Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 Sonata 4cyl GLS is at 40k miles so I'm looking at replacing the tires soon. Since the car has TPMS which I've not had before, I'm wondering if there is anything special to be done when tires are replaced? Don't want to be surprised at the shop with some unneeded add-ons.
Normally I would have the valves replaced; does the TPMS necessitate a special valve, or do you rebuild the old valve.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2009, I would have no concern for valevs at current time...

Do you have aluminum wheel, or do you have steel wheel with wheel cover ?

Aluminum wheel the tire fella should do nothing with the transmitter other than dismount tire carefully.

Steel wheel they should unscrew the nut and allow the transmitter to fall inside out of way so it not get damaged during removal... slip new tire onto wheel, then install transmitter to wheel and inflate tire..

NOTE : The stems can be replaced, but have to make sure dealer has them (we keep a handfull of them), and they cost some $30 each, and do not come with new nut..... the transmitter complete is something like $60.... go figure.

If transmitter gets broke and replacement needed, then you need to have them all re-registered to TPMS module, due to the new ID code in the replacement transmitter.

2009 4 cylinder has current recall for PCM & TCM reprogram if yours is a 4 cylinder..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 711

for the valve info. I have the steel wheels so now I know the correct way for the tires to be replaced.

Also appreciate the PCM/TCM recall info. I've had the car into Hyundai dealer for routine oil/filter changes but they never mentioned the recall or any adjustment. Made a cross country trip and returned last week; saw the Check Engine light on several times and my call to the dealer just suggested loose fuel cap and/or different gas (never understand that since I buy from interstate stops along the way) as the reason for the light.

Guess it's time for a call to the service department tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
QUOTE (Saguaro_48 @ Aug 22 2010, 12:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350991
My '09 Sonata 4cyl GLS is at 40k miles so I'm looking at replacing the tires soon. Since the car has TPMS which I've not had before, I'm wondering if there is anything special to be done when tires are replaced? Don't want to be surprised at the shop with some unneeded add-ons.
Normally I would have the valves replaced; does the TPMS necessitate a special valve, or do you rebuild the old valve.

Thanks.
I merely transferred the TPMS units to new wheels when I changed out tires or rims. Put on a new set of tires and left the TPMS units in place and they work perfectly so long as the air pressure is correct.

I purchased a complete set of Limited tires and wheels for my 09 GLS and one can believe this if they want to but it is true. Although I drove it about 800 miles with the light on eventually it "fixed" itself. Took it to the dealer just to make sure and he never heard of it doing this before but to be safe "programmed" the TPMS units anyway. That was about 7,000 miles ago. Still working fine. Because I picked up a nail in a bad spot I decided to replace the tire and rim with another Limited wheel I purchased on Ebay. I merely transferred an extra TPMS unit from an original steel wheel to the new Limited wheel and it worked fine. I put the other Limited wheel and tire in the spare wheel well in the event I ever have a flat on the road and decide to change it myself.

On my 2008 Sonata I replaced all four original tires with new Kumhos but just left the TPMS units in place on the set of OEM alloy wheels I bought off ebay and they work fine as well.

Most of the time it is necessary to take the vehicle to the dealer to have reprogrammed. In fact it is supposed to be impossible to self-program them. But someway or another the 2009 reprogrammed itself on the way to the dealer. Don't ask me how.

The TPMS units actually work quite well but you need to keep the pressure up which is what they were intended to do. I don't think there is any great mystery here but many people believe they are a hassle. The only hassle I have experienced is when I have picked up nails and the air pressure dropped alerting the TPMS dash unit. Aired the tire up and it goes off.

I really don't know the difference between the 2008 and 2009 TPMS units. Perhaps someone could explain it. So far as I know the wheels are the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts