Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so i just got my '14 Limited 2.0T few days ago, and it drives like garbage with a light coating of snow on the ground. Even the traction doesn't feel too great when the tires are wet

The factory wheel size on this car are the 18's w/ Hankooks

I also noticed, the regular non Turbo'd limited model comes with 17's

215/55 R17 7x17 Bolt, 5x114.3 [Non Turbo'd Limited]

I have a spare set of 17's that i took from my Mazda3 before i traded it in. They are freshly mounted on Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, with less than 7,500 miles. Bought this set of tires before my Mazda3 transmission started failing, and traded the car in with donuts, since they weren't going to give me anything for them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HPAS

205/50 R17 7x17 Bolt, 5x114.3 [2011 Mazda 3]

since the specifications are somewhat close, is it SAFE? to put my Mazda wheels w/ Michelin's already on them on the Sonata? Just for the winter. How much speedometer difference would it be roughly between 205/50/17 to 215/55/17?

At this point, i believe any tire would drive better than these Hankook OEMS... advice please? Oh and the Mazda wheels look like this:

Mazda 3 17" 2010 2011 Factory Rim Wheel 64929 | eBay

I took off the center caps, just so it doesnt look funny Mazda wheels on a Hyundai LOL, but even the wheel spoke patterns are roughly similar to the 18's :)

**forgot to mention, if i do proceed to do this, how would TPMS work? Can't i just leave the TPMS on the Sonata wheels, and rotate the wheels back on after the winter?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
You should be OK as far as using the Mazda wheels on the Sonata. Just know that without the TPMS sensors installed, you will have the error on the center dash screen that will not go away (at least in the 2011-2013 it does not)

Speedo difference may be up to 3MPH but not sure if + or -. FWIW, my speedo has been 2mph slow since I got the Red Sled.

Best tires for the 18" rims are either Michelin or Continental. Myself, I have had Continental ExtremeContact DWS (best) and now Michelin Primacy MXM4 (better). Either one makes the OEM tires look criminal by comparison. Prices vary and I would doubt you will find much in stock locally, so online is your best bet.

Hope this helps

Also, welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think it would be goofy looking but I've seen it done. The height of the tire would be 0.9 inch less and they would look skinny too by 0.79", see below. I would guess this would impact the shift points on the AT. When I was researching wheels on Craigslist I found a set of Mazda wheels that I considered and after some research I found that the TPMS runs on the same frequency thus they 'should' be okay.

225/45-18 205/50-17 Difference
Diameter inches 25.97 25.07 -0.9 -3.5%
Width inches 8.86 8.07 -0.79 -8.9%
Circum. inches 81.59 78.76 -2.83 -3.5%
Sidewall Height inches 3.99 4.04 0.05 +1.2%
Revolutions per mile 776.52 804.44 27.92 +3.6%

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just for the winter. How much speedometer difference would it be roughly between 205/50/17 to 215/55/17?
I think you need to compare the Mazda tires to the 18" Hankooks--
the 225/45-1R Hankooks are 25.9" in diameter. They will turn over 801 times per mile.

Just figure the ratio of the Revs./Mile of the 18" Hankooks to the Mazda take-off tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be OK as far as using the Mazda wheels on the Sonata. Just know that without the TPMS sensors installed, you will have the error on the center dash screen that will not go away (at least in the 2011-2013 it does not)

Speedo difference may be up to 3MPH but not sure if + or -. FWIW, my speedo has been 2mph slow since I got the Red Sled.

Best tires for the 18" rims are either Michelin or Continental. Myself, I have had Continental ExtremeContact DWS (best) and now Michelin Primacy MXM4 (better). Either one makes the OEM tires look criminal by comparison. Prices vary and I would doubt you will find much in stock locally, so online is your best bet.

Hope this helps

Also, welcome to the Forum!
thanks, yea i thought about the DWS myself, but i dont want to shell out another 700$ until i definitely need to..

the Michelin Exalto's i have were pretty much new, figured it would work and i could use them specifically for "winter"... then try to wear out the Hankooks after spring. They're downright awful.. and somewhere down the line maybe DWS's

I just wanted to make sure this was totally safe before i bring it to townfair tire and have them swapped since they do it free.

Think the dealership charges 19.95 for rotation

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you need to compare the Mazda tires to the 18" Hankooks--
the 225/45-1R Hankooks are 25.9" in diameter. They will turn over 801 times per mile.

Just figure the ratio of the Revs./Mile of the 18" Hankooks to the Mazda take-off tires.
lol see that gets too complicated, i just care about the safety issues

wasn't sure if there was a dramatic difference since the 2.4 Limited models run 17x7 on slightly bigger tires. Thanks tho!

I bet any of the tires out there run better than the ones we got from factory

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2012 Sonata GLS has 16 Kumos (OEMs) and it drives like crap in the snow.. (first time in 2 1/2 years). I beat the plows.. which I won't do again.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just took off the Crapkooks and went with the Continental extreme contact dws. Night and day difference, Great Price at discount tire

·
22,793 Posts
I bet any of the tires out there run better than the ones we got from factory
You'd win that bet. OEM tires are junk. Well, maybe not junk but darn near it. IMO.

Re: TPMS sensors. If the dash light comes on, put a small piece of black electrical tape over the icon. If the Mazda frequency is the same, then that is a non-issue.

There are generic center caps available that will fit the diameter of your center hole. Measure the circumference and search around for the size you need. eBay is a good starting point. There are also some adhesive Hyundai logo's discs on eBay that you can stick over the Mazda caps and most people would be none the wiser.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'd win that bet. OEM tires are junk. Well, maybe not junk but darn near it. IMO.

Re: TPMS sensors. If the dash light comes on, put a small piece of black electrical tape over the icon. If the Mazda frequency is the same, then that is a non-issue.

There are generic center caps available that will fit the diameter of your center hole. Measure the circumference and search around for the size you need. eBay is a good starting point. There are also some adhesive Hyundai logo's discs on eBay that you can stick over the Mazda caps and most people would be none the wiser.
i called the Hyundai dealership service manager, and asked the same question and he told me it was okay to run a seperate set of wheels/tires and the only that would happen is the TPMS sensor would come on. As long as the TPMS doesnt keep buzzing like the stupid seatbelt alarm ill be fine with it. He just told me during spring, if i swap the 18's + OEMs back on, the TPMS might have to be reprogrammed. <= not really sure about this, isnt the connection already there? Its not like im removing the sensor off the tires + wheels, then putting them on a whole new set of tires and wheels.

I took the Mazda center caps off, ill leave the center naked. Doesn't bother me. Unless there are some generic hyundai center caps for cheappppppp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts