Hyundai Forums banner

421 - 440 of 480 Posts

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Im look to get a smoother rider out of my elantra, already changed the rear shocks to kyb and was wondering how low I should go on tire pressure to get a smoother rider? I'm currently running 32psi on them now

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Try anything from 30-45 and see what feels best. I personally like 35

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gonna try 30psi and see if the ride is a little smoother, if not going try higher psi to get better mpg' s .

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
It all depends on personal preference, brand of tires and general road conditions. Some people also like different tire pressure in front and rear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It all depends on personal preference, brand of tires and general road conditions. Some people also like different tire pressure in front and rear.
But i'll bet Kentucky doesn't have super-high taxes and streets with more holes than a Syrian Airfield - like Connecticut does. lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just replaced the OEM tires. Put on Continental True Contacts. The OEM Hankooks lasted 4 summers ( I run winters as well ) and wore evenly right down to the wear lines. Only had the Contis on for less than a week, but can already appreciate the difference in noise and handling. I always ran my summer tires at 32 psi and they wore evenly, so I'll continue with the new tires as well.

·
22,777 Posts
Tire pressure is really determined by the tread compound. You can start with 32 psi, but be prepared to adjust up or down depending on how they wear.
This comment set me to thinking about my set of tires. Just to help me get this concept thru my hard head (wife's analogy...not mine), I'm running 90k rated Pirelli's. Best case scenario. Rated 760/A/B. That 760, the hardness of the tread's rubber compound...they appear to be wearing pretty well keeping them at/about 36psi and ride fine. (Another routine 5k rotation/balance scheduled @ 8am, tomorrow.)

What's your opinion on running them at 32psi? I know the lower pressure will reflect in an improved smoothness of the ride? Side note: I should check what the tire OEM recommends, also. I "think" I recall Hyundai throwing out the 34psi number once upon a time.

Just wanted to get your thoughts, sir.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just replaced the OEM tires. Put on Continental True Contacts. The OEM Hankooks lasted 4 summers ( I run winters as well ) and wore evenly right down to the wear lines. Only had the Contis on for less than a week, but can already appreciate the difference in noise and handling. I always ran my summer tires at 32 psi and they wore evenly, so I'll continue with the new tires as well.
I've had a set of the Control Contacts, for about three years. Im very happy with them. They're a 90,000 mile rated tire, and I have just over 60,000 miles om them. Tread is about 6-7/32, And I keep them at 35psi. I hope you have, as good, an experience, as I've had.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've heard good things about the True Contacts. Excellent all-around tire. Works well in winter too. I heard it also saves fuel. Have you noticed an increase in MPGs?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Tire pressure is really determined by the tread compound. You can start with 32 psi, but be prepared to adjust up or down depending on how they wear.
The tire sticker on the door frame states 32 psi for 215/45-17 tires. That's what I ran the Hankooks at. However, the Hankooks had a 1 ply sidwall and the Contis have a 2 ply sidewall so I may indeed have to adjust as I go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Walmart specials...

I've been through some tire drama with my 2012 Limited. I just replaced my Goodyear Fuel Savers (?) with Walmart specials. These are the best tires I've had on this car.

I went with Douglas 215/50R17 instead of the spec 215/45R17's that came on the car. The ride is MUCH smoother, the road noise is completely gone, and the fuel economy is tolerable.

I've had no rubbing at all with these slightly larger tires. I got out the door for $375 for the set. I did go on ebay and buy 4 OEM TPMS sensors for $10 each (PN 52933-3X200). (Universals at Walmart are $40 each.) After a few miles of driving my TPMS light went off.

Two thumbs way up. Recommended...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Just to clarify, the Douglas are the best tires you've had or the Goodyear fuel savers were?

Hard to do apples to apples when you changed tire sizes - i.e. I would expect any 50 series to ride better than a 45 series, so it's hard to say if the tire or the size change made the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to clarify, the Douglas are the best tires you've had or the Goodyear fuel savers were?

Hard to do apples to apples when you changed tire sizes - i.e. I would expect any 50 series to ride better than a 45 series, so it's hard to say if the tire or the size change made the difference.
Douglas are the best. The Goodyears were good for MPG, but they were noisy and gave a rough ride. I paid about $600 for the Goodyears.

The Continentals that came on the car had a sidewall failure at 10k mi.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It's going to be time for tires very soon. Was hoping the Hankooks would make it to the end of the year, but I don't think they will. 2 are probably at 3-4/32, the other maybe 4-5. Shockingly, they still handle great on wet roads. Just in a heavy storm yesterday afternoon.

So, been checking out many brands and reading what others on here have said. I looked into the P7's but too many complaints about wet traction. I want a quiet tire with good tread life. Last tires I bought for my last car were the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and I was really happy with them. Only put about 32K on them before car was totaled. They were rated at 50K miles. At 32K the "S" was just started to wear away. So with that, I've been looking into the Continental PureContact DWS, rated at 70K and reviews seem to be good. I've considered some Michelins, but ratings are lower and prices higher. Tire Rack compared the P7, PureContact, & the Michelin (can't remember which) and rated the Michelin 1st, but stated the PureContact was just behind. Size I'm looking at is 225/45R17.

Just curious if anyone has tried the PureContact?

·
22,777 Posts
@solman98: I have not. But over time, I've read some great reviews on those Continental PureContacts. Here, on this forum.

I was running Bridgestone Serenity Plus' on the '13. @someguy's (and others) satisfaction with the Parelli brand sent me into that direction shortly after I bought the '17. I've not noticed any problems where wet conditions were concerned. And snow was okay. But ice? Oh, brother. You need to have your head on a swivel!. But, Oklahoma rarely gets ice. So, for the day or so that we do, I alter my plans. And my routes.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
It's going to be time for tires very soon. Was hoping the Hankooks would make it to the end of the year, but I don't think they will. 2 are probably at 3-4/32, the other maybe 4-5. Shockingly, they still handle great on wet roads. Just in a heavy storm yesterday afternoon.

So, been checking out many brands and reading what others on here have said. I looked into the P7's but too many complaints about wet traction. I want a quiet tire with good tread life. Last tires I bought for my last car were the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and I was really happy with them. Only put about 32K on them before car was totaled. They were rated at 50K miles. At 32K the "S" was just started to wear away. So with that, I've been looking into the Continental PureContact DWS, rated at 70K and reviews seem to be good. I've considered some Michelins, but ratings are lower and prices higher. Tire Rack compared the P7, PureContact, & the Michelin (can't remember which) and rated the Michelin 1st, but stated the PureContact was just behind. Size I'm looking at is 225/45R17.

Just curious if anyone has tried the PureContact?

Those were also on my original list of possible replacement tires. Also a set of General (maybe Altimax?). If you can wait a few more weeks Discount Tire and others will almost certainly do a July 4th sale so you can get Michelin, Conti, Pirelli or whatever has the best deal.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Those were also on my original list of possible replacement tires. Also a set of General (maybe Altimax?). If you can wait a few more weeks Discount Tire and others will almost certainly do a July 4th sale so you can get Michelin, Conti, Pirelli or whatever has the best deal.

I'm in no immediate hurry and still looking. I ran a set of Altimax (can't remember which varity) on the wifes last car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In spite of having close to 40-50% tread left, I replaced my OEM Hankooks a few weeks ago. I had done mu homework and read the reviews on the Pirelli P7's (OkieRich and others here and on other sites) and looked at the P4 Four Season Plus. The Tire rack reviewers liked the P4's better for responsiveness and noise. I have never liked the steering on my '12 E so thought better responsiveness might help and low noise would be good. What could I loose? They have transformed to car. I can't believe just how much better these tires are even in 20+ MPH cross and head winds. The car can now be driven on the highway gently with one hand. Couldn't do that before. Now, my ER is feeling "NORMAL". However, in spite of the P4's being LRR rated, I have immediately seen a 2-4 MPG reduction in average mileage. Highway mileage is worse. It is hard to get higher than 32 or 33. I used to be able to get 35-39 MPG. WTF?

Thought I'd throw one more data point to the discussion.

421 - 440 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
137 Participants
flemmons
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing