Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been having problems with the hookan tires purchased with the 2009 sonata - first icy day handling was jerking the car over the road, slowed to 15 km per hour and put the car into 2nd gear, still no handling improvement and ended up bumping the curb, bending a tie rod end. At this point the rear tires were showing severe wear with 5,000 km on the vehicle. Replaced tires with a winter set and by 5,000 km the same thing happened. Two dealerships have been reluctant to assist and the head office finally helped a bit after taking the vehicle to an independent garage to check the wheel alignment - which was withing spec. So far all they have offered is to redo the wheel alignment and switch to the positive on the spec - then told me to put on new tires and see how it works.

Has anyone else out there had a similar experience - I've been driving since the 1960's and have never had a tie rod end bent, nor any problems with tires - would appreciate any help - the handful of tire people I've talked with say it is not the tires that are causing this problem.

cheerio
Deb

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I would have posted this on the Sonata 4G Board instead of here. This is the "What do you Guys think of my Cool Rims"...

You have a specific problem, and not a typical characteristic of the Sonata. I am not familiar with that Tire, but I will

say many Sonata owners, especially the Canadians seem to praise the Sonata handling in the Snow, so I don't know Deb? :00000732:

·
Registered
386 Posts
You know, I may be wrong(it has happened!) but I think Deb meant "Hankook".

Something awfully screwy with a car frying tyres after only 5000km, especially rears!

I would tend to agree that the vehicle, not the tyres, are to blame somehow.

Check with your usual trusted mechanic. If need be, take a knowledgeable, no-nonsense male type human device with you so there are no shenanigans! :grin:

If Hyundai has sold you a baddun, they need to make good, at least on the tyres and wheel alignments.

Cheers,

Andrew

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (DebKay @ May 19 2010, 10:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324275
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been having problems with the hookan tires purchased with the 2009 sonata - first icy day handling was jerking the car over the road, slowed to 15 km per hour and put the car into 2nd gear, still no handling improvement and ended up bumping the curb, bending a tie rod end. At this point the rear tires were showing severe wear with 5,000 km on the vehicle. Replaced tires with a winter set and by 5,000 km the same thing happened. Two dealerships have been reluctant to assist and the head office finally helped a bit after taking the vehicle to an independent garage to check the wheel alignment - which was withing spec. So far all they have offered is to redo the wheel alignment and switch to the positive on the spec - then told me to put on new tires and see how it works.

Has anyone else out there had a similar experience - I've been driving since the 1960's and have never had a tie rod end bent, nor any problems with tires - would appreciate any help - the handful of tire people I've talked with say it is not the tires that are causing this problem.

cheerio
Deb
If it's not alignment, or you don't ride around with dead bodies in the trunk all the time, then I would say the struts are bad somehow. Seen this problem in Azera mostly, and some Sonatas. Probably the dealer won't fix it under warranty, they'll go into denial about it. Certainly something is causing it and you're right, it's not tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts