Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM's lasted about 33K miles...

Bought Falken Ziex 912's and two on the front must be replaced after only 22K miles...I rotate the tires every 6K miles (every other oil change)...

I have been taking my autos to a firestone 'store' for the past 2 years and have had very good service with them, no complaints from either shop...(1 close to home and another close to work).

I bought the Falken's from a different shop.

I guess I didn't do my homework with the Falken's, evidently they are a soft tire (good grip etc) but poor for high mileages..

Anyway local Firestone shop recommends dropping down to a passenger tire vs a performance tire....will save money and last longer...

What do you guys think?

2 tires I am considering so far are the Firestone FR710 ($118 per) and Bridgestone Turanza Serenity ($163 per) not including mounting road hazard etc...

FR710's are a 65K tire and the Turanza is 45K..

On the Turanza, it is buy 3 get 1 free, which in the end make them about $50 more for a set of 4 over the FR710. Turanza get very good ratings and is probably a superior tire for handling etc...FR710 will probably last longer and not offer as good of ride/handling...

What would you do?

Thanks folks

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's about right for Falken.

Generally, the softer the tire - the better it performs and the shorter it's life. Protector plays it's part too.

If you get regular passenger tires it will last longer and perform worse, so it's really about what is more important for you.
The tires I usually buy last for around 40k and they're definitely not the best, but so are all the other all-season tires. So it works for me. I especially don't get any real high performance tires just because I like to keep the ride relatively comfortable, and I don't think a family sedan needs sports tires.

And I try to stay away from tires that are supposed to last 60k-80k-120k.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The original tires that came with my Nata were Michelin and they lasted for about 38K. They had about another 5k worth of treads when I took them off. I rotated them every 2nd oil change so every 6K. They were in the Touring section on Tirerack.com. They were quiet, responsive and comfortable tires. I would have gone with them again but, I changed the wheels out. It's all about what you like, comfort, responsiveness, quiet. Good thing about Tirerack.com, you can see their testing on a tire and read the input other consumers posted. Good luck choosing your next set of tires.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Hyundaiguy101 @ Apr 26 2010, 10:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317165
Imho, I'll get the Serenity. Its a far better tire and good in the rain.

I am leaning in this direction....especially that I got a 10% off tires coupon yesterday...

Although, they do have a "BUY & TRY 30 DAY GUARANTEE"...I could get the FR710's and then get the Turanza's if I don't like em..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I just put these on and they are now broken in. So far so good, but I haven't driven them in a downpour or snow, just light rain. Based on reviews on tirerack and around the web I have no doubt they will perform well. I also looked at the Serenity but I chose the Conti because of price and reviews (although I think you can get a $100 gift card with the Serenity). They are silky smooth and absorb the bumps better than the OE Michelin. They do have a softer sidewall even though they are Z rated. I just increased the PSI a little (35) and they are now performing much better. I'll sacrifice a little harshness for cornering.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...remeContact+DWS

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Insaneone @ Apr 26 2010, 03:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317049
The original tires that came with my Nata were Michelin and they lasted for about 38K. They had about another 5k worth of treads when I took them off. I rotated them every 2nd oil change so every 6K. They were in the Touring section on Tirerack.com. They were quiet, responsive and comfortable tires. I would have gone with them again but, I changed the wheels out. It's all about what you like, comfort, responsiveness, quiet. Good thing about Tirerack.com, you can see their testing on a tire and read the input other consumers posted. Good luck choosing your next set of tires.
I had exactly your experience with the stock tires. My goal was to replace them with something a little quieter
and a little less harsh, yet having decent dry and wet traction. I did careful research on tirerack.com, and came
up with US General Altimas. No problems so far at 5K miles. They're a tad more comfortable and quiet than my
worn out Michelins. Users are getting 45-55K out of them. They look sharp for Generals. I paid $500 out the door.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (bobad @ Apr 27 2010, 08:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317250
I had exactly your experience with the stock tires. My goal was to replace them with something a little quieter
and a little less harsh, yet having decent dry and wet traction. I did careful research on tirerack.com, and came
up with US General Altimas. No problems so far at 5K miles. They're a tad more comfortable and quiet than my
worn out Michelins. Users are getting 45-55K out of them. They look sharp for Generals. I paid $500 out the door.

I checked on these and they are not available in 225/50R17...closest is 215/R5017..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was also thinking of going with Continental ExtremeContact DWS, since they are the better tire and we get a lot of rain but not so much snow. I saw their test video and ratings, I will consider them for my next set of tires.

·
Registered
500 Posts
+1
I just had my OEM Michelins replaced at 39 (due to big bubble in front left tire) with a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys... So far they are great tires, grip is excellent, and they are very quite!

Out with the old

In with the new

·
Registered
190 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 30 2010, 01:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318133
Don't forget about your $100 Serenity Now Rebate. Just had my Tires and Pads looked at. Virtually NO wear at 23K. Some Cracking though.

http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/deta...sp?promoID=B018
Howdy,

I put a set of the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 08 Tib... they wear well and ride great. The handling is wonderful. These are going on my 06 Sonata V6 next time. I have Uniroyal Touring tires on it now and they are wearing well and ride quietly. Much better than the stock Michelins... good old WalMart. The things have and 80K warranty and look like they might make it...

Thanks,
Ray :liebe011:

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (raysilvers @ May 1 2010, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318671
Howdy,

I put a set of the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 08 Tib... they wear well and ride great. The handling is wonderful. These are going on my 06 Sonata V6 next time. I have Uniroyal Touring tires on it now and they are wearing well and ride quietly. Much better than the stock Michelins... good old WalMart. The things have and 80K warranty and look like they might make it...

Thanks,
Ray :liebe011:
Hey Ray sounds like a good choice. I had read a suggestion here where someone wanted to save some Money, and went with

an "S" or "T" rated tire. No thanks! I like your Tire and seems affordable!

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only
http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Center/Tire_Speed_Ratings

1 - 20 of 29 Posts