Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GLS came with 205/65/16 tires. If I wanted to go to a bigger tire like a 215/60/16 tire, will this bigger tire fit on the OE rims that came orignially with the GLS???

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The 215-60-16 (26.2" diameter) and even the 235-55-16 (26.1" diameter) are actually a tiny bit "shorter" than the stock 205-65-16 (26.5" diameter), based on the specs sheet for various tires on tire rack. If by "bigger", you mean "wider", then 215-60 will fit and there is no reason I can think of why the 235-55 steamrollers wouldn't fit as well with the stock wheels (and offset), but there's no guarantee.

Going with 215-65-16 would add 3/8" in width and 1/4" in height - a wider and taller tire. Be careful when considering taller tires because the comparatively tight turning radius of the Sonata means the design allows the front wheels to turn at sharper angles. And at those sharper angles, the larger tire radius, along with wider tire cross section, can result in the tire rubbing on part of the frame or suspension/steering components. This is not usually an issue if you are going "up one size" in width or aspect, but be careful when boosting one or the other (or both) by two sizes. No way in heck anyone can jam a set of 235-70-16s (3" taller diameter, 1" wider) onto a Sonata. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am running 225/55R17 tires on my GLS, and they are 1.1" wider and .5" taller than the stock 205/65/R16 tires that came on the car. I have aftermarket rims, though and I have no rubbing problems whatsoever even on hard turns at full lock. My speedometer is probably a percent or two off now, but I really don't mind. I think the 1.1" wider tires and the solid strutbar I am running give the car a much more "planted" feel on off ramps and sharp curves. I am not 100% sure if bigger tires will rub if mounted on stock rims. I think one size wider like you are looking at should be fine.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
good responses by everyone else, no need for me to add to it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Nov 24 2010, 12:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374427
good responses by everyone else, no need for me to add to it :thumbsup:
+1 I agree, definately good input to my question. Thanks guys!!! If anything, I'm lookin for a more WIDER tire. The width of them skinny azz OE 205's just doesn't look right on these '11 Sonata's. Just my .02

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here's a closeup of the tires I have on now. They are noticeably wider than the stockers. I didn't have any pics of the stockers from that angle, but they were much skinnier...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts