Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum. I did a search but I have such a specific question I filtered through a bunch of rim questions and didn't find an answer.

I have a 2012 Elantra 4 door GLS. Came with 16" steel rims. These are 6.5" wide with 53mm offset I've found. I want to buy these 17" rims:
Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

I did the calculator at rimsntires.com and I really like the combination of a 205 width tire with 50 sidewall on this rim.

Question: I know the 205 width will fit on a 7" wide rim but seems like it might be stretching it just a little. Is it advisable? Advantage/Disadvantages? I just want to be sure the lip of the rim will not be totally exposed and that wear, handling, alignment, etc will be desirable.

Any pics anywhere of this set up on an Elantra?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
205 will fit fine on 7" wide rims. I had 205's on 17's in the past. Just be aware that tire width varies from manucturer. Some company's make 205's to the exact specs, while others make make them a little wider. I've seen this many times.

Some tires have rim protectors, so look into that. Going wider doesn't necessary mean it's going go protect the rim better. It comes down to how the tire is designed.

·
22,788 Posts
Agreed. Have 215/45R/17's mounted on my 6.5" wide Sonata chrome wheels with a 46 offset. Fit is fantastic. I'm going with the 205/50R/17's on the same rims, soon, for replacement. No problem seen with this upcoming mod.

As Phu stated, rim protectors incorporated into the tire's design are a nice feature. This WILL save your rims from curb rash, IF you use reasonable caution when parking next to curbs. And we all know "Rash Happens."

If you do happen to rub up against the curb, chances are that this protection will come into play before the rim does. And rims are an inve$tment you want to protect as long as po$$ible. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts