Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I do know is the OEM low roll resistance tires are junk. We changed ours this week at 80,000 kms (50,000 miles) BUT we used winter tires for half that mileage, so that means these OEm tires only lasted 25,000 miles. We priced a set of four summer touring tires at Canadian tire and even with get fourth tire for free it would be $700 installed for four...so we went with the Hyundai dealer tire choices and the General Tire ones came in at $515 when you include the $50 mail in rebate, they tell me these should be good for a true 50,000 miles , I hope so cause we primarily do highway miles on good pavement so not impressed with OEM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, i dont know too much when it comes to this stuff, I have a 2012 elantra limited with 215/45/17 tires. Im browsing kijiji right now and found a set of 205/65/16 winters that came off of a 2011 sonata. So is this a good option for me if the price is right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The diameter will be bigger. Go to tire rack and look at the specifications for this size tire and look at how it changes the speed. rims n tires site has a place to see a side by side comparison compair the two sizes and look at MPH of KPH change.
Best of luck,
Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok here is my 2 cents. I have an Elantra GLS Sedan (Manual) with about 42k on it. Stock was the hankooks 205/55R16. The car was purchased in the fall of 12 and I use it to travel to Central Western Maine from metro Boston 230+m one way, as well as going to work 18m one way. I actually thought Hankooks were "ok" But they were replaced a little before 30K. One trip back down the Maine Turnpike in a driving snow storm convinced me to get dedicated snows and I didn't buy Hankooks. Hence Ice X3's on my steel rims. They are very good for Ice and bare highway but too expensive and just ok in deep snow (My dad's driveway is over 1/8 mile and over 1500 ft altitude), (I have never been stuck) I then purchased Limited 17" rims from another member for summer. I have recently put on Bridgestone Ecopia 422 in a non Elantra size 205/50R17. I am Happy with them but they will never see snow. I am still working on the new TPMS sensors that will be cloned and programmed to be exactly the same as my snows (Alligator Sens it). If I were to have only one set of tires they would have been the Pirelli's Cinturato P7™ All Season Plus tire but I need snows.
In all of my research I have found out that tires are designed arount 3 elements Traction, Wear and Rolling Resistance, Increase one ability loose another. I believe that is why factory tires wear out quickly. The resources I used were Tire Rack, Ecomodder, rims n tires and others. There is no free lunch, pick what is important to you! I wish everyone the best, It was as hard for me as picking out the car.
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
The diameter will be bigger. Go to tire rack and look at the specifications for this size tire and look at how it changes the speed. rims n tires site has a place to see a side by side comparison compair the two sizes and look at MPH of KPH change.
Best of luck,
Chris
Im not a huge car buff by any means, am i going to care/notice thee differences between the two tires? And most important will the tires actually fit on the car? Thanks!

·
22,787 Posts
It was as hard for me as picking out the car.
I could not agree more with that statement. When I finally made my decision after agonizing over all the factors for months? I felt like a huge weight had just fell off my head. Kind of like a migraine sufferer finding that one pill that offers total and complete relief.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Guys

So It's time for me to replace my 4 rubber shoes size 17" 215/45-17
Waiting for the sale that usually happens on July 4th at Discount tire, as they will match any price of other resellers and will have the holiday specials

Decided to go with Michelin tires, her are my option:
http://tires2.costco.com/SearchResults.aspx?SearchID=d842e6fb-6314-424c-b34c-fcfee37e07e1

Talking about the first 3 from the list as they all come around $510 for a set of 4
Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S 3
Michelin - Pilot® MXM4®
Michelin - Premier® A/S

I live in Austin TX, and drive between 10-12K miles a year, so any tire with more than 40K miles is good for me, prefer not to go with tires of 60K miles and up.
Normal driving for me and when I carry my family, I still ENJOY my driving the car after 3 years.
Usually my tires dries before I reach this mileage.

My heart goes with the Pilot Sport, but want to hear other people advice
Also- should I replace my TPMS units while on it?

Regards
G.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What about MXV4? I do believe it is a tad cheaper than MXM4 and it is pretty much a well-known, go-to tire that a lot of people choose. Heck, we have them on 2 of our cars and they're holding up fine after 3 years. They are on daily drivers, also.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I just got the Premier A/S mounted yesterday on my GT and have a logged maybe 30 "experimental" miles on them. Super quiet, and really responsive. So far I've been on new asphalt (you can't even hear them), pebble infused asphalt (half the volume of my OEM Nexens) and concrete on land, and bridge, and they are much quieter there also. I took the car to a parking area I use as a slalom when the mood strikes, and the grip is excellent, and stopping is just so very nice and controlled. No wet use yet, but the reviews I've read are very positive in that respect. These have a 60K warranty, and I got a nice package deal at Costco. I know it's only been a day, but my first impressions are all positive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Michelin Tires

Hey

Yes, I know and after checking reviews on Michelin website decided to go with the Premier® A/S, the price difference at costco is $5 extra

Regards
G.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Cool. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've had pure summer tires that were not as sticky as these.

I called my Costco as soon as the tracking showed they had been delivered and set up my appointment. Two days later, I got the email from Costco saying they had arrived. By then I had already gone by and tried getting in ahead of the appointment, and got lucky. Someone cancelled an appointment, and I was in and out before the email even arrived.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TPMS replacement

Hey N5S-Matter

Would you recommend replacing the TPMS sensors at the same time, usually their lifespan is 5 years depending on driving and temp?

Regards
G.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey N5S-Matter

Would you recommend replacing the TPMS sensors at the same time, usually their lifespan is 5 years depending on driving and temp?

Regards
G.
Well, consider your model year (or more importantly the build date), and if you don't plan on getting rid of the car in the next year or two, the tires will most likely outlast the sensors. If you do it now you wouldn't have to bust the tires off later, so it seems like a logical thing to do.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
There ya go, fellas. Everyone please keep it focused on tires.
I'm a month late... But I has a sticky thread! :D

My Michelin's are the bomb. I can't imagine the driving my car without them.... Really made the other sets of tires I had look like garbage.

As far as the TPMS goes.... There is a "reset" kit for the battery and seals I believe... Is that what we are talking about? They don't actually replace the unit, they "reset" it with a new battery and seals, it's like $10/tire.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm a month late... But I has a sticky thread! :D

My Michelin's are the bomb. I can't imagine the driving my car without them.... Really made the other sets of tires I had look like garbage.

As far as the TPMS goes.... There is a "reset" kit for the battery and seals I believe... Is that what we are talking about? They don't actually replace the unit, they "reset" it with a new battery and seals, it's like $10/tire.
Hey, which Michelin's did you go for? Premier A/S?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So my wife hit a chunk of curb that was sticking out into the road with the Elantra yesterday. It took a small chunk out of the wheel (cosmetic) and tore a hole in the sidewall of one of the crappy OEM Hankook tires. Instead of wasting money on replacing that tire with the same kind I decided to replace all 4 with a better tire. Today I will be picking up a set of 4 Continental PureContact with EcoPlus. They are the #2 rated in the class tire and sound be good on the car. I have to drive up to the Tire Rack warehouse at noon to get them then bring them home and get them mounted.

Has anyone put a set of these on their Elantra yet? If not I will post driving impression next time I drive the car a long distance. After driving over 200 miles in the car last weekend, I am 100% confidant I made the right decision replacing all 4 tires.

21 - 40 of 480 Posts