Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Apologies for the newbie question, but I'm looking to replace my OEM tires on the premium hybrid. My criteria:

1. Something more durable (the current OEM tires go flat when they even look at a curb).
2. Something less noisy.
3. Something that handles better in snow and ice.

In doing research here, these following have been suggested:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Michelin Defender V rated
Continental PureContact

I'm leaning towards the PureContact ones, myself, but wanted to seek some more input and suggestions. I commute about 52 miles one way and even though I've had my two front tires replaced recently with OEM, I'm done with them. They are horrible on snow and ice. I don't mind a slight mileage hit, either. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
22,793 Posts
Not my car, but the P7's, the Defender, and the Serenity are all excellent choices. And that choice comes at a price. I chose the Serenity's for my Elantra.

The Continentals may be an excellent tire brand. But their Conti-Pro Contacts that were on both my E's were loud, hard riding, and quick wearing. But, then again, they were cheap OEM offering that came on the vehicles. Continental's other models (your reference: Pure Contact) may be fine. Just stay away from those ContiPro's, IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry, don't know what size you are looking for but I had a Lincoln before my Azera that had Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 on it and they were great tires. They were great in the ice and snow, were not loud and wore like iron. I had 48000 on them when I traded the car and they probably would have gone another 10000 to 15000 mile easily. They are not cheap but well worth the money, IMO. I will probably be looking at them this summer to replace the tires on my Azera if they have the size I need. The tires on my Azera won't be worn out by then, but I'm not going another winter on the tires that are on it. The fact that they are a LRR tire is a bonus.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, all.

The current tire size (OEM) on my hybrid is P215/55/R17.

The local Discount Tire store has P7s and Michelin Defender V in stock. Made an appointment to get one or the other put on. Defender is 'spensive! I'll check reviews. They could order the others. I was leaning towards PureContact. Either way, I can always save 'em for the next hybrid ;).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks, all.

The current tire size (OEM) on my hybrid is P215/55/R17.

The local Discount Tire store has P7s and Michelin Defender V in stock. Made an appointment to get one or the other put on. Defender is 'spensive! I'll check reviews. They could order the others. I was leaning towards PureContact. Either way, I can always save 'em for the next hybrid ;).
I had Michelin Defender on the '07 Sonata I just traded - one of the BEST tires I have purchased in 47 years of auto ownership. Very quiet, good in rain and pretty good in light snow, quite good in icy conditions, very comfortable ride.

I wish they came in the 205/65/16 size...I may put on the 215/65/16 and live with the 1.3% variation.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
660 Posts
There is an existing thread out here about tires and all of our opinions. I bought the Serenity Plus and love them. Extremely quite tire and handle fantastic in deep water. There are several folks who got the Conti's and love them, like Vinny. Lots of good tires out there. I think Vinny gave you the link. Read them all and draw your own opinions.

Chuck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tired and wheel locks from ****

Thanks for all your comments, fellow drivers. I did review the thread and that's where my original suggestions came from. I've decided to go with P7s, inexpensive, highly rated, widely available.

Unfortunately, but new tire quest turned into a nightmare. Sometime ago I curbed my car, resulting in a flat. Alas, the lovely McGard OEM wheel lock key broke off in the lock and I did not have a replacement. Today, I visited the dealer to get one (gotta order it) and tired to tire stores (neither could get them off). Fortunately, I found the registration and order form and I'll be returning them to McGard to get two replacement keys. I also discovered that the lug nuts for the hybrid are not standard, at least according to AutoZone. I was able to pick up additional lug nuts at the Hyundai dealer. It's been a trying day, though. My Saturday got totally hijacked.

The wheel locks were part of the package the dealer threw in when I bought my 2012 premium (not even a year old and 50K on it). In retrospect, it was a poor decision on my part. I don't live or work in a high crime area and the car is garaged at nights. I also suspect not many thieves would steal OEM tires off a hybrid. I'll be leaving them off when I get the new tires on. It will be easier to do maintenance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also suspect not many thieves would steal OEM tires off a hybrid. I'll be leaving them off when I get the new tires on. It will be easier to do maintenance.
Agree, who wants stockers!?

Ending up on P7s will be worth the trouble. They will be a great upgrade.

Similar experience. I am 30 days into 2013 Hybrid ownership, and bought a set of 2011 wheels to mount new snow tires on (Blizzaks!).

Thought I got a great deal. Then learned that the air pressure electronic sensors were not on the wheels. So, with shipping, pressure sensors etc, My SPARE stock wheels cost me $200 each, plus tires. :::sigh:::

LOL, I come from a 15 year old Mercedes, so tire pressure sensors are new to me. Did not even know they were there.

But, while driving in 6" of snow this week, 500+ miles from home, I found my peace with those costs. Never had any mobility issues, and made it home without yielding any scheduled plans to the weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why V rated

Why V rated tires?Are you going to go 149mph in your hybrid?S or T rated is good enough.You are going to pay a lot of extra $ to V rated:(

·
Registered
400 Posts
I believe OEM 17" is V rated and OEM 16" is H rated. While I'm sure it's fine in most cases, insurance companies might give you trouble if you go below the lowest rated tire OEM on your vehicle and had an accident that may be related to tire failure.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I believe OEM 17" is V rated and OEM 16" is H rated. While I'm sure it's fine in most cases, insurance companies might give you trouble if you go below the lowest rated tire OEM on your vehicle and had an accident that may be related to tire failure.
I never knew that Reg, but I guess they can use that as an excuse to get out of paying a claim. I recently saw a tv show about hurricane Sandy and it was ridiculous how many people were denied claims because of loopholes in the terminolgy written in their policies. I never paid any attention all these years to the speed ratings on my tires when making a purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why V rated tires?Are you going to go 149mph in your hybrid?S or T rated is good enough.You are going to pay a lot of extra $ to V rated:(
One never knows how fast I'll be going, especially if I win the lottery. :).

The tires I have now on there are v-rated. The Kumho Solus KH25 P215/55R17.

I've replace two of those crappy OEM tires and that's enough for me. They do not do well in winter weather and are noisy. I'm almost tempted to buy some snow tires, too. It's been a brutal winter here in Indiana. The state (and many of its drivers) do not know how to handle snow and ice.

I'm still waiting on the replacement wheel lock key from McGard. Hope it comes soon.

I may wander down to Discount Tire and get snow tires on my second car. It's an Elantra GT.

·
22,793 Posts
One never knows how fast I'll be going, especially if I win the lottery. :)
Son, if you win the lottery, you will care less about going anywhere fast in a Sonata or an Elantra GT. Maybe a 429 HP Genesis! :laughing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perhaps not in the Hybrid or Elantra, but maybe a Ferrari or Tesla :)

After five years of commuting two hours to work on an interstate with a bunch of idiots, if I do win a lot of money it's very tempting to have a Breaking Bad moment leading police on a high-speed chase. I'll be fliping-off semi drivers and Lexus cars.

Then again, maybe I'll just buy an island. :).

·
22,793 Posts
I'm all-in on the Tesla. Parked next to one in a hotel garage in Breckenridge. Couldn't take my eyes off it. Pulling my wheeled luggage as I walked towards the elevator, I kept looking back over my shoulder to look at the thing. It was like a 4-wheeled drug had overtaken my common sense urge to resist looking. What made it worse is that I had to stare at the thing for 5 days. I sure do miss it! :grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm all-in on the Tesla. Parked next to one in a hotel garage in Breckenridge. Couldn't take my eyes off it. Pulling my wheeled luggage as I walked towards the elevator, I kept looking back over my shoulder to look at the thing. It was like a 4-wheeled drug had overtaken my common sense urge to resist looking. What made it worse is that I had to stare at the thing for 5 days. I sure do miss it! :grin:
:) I dream about the Tesla. Perhaps one day...

I also have some interest in the Elio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately, but new tire quest turned into a nightmare. Sometime ago I curbed my car, resulting in a flat. Alas, the lovely McGard OEM wheel lock key broke off in the lock and I did not have a replacement. Today, I visited the dealer to get one (gotta order it) and tired to tire stores (neither could get them off). Fortunately, I found the registration and order form and I'll be returning them to McGard to get two replacement keys. I also discovered that the lug nuts for the hybrid are not standard, at least according to AutoZone. I was able to pick up additional lug nuts at the Hyundai dealer. It's been a trying day, though. My Saturday got totally hijacked.

The wheel locks were part of the package the dealer threw in when I bought my 2012 premium (not even a year old and 50K on it). In retrospect, it was a poor decision on my part.
YOU THINK SO????
First thing I did was DEMAND the dealer remove his identification tag on the back if my HSH (he's not paying me to advertise) and pull those wheel locks..
Do you get an insurance discount? NO
Does anyone get their wheels stolen? 50yr. Driving & not 1 stolen.
Are wheels covered by insurance? YES
What are you paying insurance premiums for?

Pickup trucks have the spare under the bed and it's not locked!!! Ask a pickup driver if he's ever had his spare stolen let alone any of the wheels.

I sold the wheel locks at a garage sale for $20...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
YOU THINK SO????
Yes, I hear ya.

Do you get an insurance discount? NO
Not that I am aware of.

Does anyone get their wheels stolen? 50yr. Driving & not 1 stolen.
I suspect some people do get their tires stolen, but it depends on location and circumstances.

Are wheels covered by insurance? YES
Yes, but often times its the deductible that gets you.

What are you paying insurance premiums for?
According to my premium, mostly for collision and medical.

Pickup trucks have the spare under the bed and it's not locked!!! Ask a pickup driver if he's ever had his spare stolen let alone any of the wheels.
I'll pass. I've already made up my mind about wheel locks, so it would be a waste of my time. They are not valuable for my situation.

I sold the wheel locks at a garage sale for $20...
I'm not going to bother wasting my time selling them, or wishing them on another unfortunate soul. :). Bye bye, wheel locks.

Anyone have recommendations on winter tires? I may want to get a pair of those for my Elantra GT or Sonata in addition to running the P7s.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts