Hyundai Forums banner

441 - 460 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found that the left front was at 35.5psai while the other 3 were at 32. I pumped them all up to 36 PSI and I will see if there is any difference.
You'll get better handling, especially on wet roads and less road noise with the higher pressure.

The downside is the increase in ride harshness.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found that the left front was at 35.5psai while the other 3 were at 32. I pumped them all up to 36 PSI and I will see if there is any difference.
After much experimenting, I decided that 35 to 36 psi is ideal for my 195-65 x R15 Firestone Champions

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can say that after several tanks of fuel and a lot of country driving, I do see about a 3mpg reduction with the tires at 36psi. If I really put a lot of effort into driving efficiently, I can get about 37MPG. I used to be able to break 40 with a bit of effort. If I don't make any effort about 33-34 is about it. it does disappoint a bit but the steering is much, much improved. Enough to make me want to keep the car. It has been 5+ years to get to this point.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Have had the PureContacts on since 6/29. Haven't had them on the highway yet, just local roads. With the size increase (225 vs 215), speedo is about dead even. Will be able to see better at highway speeds, but I can set the cruise at 51 by the speedo and the GPS matches on flat level roads. Ride is definitely better and much quieter. Mileage in my local driving hasn't changed, maybe a hair better, averaging about 28 in town with the AC running. Will be curious if I can break the 35 I usually see on the highway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK Folks, its time to change out the original tires on my 2014 Elantra SE. It has the alloy wheels.

What I am looking for are tires that are great in the snow & rain.

Also.... My wife bought a set of tires for her car & they are incredibly black. The original Elantra ones always need the tire spray to get them nice & pitch black.

So, I am looking for tires that are great in the snow & rain & whose rubber is really dark. (a little vanity on that last color thing, but it is kinda nice not to spray them with tire cleaner if not needed to get them pitch black.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much for any info you can offer!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Interesting read back from the OP! It hasn't been that long since Hyundai replaced the entire fleet of Genesis MY15 Sedan's original Hankook tires with Michelin MXM4 (certain that it was Michelin, MXM4 is best recollection) tires after only six months on the market. That says a lot and had to cost a bit, also. They had much better handling, far less noise and wore evenly at least twice as long. Michelin tires are almost always a good bet for your money. I have never been disappointed. I am not saying anything bad about the others, many of which I have no practical experience with, but Hankook just seems to be junk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discount Tire ran a two day special offering a $100 rebate on their "best" tires, a $100 rebate if you used their credit card, and I had a $50 off coupon from a car show, so even though we could have probably gone a little longer, we put the Bridgestone Driveguard run flats on my wife's 2013 with 40,500 miles on the Hankooks. Price dropped from $716 (including road hazard and TPMS rebuilds) to $466 net cost!

The Driveguards have a 60k mile warranty and enabled me to take the spare tire kit we bought for her car and put it in my newer 2014, as you can drive 50 miles at 50 mph should the Driveguards go flat.

Initial impressions are good... quieter than the Hankooks and good ride and handling. I was concerned the stiffer sidewall would compromise ride, but doesn't seem an issue. Seems to be a slight hissing sound from the cooling fins incorporated into the sidewall to cool the tire in run flat condition, but only noticeable with windows down.

Overall... great deal and good results. Her car now seems as quiet as my 2014 SE which has the Hankooks.
Anyone have any recent experience with the Bridgestone Driveguard? My 2013 Limited's tires (just over 40k miles) need replacing and I was looking at the Driveguards.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Milestar MS932 Sport All Season Radial Tire - 225/50R17

I must say, these tires have suprised the heck out of me for the first 4,700 miles so far. I know that's not many miles to judge on so far on a new tire. They have great wet weather grip and I'm hoping the light snow will match (fingers crossed) I'll rotate @5k and measure the tread depth then. Road noise is no better, no worse than others I've previously had on the vehicle @175k miles. You can really push these things in the on/off ramps before they begin to moan. They have a 50k mile warranty. I just wanted to post to the thread so i can keep a running time line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have any recent experience with the Bridgestone Driveguard? My 2013 Limited's tires (just over 40k miles) need replacing and I was looking at the Driveguards.
I ended up going with the Driveguards and they're about on par with the stock tires that came on the car. Sound is about the same and handling seems about the same as well. However, the only drawback is that I've lost almost 3 MPG over the last month with the new tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought 4 Cooper GLS Touring tires today for my 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan. This is a tire sold at Big O and some other big outfits. Big O had a deal, buy 3 get one free. I have been happy with Cooper in the past, have had many styles of their tires (truck winter, summer only high performance, all-season high performance, now touring all-season) and have always been impressed with the quality for the price. Add in that deal and why not?

Initial thoughts: MUCH quieter than the OME Kumho crap tires. MUCH softer ride. Threw them very hard into a tight corner, initially rolled over some on sidewalls (common for a touring tire), then they sat down and took the line very well. Braking performance has increased about 25% on feel, probably 10% on distance. I expect good wet performance, my past experience with Cooper's RS3-A (a high-performance all-season leans hard on the performance part) was more than acceptable so I figure a touring will do well; if it does not I will report back. What I have noticed in the past with Cooper is they do not chase the last g in cornering, they tend to rise to and meet the threshold gradually so I do not expect a surprise.

I'll come back when winter hits and give some more thoughts. We don't get a lot of snow here, but enough for a snow review. I am a very experienced snow driver due to some places I have lived, I don't expect true winter tire performance but you can bet I will put them to more of a test than most people lol.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I replaced my Continental Control Contact touring A/S, today. At just over 74,000 miles they were still at 5/32". Not bad, but going into winter, I wanted a little more rubber between me and the road. They made a change to the rubber compound. The load rating, and speed rating have increased. From 84T, to 91H. The milage rating dropped, though. From 90k, to 80k.
I'm looking forward to seeing if they feel any different, on the highway.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Doing a report out here for someone else's reference:

I drive a 2013 Elantra GT
had all 4 tires replaced at the 14K mile mark due to running over some nasty nails
Replaced with Michellin Premiers
Car is at 68K now and the tread is at about a 3.5/32 in the rears and 4/32 in the fronts. (54K miles later)
Rotated every 7500 miles, kept inflated to 32 cold morning psi.
Use as a daily driver here in Phoenix, AZ. Good road/freeway quality.
Never hydroplaned once during the monsoon season (I can't say that with other car/tire combinations in the past, so good job Premiers)

It appears the tires are following their warrantied tread life exactly.
I also feel like they've gotten louder as they have worn down (as every tire should I imagine), but I'll be able to confirm when I replace them again here in a few thousand more miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought 4 Cooper GLS Touring tires today for my 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan. This is a tire sold at Big O and some other big outfits. Big O had a deal, buy 3 get one free. I have been happy with Cooper in the past, have had many styles of their tires (truck winter, summer only high performance, all-season high performance, now touring all-season) and have always been impressed with the quality for the price. Add in that deal and why not?

Initial thoughts: MUCH quieter than the OME Kumho crap tires. MUCH softer ride. Threw them very hard into a tight corner, initially rolled over some on sidewalls (common for a touring tire), then they sat down and took the line very well. Braking performance has increased about 25% on feel, probably 10% on distance. I expect good wet performance, my past experience with Cooper's RS3-A (a high-performance all-season leans hard on the performance part) was more than acceptable so I figure a touring will do well; if it does not I will report back. What I have noticed in the past with Cooper is they do not chase the last g in cornering, they tend to rise to and meet the threshold gradually so I do not expect a surprise.

I'll come back when winter hits and give some more thoughts. We don't get a lot of snow here, but enough for a snow review. I am a very experienced snow driver due to some places I have lived, I don't expect true winter tire performance but you can bet I will put them to more of a test than most people lol.
I've noticed about a 2 mpg highway drop over the crap OEM tires.

Wet performance has been very good.

We finally got some nasty winter weather the past couple of weeks. For an all-season tire I would rate these as 4/5 in snow. For the money they are excellent. The tires were able to dig and grab traction during combined "normal" turning and accelerating. Flicking resulted in predictable performance, much better than some of the "big name" all-seasons I have had in the past. Snow braking was also very good for an all-season, with only one "oh crap" ABS inducing stop on a sheet of ice.

If you can grab a set of these for a great price (I got them for buy 3 get one 1 free) and don't need a dedicated winter tire I highly recommend these for all-season use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my 2016 Elantra sedan vaule edition last June with 8k miles. The has been great except when I drove it when there is snow o the roads. The stock Optimo H426 tires completely suck. The first time I drove it with a small bit of slush on the road the tires won't grip worth a ****. I practically got stuck on a very slight grade with a line of cars behind me because it wouldn't grab. My second adventure the rear end swung out and I started skidding. Snow just covering the ground and going about 20 mph.

I just got some 15 in. rims and am putting some real snow tires on. I got some steel rims at Tire Rack. In looking at the reviews for the Optimo H426 OEM tires (made by Hankook) it seems I'm not alone. Lots of reviews that these things suck especially in the snow. All-weather my a$$. I'll keep them for summer but I can't wait to get them off the car for the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my 2016 Elantra sedan vaule edition last June with 8k miles. The has been great except when I drove it when there is snow o the roads. The stock Optimo H426 tires completely suck. The first time I drove it with a small bit of slush on the road the tires won't grip worth a ****. I practically got stuck on a very slight grade with a line of cars behind me because it wouldn't grab. My second adventure the rear end swung out and I started skidding. Snow just covering the ground and going about 20 mph.

I just got some 15 in. rims and am putting some real snow tires on. I got some steel rims at Tire Rack. In looking at the reviews for the Optimo H426 OEM tires (made by Hankook) it seems I'm not alone. Lots of reviews that these things suck especially in the snow. All-weather my a$$. I'll keep them for summer but I can't wait to get them off the car for the winter.
UPDATE: I got the 15 in. rims from Tire Rack and put on some Firestone Winterforce 195/65/15's all-around. In the first snow/ice drive here in the Boston, MA area the car seems 1000x more sure footed and drove like it should. IMHO, those OEMs are strictly warm weather tires and have no business being labeled as "all-season".

441 - 460 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
137 Participants
flemmons
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing