Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the forums. I have 2 sonatas. My 2013 (bought at the end of December) just got a flat today. Pretty sure road hazard isn't covered and to be honest not sure I want the Kumhos that are on it. So, I made a few quick calls and was told I had few replacement options in the 205/65 16s. I had one recommendation to go to 215s. So, never having put on a different size, are there any problems associated with this?

So, in a perfect world, what tires are recommended? I won't be using dedicated winter tires. Most hazardous driving will be in heavy rains although it could be in a fair amount of snow from time-to-time. Prefer handling even if I have to give up a little noise (only if I have to).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope this doesn't look like I am hijacking your thread, but it is related. Based on recommendations both on this forum and from friends who have recently bought tires, going to tirerack.com seemed to be the best route to buy tires. To purchase Continental Procontact Eco Plus from Tirerack.com, have them shipped, and mounted locally, the cost would have been $595.82 (tires, shipping, and installation - no tax). I just got a quote locally for the same tire, $560.25 total. No shipping cost, but have to pay the tax. @ $35.00 savings and supporting a local business.

Everyone's experience might be different, but for me, I'm buying mine from a local guy.

As for brand, I did use tirerack's comparison chart and determined the Continental's have all of the features I want, particularly quiet ride, good snow traction, and good gas mileage. There was a Michelin that was close, but I think the Continental's will be my choice.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I hope this doesn't look like I am hijacking your thread, but it is related. Based on recommendations both on this forum and from friends who have recently bought tires, going to tirerack.com seemed to be the best route to buy tires. To purchase Continental Procontact Eco Plus from Tirerack.com, have them shipped, and mounted locally, the cost would have been $595.82 (tires, shipping, and installation - no tax). I just got a quote locally for the same tire, $560.25 total. No shipping cost, but have to pay the tax. @ $35.00 savings and supporting a local business.

Everyone's experience might be different, but for me, I'm buying mine from a local guy.

As for brand, I did use tirerack's comparison chart and determined the Continental's have all of the features I want, particularly quiet ride, good snow traction, and good gas mileage. There was a Michelin that was close, but I think the Continental's will be my choice.

Good luck to you!
There were not enough true winter reviews to get a good idea on snow traction. These tires have not been out all that long and there were very few reviews indicating snow traction. I was using TireRack as my review source. Make sure you are using more than the number bar chart as your basis for snow traction.

I was in same boat and ended up with the DWS a few weeks ago for my wife's Sonata.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
speaking of tires....winter tires specifically

anyone have any experience with EITHER Nitto SN-N2 winter tire or the Hankook I-pike RW11 winter tire? Goodyear is out of stock, the two places i found with Blizzaks are quite a bit more expensive and the Michelin's are ridiculous for my specific size.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm a newbie to the forums. I have 2 sonatas. My 2013 (bought at the end of December) just got a flat today. Pretty sure road hazard isn't covered and to be honest not sure I want the Kumhos that are on it. So, I made a few quick calls and was told I had few replacement options in the 205/65 16s. I had one recommendation to go to 215s. So, never having put on a different size, are there any problems associated with this?

So, in a perfect world, what tires are recommended? I won't be using dedicated winter tires. Most hazardous driving will be in heavy rains although it could be in a fair amount of snow from time-to-time. Prefer handling even if I have to give up a little noise (only if I have to).
There are over a dozen H-rated or higher choices in the OEM 205/65/16 size:

Westlake SP06
Federal Formoza FD2
Nexen CP641
Nexen CP671
Nexen CP672
Cooper CS3 Touring
Kumho Solus KH16
Hankook Optimo H426
Falken Ziex ZE-912
Nexen N5000
Kumho Solus KH25
Nexen N blue ECO
Continental ContiProContact
Yokohama AVID Ascend
Firestone Affinity Touring
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Toyo Versado LXII
Continental PureContact
Michelin Primacy MXV4

For a tire shop to say there are "few" choices is a little weak. They might have to call their distributor and special order something as opposed to having something readily in stock.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I used my Cont DWS this week in a lot of snow. Work great. I have to take traction control off to get up steep grades, tires spinning but grabbing. Still nothing like AWD but they will get you moving. Stopping is decent. 10x better than hankooks.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I used my Cont DWS this week in a lot of snow. Work great. I have to take traction control off to get up steep grades, tires spinning but grabbing. Still nothing like AWD but they will get you moving. Stopping is decent. 10x better than hankooks.
Nothing beats dedicated winter tires but I was impressed at the difference the DWS made over the stock OEM garbage. Very pleased with my choice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.