Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching new tires, and new tire sizes for my Accent 2013 SE. I read here in the forums that 205/50-16's would have no problem and I see a great many more tires available in that size. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus has some fantastic reviews on TireRack and I'm wondering if those would be compatible. However, a TireRack online chat rep stated that " A 205/50-16 will be taller than recommended. A recommended alternate size is the 205/45-16." I'm reaching out to you guys for any input on those two sizes. Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Been riding on 205/50-16 for almost 10,000 miles. No issues here. MPG and speed are the same. Oh and they add to comfort.

Here's something I snipped from a site comparing the two different sizes.

205/45/16:
Pros: Lower effective gearing, ~2 lbs less weight, Quicker turn-in/less sidewall squirm, lower center of gravity.
Cons: More road noise and bump harshness, bigger wheel well gaps

205/50/16:
Pros: Better road isolation, better fender filling for a lower look
Cons: slower acceleration , ~2 lbs heavier (can these be felt?)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I swapped the OEM tires for 205/50-16s and it's an improvement in just about every category. I think the quality of the replacement tire can nullify most any disadvantage if you're not looking for performance only. The 205/50-16 is noticeably wider ( .4 inch vs. stock ) but you have to look hard to see that it only fills the fender a little more. A 205/50-16 is within the normal diameter spec for a tire upgrade and IMO would be preferable to a 45 series. Sometimes Tire Rack reps are like calling on mutual funds...they can only give a pre-approved answer from the computer without a disclaimer...and sometimes those suggestions are not what you need.

I also tried to keep within a lb. ( greater or lesser ) of the 19 lb. stock tires and the 205/50-16s ranged from 17-23 lbs. Obviously, you don't want to put 4 lbs. of additional unsprung weight at each corner but it's something to be aware of....like mrmr256, I haven't noticed any mpg hit and the speedometer is almost the same.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Of those two sizes, the 215/45-16 is pretty close to the OEM diameter. When I upgraded I wanted some extra width with a slightly larger sidewall so 205/50-16 seemed perfect. The 215/45-16 has just a pinch shorter sidewall than OEM while the 215/50-16 has over a half inch higher sidewall and over a 3% larger diameter. The 50 series may work but the overall dimensions of the tire may not be what you're looking for...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts