Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a bump on the sidewall of my tire and was wondering if my car warranty covers that? Has anyone tried to get the dealership to replace a tire? I think that a bump on the sidewall would be considered manufacturers defect of the tire, right? My GT just turned 1 year old a few weeks ago.

·
22,788 Posts
Hit any potholes, lately? Are they Hankook's? Been a bit of talk lately regarding this...especially with this brand. And, talk of a sidewall bulge as a result of potholes. Not all were attributed to potholes, however.

Regardless of tire brand, the warranty isn't Hyundai's to deal with for restitution. These are warranted by the tire manufacturer. You could try discussing this with a local tire store that handles the brand. Just don't go in expecting to get a new tire. And tire dealers are NOT real excited about replacing a tire. The warranty covers defects attributed to materials and workmanship. The burden of proof is upon you, unfortunately. It's not the car's fault. ALL car tires are warranted ONLY by the tire manufacturer.

You could try going to your dealer and seeing if they'll offer any advice. You might get a new tire. But based on the majority of posts I've read on here, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Keep us posted on this and how you make out. And watch that bump carefully. The last thing you need is a sidewall separation or blowout at highway speeds.

One more note: OEM tires on new vehicles, for the most part, are somewhere in the "junk to mediocre" range. When replacement time comes, step up to the plate and hit a home run for something better. It'll cost you, but you will be happier with the end result.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi! I have a bump on the sidewall of my tire and was wondering if my car warranty covers that? Has anyone tried to get the dealership to replace a tire? I think that a bump on the sidewall would be considered manufacturers defect of the tire, right? My GT just turned 1 year old a few weeks ago.
I had the same issue; a bump on my front right tire. I called the dealer but unfortunately, they told me "go to a tire shop they will have it quicker, we don't have any tire in stock and if there is a defect you need to claim it to Hankook yourself." Basically there is no road hazard warranty with the tires coming with the car.
So I ordered the tire myself on Tirerack and had it changed at the shop, so far I still have the defective tire and there is no visible evidence of any defect. I believe the tire would have to be cut and inspected but I did not have time and don't want to spend any more money to learn that the bump was caused by a pothole.

·
22,788 Posts
I think it probably depends on mileage somewhat.

There IS a short period of "bumper to bumper" warranty isn't there ?? Surely there aren't exceptions, are there ?? :D
I agree, Easy, there should be something that could be done. Discount Tire will sell you a warranty against road hazzards for about $15 a tire. Regardless of whether you bought them there, or not. I'm certain they wouldn't offer that if they weren't making money on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Guys,

Thanks for your input. I did not know that hitting potholes could cause a tire to get a bump. I have Hankook tires and my car has 17000 miles on it. So it looks like I am stuck.

TurboLed,
What tire did you pick from Tirerack?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got one of those sidewall bulges on my crappy Hanook tires at around 10,000 miles. No idea where it came from as there aren't any potholes around here. Needless to say, I'm at 15,000 miles with the same tire and am A-OK.

·
Registered
75 Posts
any bulge in the sidewall of a tire is bad. you need to get it replaced as soon as possible. all it can take is a small bump to have that sucker blow out on ya. I work for a shop and have told people to replace it when they come in and they don't listen, most the time is a couple days or week or so later and sure enough they come in saying they need that tire. worst one I saw was told the guy he needed a tire, didn't listen and was kinda mean about it, and was doing about 80mph on the highway and it blew out on him, hit a cement divider and totaled his car, he came in a couple days later with his wifes car which had the same problem and actually apologized to me for not listening.

·
Registered
119 Posts
any bulge in the sidewall of a tire is bad. you need to get it replaced as soon as possible. all it can take is a small bump to have that sucker blow out on ya. I work for a shop and have told people to replace it when they come in and they don't listen, most the time is a couple days or week or so later and sure enough they come in saying they need that tire. worst one I saw was told the guy he needed a tire, didn't listen and was kinda mean about it, and was doing about 80mph on the highway and it blew out on him, hit a cement divider and totaled his car, he came in a couple days later with his wifes car which had the same problem and actually apologized to me for not listening.

Yeah, Yeah. There was this argument over on the BMW forums awhile back too. It came down to that you don't know when/if it will blow. Sure, it's more likely to blow, but there's no guarantee it will. What if the bulge was on the inside of the tire? Chances are you wouldn't notice it anyways.

IMHO, throw it on the back wheel and forget about it. Just check to make sure the bubble isn't getting bigger. Be prepared to replace it, but again, I've gone 5,000 miles without a problem and some on the BMW forum had gone 20k+ miles without a problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, Yeah. There was this argument over on the BMW forums awhile back too. It came down to that you don't know when/if it will blow. Sure, it's more likely to blow, but there's no guarantee it will. What if the bulge was on the inside of the tire? Chances are you wouldn't notice it anyways.

IMHO, throw it on the back wheel and forget about it. Just check to make sure the bubble isn't getting bigger. Be prepared to replace it, but again, I've gone 5,000 miles without a problem and some on the BMW forum had gone 20k+ miles without a problem.

You must be talking about Bimmerforums since M3F or M5Board would never give such blatantly poor advice. Yea, if it's on the inside you really have no excuse, but if you SEE it and do nothing, that's not very smart.

That tire is defective and is dangerous. It's silly to let this go, ESPECIALLY on a new car. No, Hyundai doesn't cover it but if you look in your papers you should have a separate tire warranty. This is not a road hazard if it's simply delaminating so it should be covered. Take it in ASAP.

Edit: Just found a discussion about this on M3F (BMW forum) and every poster in the thread said to replace. Every one. I'd post the link but some forums prohibit linking to other forums.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You must be talking about Bimmerforums since M3F or M5Board would never give such blatantly poor advice. Yea, if it's on the inside you really have no excuse, but if you SEE it and do nothing, that's not very smart.

That tire is defective and is dangerous. It's silly to let this go, ESPECIALLY on a new car. No, Hyundai doesn't cover it but if you look in your papers you should have a separate tire warranty. This is not a road hazard if it's simply delaminating so it should be covered. Take it in ASAP.

Edit: Just found a discussion about this on M3F (BMW forum) and every poster in the thread said to replace. Every one. I'd post the link but some forums prohibit linking to other forums.
I think it was e90post.

Safe to Drive with Sidewall Bubble?

There's comments there that say service advisers said it was OK

Tire warranty doesn't cover it -- I already checked when it happened to me.

It's at an awkward time -- too soon to replace all of the tires, but not advised to only replace one tire. So you're looking at two tires, and at around $150 each (so $300 or so), that's an expensive cost for something that *may* not happen. That's why I'd recommend putting them on your rear wheels and waiting and seeing. If the bubble stays the same size, it may be fine for the time being.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Tire warranty doesn't cover it -- I already checked when it happened to me.
Your experience should NOT sway others with a similar problem from "checking" too.

Unless there was some obvious evidence of abuse......like bulges on BOTH sides or the tread crushed......the standard tire warranty absolutely should cover it.

And I'd still like to know how a bulge can develop on the INSIDE. ;)

There's comments there that say service advisers said it was OK
And we all know that service advisors are the final authority on everything.......right ?? NOT !!
In most cases, their title really should be "service order writers".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
That's what we get with cheaply built Korean tires. Now I have an almost-new tire lying in my basement that I will probably get rid of.
When the tire is not inflated it looks perfect. Now I know I should never buy used tires from a stranger unless they are installed on rims and inflated...

·
6,836 Posts
That's what we get with cheaply built Korean tires. Now I have an almost-new tire lying in my basement that I will probably get rid of.
When the tire is not inflated it looks perfect. Now I know I should never buy used tires from a stranger unless they are installed on rims and inflated...
Wise...very wise. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts