Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side rear tire has developed a leak. 3 weeks ago, the "!" low-pressure light illuminated on the gauge cluster. I checked all 4 tires and the lowest was the rear left at about 28 psi while the others were around 34. The next week, the light came back on. This time, I just checked the tire that was lowest the week prior, and it was again around 28 psi. Now, a week later, the light is back on!

20,2xx miles on the odometer. Tires were rotated by me at 7,500 and 15,000 miles, due for a 3rd rotation at 22,500 or about 2,300 miles from now.

I read the pamphlet that came with the car about the tire warranty. Is this something I should take to Hyundai's service department? I'd like a new tire, or a patch, but I don't believe I should have to pay for it. And I don't have a spare tire.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You might have a small nail stuck in the tread, or the tire valve could be leaking.. (You can actually check this yourself.. Take the tire off and cover it with soapy water. The place were it's leaking will start producing little bubbles).

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure about the U.S. tire warranty. Our tires are warrantied by the manufacturer and not by Hyundai. I got a pamphlet from the tire manufacturer along with all the other car documents when I picked it up from the dealer. It says that cuts, and punctures are not covered.

But -- patching a tire or replacing a bad Schrader valve shouldn't be more than 15 or 20 bucks at any service station.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That new of tire, and losing air,, likely has puncture, and puncture is not warranty..

Sound like you buying a tire repair, quite common to pick up nail, screw, spike, drill bit, rivet, scrap metal shard in tire tread.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Guess I'll fill it up today and take it to the shop when I can this weekend.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In the past week I had a screw embed itself in my right front tire. A tire store would not patch it, because the hole was over on the shoulder block. But they told me a used tire place probably would. At the used tire place I got a plug put in it. It seems to be holding up.
The junkyard donut spare and the Harbor Freight jack + lug wrench I bought early on proved to be money well spent. Nobody in town had the Hankook H724 tire in our size (I didn't call a Hyundai dealer). Nobody I knew was available to drive me to a place 30 miles away where I could get a 14" 4x100 steelie and put a 175-70-14 tire of different brand on it to use as a full size spare. I was so worried about my used donut spare that I didn't want to put it on at first, because it's so small it looks like a kid's toy. But there was no alternative to it but a tow truck to a dealership, or rolling the dice on the fix-a-flat junk. It worked out fine, luckily.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know if I'd run with that plug for very long. There's a reason why real tire shops won't use them anymore, and will only patch the tire from inside. Just my opinion ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts