along with installation costs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I really really like my Firestone Indy 500s. They are amazing on both dry and rainy conditions. A friend with an M-class runs the Michelin PS2s (I think that's the number) in the summer, and he says the Indy 500s are 95% as good for 1/4 the price.

Unfortunately, they don't come with a mileage guarantee, but they are $100 each so who cares. Anecdotally, I know two people with over 30,000 miles on them with no problems.

They are also absolutely useless on ice and snow, but if you get infrequent winter conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to run them year-round I ran mine from February to December, but it hasn't been super snowy here (Philly area).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not to worried as much about the mileage but more concerned about road noise. Bad enough I have to put up with the wind noise which is more than the '15 Sport I had. I'm easy on brakes and tires so the mileage will be there for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
best deal right now i have found is a set of nitto motivo 245/45/18 at Discount tire direct. Price is only good for today, but it comes out to $418 MINUS an $80 rebate. If you have the Discount Tire credit card you can get another rebate of $21, making the cost about $80 each shipped to your door. Yes, I know i posted 245 instead of factory 235, but those are the ones with the discount and will make no difference on handling or fuel economy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm currently running Michelin Premier A/S. These michelin tires perform well in all conditions, both dry and wet. Very minimal road noise. The only downside is that the tread wear is not so great maybe because the tire compound is a little soft.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just put a set of Milestar 932 Sport tires on my 2017 Sonata, only because the tire place was out of the Nankang's that I wanted. Milestar is made by Nankang a Taiwanese company, and looks to be the same tire as the Nankang NS-25 . A lot less noise than the original Kumhos that were on the car.
I read a lot of reviews on the Milestars before buying them, and they looked pretty good. At $67 per tire, if I get 3 years or 36k miles out of them I will be happy.

I also went up a size from 215/55r17 to 225/55r17. So far no issues, and the ride is smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
UPDATE The Milestar tires get tons of great review, but mine had a constant vibration that was annoying at 70-75mph. The tire shop that did the install balanced them twice, a week later I took the car to a different tire place and had the tires "road-force balanced". Still would not get rid of the vibration. So back I went to the original tire seller and for $150 they upgraded my tires to the original Kumho Solus TA31. WAY smoother ride. I'm not a big Kumho fan, I find them a bit noisy, but they are much smoother riding than the Nankang-made Milestars that I owned for 2 weeks. Thought y'all should know. I might have just gotten a bad set, but for whatever reason they could not be properly balanced.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Just last week had Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 installed on the 2015 Sonata Sport. Very quiet, smooth, handle good, and one of the very best rain tires on the market. Very weird looking tread pattern, but it works.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pirelli P-Zero, is what I run on my 19' Sonata as well as my Skyline R33. Depends on your driving style, and what you want out of your tires, milage? Safety? Quietness? Like they say Size matters!! LoL.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Since more and more people are replying to this tread (pun intended... sorry :p) I decided to add my two cents. I got on mine around two months ago the new Vredestein Quatrac Pro in 245/45R18. So far, except longevity which I can’t comment on in 3k km it’s an excellent all around tire. It’s a winter rated all-weather tire so it’s better in snow and ice than an all-season tire although not quite a winter tire. Also, according to Tire Rack it’s an Ultra-high performance all-season with the best water traction they’ve tested and it hasn’t disappointed in all departments. And as a bonus they’re extremely quiet, comfortable and weren’t the most expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last year - I decided to go "cheap" and got a set of Milestar MS 932 Sport tires. (89.00 per tire at simpletire.com) I have to admit they have been very good tires, very quiet ride and do great in the rain with no hydroplaning. This is the first time I have went this route, but saved hundreds of dollars over "name brand" and am very happy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts