Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have had my 2017 sonata limited for about 3 years and has 67k miles. Tires are the kumho solus ta31 215/55r17 and still have some life but seems like the ride has been rough and every bump felt lately. I'm assuming this could be tires, balance, or something else. I'm looking at getting a new set of tires but more in the comfort and quietness range. Looking at the Michelin defender t+h or the Goodyear assurance comfortred touring. Any advice or experience with either would help thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
389 Posts
I did Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack one size up on factory 17"rims.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
we have a 2020 sonata, and 2021 elantra hybrid. the sonata came with 18" pirelli pzero. i wanted smaller wheel/tire with more sidewall, and bought a set of 17" takeoffs. they came with michelin primacy tires. immediately i noticed the ride was smoother and quieter. then we bought the elantra, it came with hankook kenergy gt 17". we installed a set of bridgestone turanza quiettracks. on the same roads, the bridgestones have a fairly pronounced whine, which has quieted down a bit, but is still there. the michelin is quiet on the same roads. i have not noticed an improvement in ride with the bridgestones over the hankooks, which seem to have been a pretty good tire. but we installed the bridgestones with about 300 miles on the car, so not a lot of time to compare.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've got Primacy's and will recommend Michelin.

My previous Bridgestones were quiet too.... Quiettrack

Just remember... when it comes to MPG, life, noise .... you usually sacrifice traction

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
we also had 2 2016 elantras. the first got pirelli p7 at about 400 miles. the second got michelin defenders at about 900. both were smoother and quieter than the factory kumhos. at 33k, the pirelli(60k tread wear guarantee) had worn down to the tread wear indicators, and were much noisier and harsher than the defenders, which still had 7/32 tread, and were still smooth and quiet. the pirellis were then replaced with michelin defenders. both cars were soon traded in for the cars we have now

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Go to tirerack.com and compare the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II to the Kuhmo our cars came with. Absolutely night and day. I'll be going with the P7 when I replace. There are a few tires that get just a little bit better sound/ride rating than the P7 but it is very little and they cost a lot more. YMMV

Reactions: clay282

·
Registered
2015 Sonata Limited 2.4 GDI non turbo 40k miles
33 Posts
I had Continental ContiProContact which kept quiet even when quite old. But I'd keep in mind two things: the Sonata is not well insonorised for tire noise, unfortunately. I had to lift the carpet and to add insulating material on mine because the Kumho tires got way too loud. There is some sound dampening material at the pedals and also inside the fender, but it's way inadequate. Second, everything depends on the road surface, old concrete or asphalt surfaces will always cause the tires to be significantly louder. When I hit new road surface, the original Kumho go dead quiet
As for the harsh ride, it is mostly due to the low tire profile : 55 is quite low and coupled with rather cheap dampers it gives harsh ride when inflated over 33psi. You can choose to lower the psi, or to go with a slightly larger tire size - it will change a little bit the indicated speed. I suggest a 215/60/R17 size which should add 1cm height on the tire wall and offer a slightly smoother ride.
For the speed change, with a 215/60R17 instead of 215/55R17 your actual speed will be 67mph and the speedometer will show 65mph Speedometer Calibration (tiresize.com)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
For a better ride you need more sidewall to allow absorbing shock etc.. Here's a good site to compare. Tire Size Comparison A 205/65/16 would be very close in size to the stock tire. That takes new wheels too of course. Another advantage of that change would be a noticeable reduction in unsprung weight. That would help handling and acceleration.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Michelin Defender was one of the quietest tires I've run. As mentioned above, higher aspect ratios give a better ride, I won't run anything higher than 17".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got Kumho majesty 9 solus ta91. Its the highest class line up Kumho has. And for some reason they run about $130 at tire rack for 2.0t 18 wheels (which is cheaper than some lower Kumho tires). Michelins would have more longevity but for the price I was very happy with it. (buy it from tirerack. One of my tires got nailed and tirerack covered the exact replacement)

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Sonata SE White
51 Posts
Another thought:
Buy a good tire pressure gauge to make sure you are opeating at recommended pressures. I had a fancy digital gauge that was way out of calibration that left me running 40+ psi and the ride was awful (but the handling was great).

i once spoke to a Ford chasis engineer who said country of origin was the best single indicator of tire quality. Chinese tires are dangerous junk, he said. Korea/Thaiwan tires are generally okay (but getting better). American tires are good to very good, with Japanese tires being somewhat better. European tires, because of strict regulations there, generally do the very best.

You have to do some research to see where the tires are manufactured. Some American brands make some of their products in Asia, so the tires conform to that country's regulations and not always top American standards. Yes, all tires sold in America must meet minimum acceptable performance, but there is a wide difference in those standards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cessna makes a good point. The only problem is… I purchased a great one and checked it against gauges that are calibrated (or so they said) and on my car, the dash reads 2psi over when it’s dead on. And in the summer heat, that gap widens to 4psi at 85mph on the interstate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts