Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how far of the tire pressure can be on the Limited/GLS before the tire pressure light comes on? It seems we are having an issue with our GLS sometimes its on sometimes it is NOT, i really like the unit is hosed up from my wife using fix-a-flat, either way, I would think that if it was bad from the fix-a-flat that the light would always be on.

I have the tires withing 1/2 all the way around and set at 33psi when cold, i have checked the pressures with the light on as well and it is always right around 33psi +/- 1 or 2 psi.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The system is looking at extreme spread, and a "below threshold".. dont ask me to translate their wording, safest thing to do is just put 35-37 psi in them ballon for tires and drive it, light typically go off in a couple mile after signals all captured from all 4 wheel to module..

Was told at school that ideally noting should be put in tires, only compressed air, liquids/chemiicals can foul/damage the sensor in the wheel.. GDS scan of TPMS module for DTC and look at current data for all 4 sensor may show something at fault.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Does anyone know how far of the tire pressure can be on the Limited/GLS before the tire pressure light comes on? It seems we are having an issue with our GLS sometimes its on sometimes it is NOT, i really like the unit is hosed up from my wife using fix-a-flat, either way, I would think that if it was bad from the fix-a-flat that the light would always be on.

I have the tires withing 1/2 all the way around and set at 33psi when cold, i have checked the pressures with the light on as well and it is always right around 33psi +/- 1 or 2 psi.

thanks in advance.
I don't know about Hyundai because we don't have TPMS on Hyundais in Canada. Nevertheless, I had it on my Highlander, and generally, the light would go off if the pressure dropped about 5-6 lbs below set pressure. I say set pressure, because the target pressure could be set by the owner...you pump to desired pressure, then press and hold a button and the car computer would remember as that as the target pressure and work down 5-6 lbs from that as the "turn light on" trigger.

I don't know where you're located (suggest you update your profile so we can tell), but if you're getting very cold weather, the change in temp can change your pressure. Not sure it is enough to drop it enough to trigger the light, but something to consider...especially if you find the light going off after the car has sat and tires cooled, then turn off after driving and thus tires heating up (causing pressure to go up).

If not, does the spare have a TPMS? In the highlander, we had a full spare and about 95% of the time someone had a TPMS light going off, it was their spare tire.

If none of those, how accurate is your tire pressure gauge? could it be faulty? If not, then perhaps it's time to see the dealer for possible faulty sensor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It may be much lower than you'd expect. The TPMS in my wife's VW Tiguan will only go off when the PSI hits 25 or so. When, you know, it's painfully obvious that the tire is low.

I wonder if the Santa Fe is similar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am from Oregon and have a 2013 and don't have the TPS on my LTD. I never new there was TPS available on our vehicles. Is it supposed to be on 2013 Sante Fe LWB TTD models??

·
22,793 Posts
Mine illuminate whenever the pressure drops to 24-24.5 psi. This equates to "about" a 25% tire pressure drop from the OEM-recommended 32 psi found on my door sticker. Hope this helps.

·
22,793 Posts
I am from Oregon and have a 2013 and don't have the TPS on my LTD. I never new there was TPS available on our vehicles. Is it supposed to be on 2013 Sante Fe LWB TTD models??
If you bought your car in the USA, you'll have them. Look at your dash display when you insert the key. See the little icon that looks like a cut-out of a tire with an exclamation point inside? Orange color?

Also, look at the valve stems. Not your "old style" rubber stems. Plastic, grayish in color. Silver caps, usually, but not always. If the cap is green or blue, this would indicate you're probably running nitrogen inside the tires.

Check your owner's manual. Best info on the planet! Right at your fingertips!

·
Registered
756 Posts
The TMPS saved some $$ in my previous '07 SF when a got a flat. Promptly stopped and replaced with spare tire before damaging it. I really liked the in-dash light told me which tire had the problem.
I remember it would also lit only below 23 PSI. Still very useful.

The new '13 SF will illuminate when one of tires is low, it won't tell which one though. You need to check all four of them. That's why I keep a tire pressure gauge in the car...

I checked the other day before my long trip to the mountains and PSI was 29 on all of them. No TPMS light on, I am guessing, according to OkieRich, it has to drop a lot more. Still very very useful.
A fried of mine on a Mazda CX-9 with TPMS ( which dis not work well ) figured out he had a flat tire only when it was too late and he had to replace two of them... ouch!

·
Banned
532 Posts
The system is looking at extreme spread, and a "below threshold".. dont ask me to translate their wording, safest thing to do is just put 35-37 psi in them ballon for tires and drive it, light typically go off in a couple mile after signals all captured from all 4 wheel to module..

Was told at school that ideally noting should be put in tires, only compressed air, liquids/chemiicals can foul/damage the sensor in the wheel.. GDS scan of TPMS module for DTC and look at current data for all 4 sensor may show something at fault.
I hope sbr711 can help me out again, it was explained to me TPMS is based on 4 tire rotation compared to each other, rather than the actual PSI. Explained to me was: A RF tire is low, it rotates less than the other three, the system throws a fault. This is from about "07, I learned from my brother-in-law's who are farmers, they learned it from their mechanics.

Pick ups and cars in the area would throw faults during the year without any PSI problems. The tire rotation and how it worked was then explained to them. (If they pulled my leg it wouldn't be the 1st time nor the last, but I've gotten my share, I've always loved shaving cream on the wall phones ear piece.)

This explanation makes sense: On gravel roads everyone tries to drive on the center crown of the road- not in the "ruts" caused by 2 way traffic, you do this for a smoother ride and less gravel noise. One set on the center lane line the other on the middle of the lane.

At times they have to ride on the "middle crown" (the area under the cars body), the left tires are on the middle crown, right tires are in the soft shoulder (to make room for a combine or a 9620 Deere to pass). The soft shoulder makes the right tires "sink" so it appear's they're low according to a rotation standard, while the left tires are on a firm solid road, making it appear they're at normal PSI. The TPMS gives a fault showing a tire is low and needs air. How they do it when a car can tell which tire is low? It could be a separate transmitter for each tire but based on rotations, that's my guess. I've never had a TPMS reset until after I've checked the tires, then driven for a while.

Wow.....a lot of hot air for a single post. :confused:

sbr711 some help please, oh wise one.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Toyota did the tire rotaion speed difference thing back about 12-13yr ago when Sienna van came out.. low air reduce diameter of tire, thus smaller tire rotate faster, and module see the faster wave form/higher voltage from speed sensor at offending corner of car, and light come on.

Today as of 2007 .GOV making mandnatory to all motor vehicle, we have small transmitter inside each tire (TPMS sensor) that transmit sensor ID, battery state, tire' air temp, tire air pressure to module.

A few yr back Hyundai used a low line (simple) system that turn light on when tire(s) deemed to be low.. on a couple of the the high end Hyundai, we had a "high line" system that turn light on, and had a simple car diagram in cluster that illuminated the appropriate tire symbol to show which tire low,,, remedy the air pressure, and drive maybe less than a mile and light normally shut off

·
Registered
237 Posts
I liked the TPS in the Buick Enclave that I traded in for the Santa Fe. It gave you the actual pressure in each tire, so you didn't have to speculate. I measured the pressure myself with a tire gauge many times, and the TPS was pretty accurate.

·
22,793 Posts
I liked the TPS in the Buick Enclave that I traded in for the Santa Fe. It gave you the actual pressure in each tire, so you didn't have to speculate. I measured the pressure myself with a tire gauge many times, and the TPS was pretty accurate.
That's a nice feature. Maybe Hyundai will incorporate this design in future models. The Equus may already have it. The Enclave is a Top-Tier vehicle and one would expect to get this from Buick Motor Division. And, at a price. It's only money!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Equus may already have it. The Enclave is a Top-Tier vehicle and one would expect to get this from Buick Motor Division. And, at a price. It's only money!
On a recent trip, I rented a Chevy Cruze. It had pressure readings for all 4 tires. Not just for high-end cars.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I believe most cars will warn you of low pressure if it's under 25% of what the recommended psi is. So in a 33psi tire like ours, light would come on when you have about 25psi or less. Not sure Hyundai follows that recipe which in my opinion is too forgiving but it should be close.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I read somewhere that TPMS light will come on for a 25% difference in air pressure...
This is actually interesting. That would be one more reason to over-inflate your tires.
If you have 35 PSI then your TPMS would lit at 26 PSI - reasonable.
If you have 30 PSI then your TPMS would lit at 22 PSI - a bit too low.

Personally I am going to stick to 33 PSI, light on at 25 PSI - ok

·
Registered
74 Posts
On a recent trip, I rented a Chevy Cruze. It had pressure readings for all 4 tires. Not just for high-end cars.
Yes, GM products give you tire pressures for each individual tire. The drawback is if the yahoo rotating your tires isn't aware of this and doesn't go through the procedure to reset their location, they will be wrong.

How to Reset the Tire Sensors on GM Cars | eHow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts