Hyundai Forums banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
For an all-season tire I would rate these as 4/5 in snow. For the money they are excellent. The tires were able to dig and grab traction during combined "normal" turning and accelerating. Flicking resulted in predictable performance, much better than some of the "big name" all-seasons I have had in the past. Snow braking was also very good for an all-season, with only one "oh crap" ABS inducing stop on a sheet of ice.
I have run the Cooper GLS on my Town & Country in the rain/snow/ice of MN, as well as the summer conditions now here in SE NC. I love them. Quite, great traction all around. I bought them back when NTB had them going to $89/ea which will probably never happen again. Hoping to find a deal on a spare set for my 2011 Limited.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone tried the new Hankook Kinergy PT H737 205/55r16 made in the new Hankook Tennessee plant? Impressive specs and the price is quite reasonable too (Walmart, etc.) . Looking for some good LRR tires.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
215-55-17 is the size used on the Sonata and also the Kia Optima and Soul. They fit the Elantra but it makes the car feel a little lazy because the larger tire radius makes available engine torque less effective. You will notice slightly higher shift points and the trans will linger in 4th gear and not shift readily into 5th until closer to 35mph in normal traffic conditions.

Fuel economy suffers a little but if you hand calculate mpg it appears to suffer a lot. That is because the odometer goes from underclocked to wildly underclocked - up to 10% under (roughly 90 miles on the clock = 100 miles driven) rather than the usual 3-4%. This means your mpg numbers will read 10% below what they actually are because you're odometer isn't displaying all the miles driven. Bonus - 100k mile power train warranty lasts 110k (actual miles) since it runs off the "indicated miles" - the number on the dash.

Note it will also raise ride height by about 3/4" because the tire is about 1-5/8" taller.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you all for the great information, I guess I should probably look at the 215 50 17's what I want to do is quite the ride.

Right now I'm looking at the Michelin Energy Saver A/S $615USD installed, Michelin Premier A/S $660USD installed and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus $540USD installed. They all come with a 70,000 mile warranty. Not sure which to go with and if there are better/quieter ones I've missed?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm thinking of going with the Pirelli's...The Michelin's are too expensive :)
A good choice. Michelins dry rot after 2 or 3 years and the car won't pass safety inspection. The Pirelli tires seem to last a long time, and tread life gets a lot of positive feedback from people here in the forums who have used them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My Limited also has 215 45 R17. How much will the 50's effect MPG, speedometer and even warranty? (my 2014 is still under warranty with 22.5K miles).

The car has OEM tires, but somehow has a set of Hankook and a set of Nexen. Both have nearly new tread but I am considering changing them.

I knew it was a trade off compared to the 16" rim/tires - but you gotta LOVE the 17" rims :grin2:

I'm old, I don't speed or accelerate fast. I just want a good performing, better riding all season tire with good tread life that won't break the bank.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My Limited also has 215 45 R17. How much will the 50's effect MPG, speedometer and even warranty? (my 2014 is still under warranty with 22.5K miles).

The car has OEM tires, but somehow has a set of Hankook and a set of Nexen. Both have nearly new tread but I am considering changing them.

I knew it was a trade off compared to the 16" rim/tires - but you gotta LOVE the 17" rims :grin2:

I'm old, I don't speed or accelerate fast. I just want a good performing, better riding all season tire with good tread life that won't break the bank.
50s will have very little impact on MPGs, and speedo, and zero effect on your warranty. You may get a little smoother ride, because the 50s have a taller sidewall.

·
Registered
151 Posts
50s will have very little impact on MPGs, and speedo, and zero effect on your warranty. You may get a little smoother ride, because the 50s have a taller sidewall.
Did a little looking and this for some odd reason concerns me just a little.

..................215/45R17 215/50R17 DIFFERENCE
Diameter.....24.6"...............25.5"............+3.7%
Width.........8.5".................8.5"..............0%
Sidewall......3.8"................4.2"..............+10.5%
Circum........77.3"..............80"...............+3.7%
Revs/Mile....820................792...............-28

At 60mph you are about 2.5 mph faster than stock.
At 70mph you will be about 3mph faster than stock.

I suppose I would have to see a 17 rim with both those tires to see if it's as noticeable as it appears.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you do make the switch, download a speedometer app, and you can see how far off it is. My 2011 was 2mph slow on stock 16s. My 18 Tuscon with 17s is dead on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any tips for picking a good winter tire for a 2012 GLS?

Even in a small amount of snow it feels like my car is skating on its Michelin 205/55R16 91H Defender's (yes these aren't winters, hence why I'm looking for some).

Has anyone experienced such a feeling with winter tires?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

Even in a small amount of snow it feels like my car is skating on its Michelin 205/55R16 91H Defender's (yes these aren't winters, hence why I'm looking for some).

Elantra is awesome on winter tires. I have used Blizzak WS80's and Conti WinterContact SI and both transform the car. You can still make it slide but you have to want to do it, and then the breakaway is more gradual and it's easier to bring the car back in line. All are consistent with far more traction than three season tires offer.

You can probably find a set of wheels in 15 or 16 inch that fit the car and put the winter tires on them for easy changeover.

For 15" wheels, choose 195-65-15 size.

For 16" wheels, choose 205-55-16.

If you want to raise the car about 3/8" for more ground clearance, 205-60-16 will do just that. They fit fine. I'm use that size on my car.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Venezia Crusade HP 205/55R-16

I've gone through many sets of tires on my 2011 GLS. Driving anywhere from 1,500 - 2,000 miles a month... Put the Venexia's on mid-summer and still running well, quite smooth ride, and zero loss of control in situations where I would have hydroplaned in my last Michelin Defenders. These were cheap, so I was skeptical - but so far I am not disappointed at all - Purchased at a local budget shop in PA

Recommended: Venezia Crusade HP 205/55R-16 -- If you can find them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can someone save me from looking at 48 pages??

Is there a consensus top 3 or 5 tire for these Elantras? I’m looking for an all season tire for my 15 Elantra Sport. Thanks y’all !!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
If you get rain where you are, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a good choice. Excellent handling on wet or dry. Another lower cost option I have driven on is the Continental Extreme DWS. Dry handling is not quite as sharp as the Pilot Sport, but crazy good grip in the rain. Bizarre tread pattern, but it works.

Ah, I just saw that you are in Houston. You will need a good rain tire. lol

461 - 480 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
137 Participants
flemmons
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing