Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(We really need a sticky for tires, someone should get on to that...)

Mimi (my 2011 Elantra) started out with OEM Continental tires (ProContact I believe) and they lasted all of 22K with 3/32nd's tread left on all four. At the time Mimi was still a leased vechile, my parents being floored with the idea of having to buy new tires... they went with cheap Epic Tour tires from NTB.

(This is where a sticky for tires would have came in handy!)

I went to Sears today to get the alignment adjusted (as I got in a minor finder bender, and it seemed to throw it off ever so slightly.) to find that with almost 44K on the odometer, the cheap tires are down to 2/32nd's tread. Time for replacement. I tried looking on the forums for a tire thread, but couldn't find one easily, but one tire rung a bell. The Michelin Primacy MXV4. And at $124 a tire, I couldn't refuse. (Sears carries Roadhandler-made by Hankook with a 100K tread wear warranty, but I didn't want Hankook's since we have them stock on our car and they aren't that great, and for the same price I could have "better" tires.)

So far with only 10 miles of driving, I have noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in road noise (will put that to the test on my next trip to wherever my job takes me) and also better handling, no more tire spin/TCS kicking in when I have to whip out of a parking lot onto the road/freeway. So far, so good. Apparently they are going to be renaming them, hints why I got them for only $124 vs. $150+.

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments to my spiel? Or any other recommendations? (Not for me obviously, but for those who are looking for tires?)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have Pirelli P7's and love them. Will be getting Hankook Ventus HRII put on this weekend with the new wheels, hope those ride well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Low road noise, ride comfort, and traction on light snow is not bad at all! Also they are wearing pretty well after 7k miles.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is lots of tire talk here as the stock tires are not the greatest. It seems like its hard to go wrong with Michelin.

Low road noise, ride comfort, and traction on light snow is not bad at all! Also they are wearing pretty well after 7k miles.
I have the P4 Pirelli and agree with all of the above. After 20K they still look great with lots of life too.

·
22,777 Posts
I haven't heard one discouraging word about the Pirelli P4's or the P7's. One of the doctors at work has the P4's on his Beemer. Loves them.

And, like Someguy said, Michelin's are pretty spectacular, too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What timely thread. At 82k miles just put on our 3rd set of tires. OEM hankooks just sucked. Yokohama's 580 OK. Michelin primacy mxm nice but down to 4/32 with 30k miles on them. Don't know why these were the fastest wearing Michelin's we've owned. Got a little money back as they were rated for 55k miles. Just got pirelli p7 and they even quieter than the Michelin's and softer ride. According to spouse these are"stickier" as well. Yeah, she has a heavy foot. If they hold up close to their 70k mile warranty, will expect these to be the last set for the little E.

·
22,777 Posts
Nice job, afpj. While the tires composition may attribute to their premature wear, the E's rear tracking may have had some influence. All I can suggest is religious rotations every 5k, and pressure vigilance. But, you already know that, I'm certain.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
A sticky for tires would be nice. Especially now since my wallet is about to go on a weight reduction venture. With 5/32nds left, I can for the moment browse and never get tired of reading these reviews.

·
22,777 Posts
Curtis, I can't imagine how much tires cost on the islands since nearly everything must be imported via water/air.

·
22,777 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Continental Truecontacts

Just bought a set of Continental Truecontacts from Canadian Tire. I had bought my 2012 Elantra two weeks ago and the dealer had taken off the studded set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice and Snow II's and replaced them with Zeta ZHR10's. I hated the tires. Had a hard time finding reviews but when I did wasn't impressed with comments about wet traction. So the Truecontacts made an immediate impression but it is too early to give a good review.

On another note, a couple of years ago, I bought a new Mazda3. The salesman told me that many manufacturers install a very soft compound tire on their new cars so they get the feeling of a nice soft ride during your test. Those tires were crap and I replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (now) Plus. No complaints.

·
22,777 Posts
Have the Turanza Serenity's on mine. Talk about two ends of a spectrum when comparing them to the OEM offerings? Quiet versus Roar. Smooth versus Hard ride. 75,000 mile rating versus "does anyone even have a clue?" :eek:

Nice, hearing the occasional wind outside for the first time since owning this car. And turning the Bluetooth volume down from 25+ because of the OEM's tires to a more reasonable and tolerant 14 (or so) when using my phone.

·
22,777 Posts
외국인;2426313 said:
I will be trying out some Hankook RS3s soon. I'll report back when i do.
ALL critiques and reviews welcomed. They help each of us make better decisions when that headache time comes due. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I replace the OEM Hankook tires, will I really see a reduction in road noise? I thought it was related more to the general sound insulation of the car then the tires. But, after doing some research this weekend, I see the Hankook Optimo h426 get terrible reviews everywhere. On rougher roads here in WA State, the road noise is awful.

·
22,777 Posts
Tread design has a lot to do with noise. The "sipes" design in the tread are one of the contributing factors. I know it's subjective, but I always enjoy looking at reviews of tires for items like noise, smoothness, and treadwear. Lots of tire site offer these reviews from tire owners. But, again, subjective. How do you know the guy that says his tires are the quietest he's ever owned isn't almost deaf as a stump? :grin:

·
Registered
911 Posts
But, again, subjective. How do you know the guy that says his tires are the quietest he's ever owned isn't almost deaf as a stump? :grin:
By looking at the trends. If large majority of reviews of a decent amount claim the tire is loud or wears quickly they all can't be wrong.

Yes I know "what's a decent amount of reviews". That's up to you. Also the individual reviews that sound reasonable to you can give a clue if the posters are reasonable or not.

A real good example is our own KYB thread. If a few posters say its junk doesn't make it true.

1 - 20 of 480 Posts
About this Discussion
479 Replies
137 Participants
flemmons
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing